The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/vasili-podkolzin-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

This isn’t the one I read before, but after a quick search, it still says the same thing.  

Near the bottom it has STRENGTHS

and UNDER CONSTRUCTION.  

The improvements needed were decision making and hockey smarts.  

It was talked about when he was drafted too I believe.   I know they talked about it a lot on sportsnet after we drafted him.  

Based off what I read, his decision making problems stem from getting frustrated and attempting to do too much when things are going wrong. 

"The second knock on Podkolzin is that he can get carried away at times when he is frustrated and tries to do too much. This can also lead to ill-advised penalties. Yes, he’s still very young, but when he tries to make it a one-man show and doesn’t use his teammates properly, it can lead to turnovers and goals against. With maturity and good coaching, this can certainly be easily fixed." (The first knock was his point totals and his playing in so many different leagues)

If that is his decision making knock it's not a bad one. Sounds like he plays the game very well in all zones, until things go wrong then he grips his stick too tightly and in a sense does too much. He tends to play hero ball and let his emotions get to him. There are worse decision making knocks. Jake's thinking the game being one. I don't see Pod's decision making being too detrimental if it's just him trying to do too much. I dunno if his emotions run so hot he takes cheap shots either. We'll see though. Thanks for the read. I never watched the draft on TV so I didn't hear them speak about Pod. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Based off what I read, his decision making problems stem from getting frustrated and attempting to do too much when things are going wrong. 

"The second knock on Podkolzin is that he can get carried away at times when he is frustrated and tries to do too much. This can also lead to ill-advised penalties. Yes, he’s still very young, but when he tries to make it a one-man show and doesn’t use his teammates properly, it can lead to turnovers and goals against. With maturity and good coaching, this can certainly be easily fixed." (The first knock was his point totals and his playing in so many different leagues)

If that is his decision making knock it's not a bad one. Sounds like he plays the game very well in all zones, until things go wrong then he grips his stick too tightly and in a sense does too much. He tends to play hero ball and let his emotions get to him. There are worse decision making knocks. Jake's thinking the game being one. I don't see Pod's decision making being too detrimental if it's just him trying to do too much. I dunno if his emotions run so hot he takes cheap shots either. We'll see though. Thanks for the read. I never watched the draft on TV so I didn't hear them speak about Pod. 

Like I said, I think he’ll be great.  
The article said Hockey Smarts and Decision making.  
sounds like questionable hockey iq. 
I don’t see it being an issue as he matures though.  
Im high on the kid for sure.  I love his style. 
I do NOT see him getting close to 100 points though.  That is straight up 12 year old kid fantasy. 
That was my point.

46 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/vasili-podkolzin-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

This isn’t the one I read before, but after a quick search, it still says the same thing.  

Near the bottom it has STRENGTHS

and UNDER CONSTRUCTION.  

The improvements needed were decision making and hockey smarts.  

It was talked about when he was drafted too I believe.   I know they talked about it a lot on sportsnet after we drafted him.  

Interesting take considering reading the blurbs in that article and none suggest there is a problem with his hockey smarts and yet it's concluded there. I guess if there is improvement, then it's to almost "play down" to his linemates at times as he's getting frustrated that they aren't reading off his plays. The largest viewing time I've had of him was the World Juniors and that was what seemed to be happening. He's making the smart plays, but his linemates couldn't bury the chances after he had opened them up for a scoring chance on several occasions.

And that just on the offensive side of things, he's works hard on the backcheck and knows where to be to create turnovers on defense as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Truth is no one knows how Vp will be able to do in the prime of his career. If you cant forsee a 100point season or don’t think VP is capable of it then that’s your choice, you’re choosing to set a ceiling on him. I choose not to set a ceiling. Like I had said, with top end players I still believe he can have a monster season down the line 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have no idea who Nathan Kanter ( the hockey writers journalist ) is or what special scouting skills he bring to the discussion. I like to know who the messenger is. This much I do know Larionov was on sports 650 in an interview and he spoke very highly of Podkozin and suggested he'd be the Captain of the WJC team. I couldn't tell how well the kid will bebut I'm inclined to believe Larionov :)

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Interesting take considering reading the blurbs in that article and none suggest there is a problem with his hockey smarts and yet it's concluded there. I guess if there is improvement, then it's to almost "play down" to his linemates at times as he's getting frustrated that they aren't reading off his plays. The largest viewing time I've had of him was the World Juniors and that was what seemed to be happening. He's making the smart plays, but his linemates couldn't bury the chances after he had opened them up for a scoring chance on several occasions.

And that just on the offensive side of things, he's works hard on the backcheck and knows where to be to create turnovers on defense as well.

Agreed. 
like I mentioned, this isn’t the og article I read.  Didn’t spend any time looking for it. This one said along the lines of the same thing.  
They harped about it on SN as well when he was drafted. 

Im really excited to see this kid. 

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

For sure, for sure. I agree with that point as well. If he can bring that physicality and tenacity in all 3 zones he has shown so far I am happy with this pick. He adds a dimension to our skilled guys that we are sorely missing, but he is not a Tarasenko/Ovechkin. Pod really does sound like he could become like JT Miller though. Miller wears his heart on his sleeve too and sometimes does too much when the team is getting clapped. He is great in all 3 zones, something that is regularly said about Pod. Can't wait for Miller to mentor Pod. 

Maybe he can hand the mentoring down to Virtanen by then.:)

On 7/7/2020 at 8:40 AM, wildcam said:

I think Podkolzin  19, 6'1, 200lbs, will be a solid NHL player playing 1st or 2nd line, PP solid on forecheck, aggressive style, will drop his gloves -

GP 75 -- G 24- 27  --  -- 65-70 PTS -- Will be a complete player and will look great playing with Petey or Bo.

Very exciting future another top end player for Vancouver.

Experts will say he was a great pick at #10 spot..He should of been a top 3 pick but being Russian and signing 2 year KHL deal some teams get scared..

Glad we drafted at # 10 spot..

Last year's draft was a total crapshoot.  I think everyone knew that Hughes and Kakko would be 1/2, and Byram would be top 5, but it was real wide open after that.  Going into the season, I think Podkolzin could have gone as high as 3, and many rankings had him as such.  

There were a few factors that led to him dropping:

-The USHL guys- Hughes, Turchotte, Zegras, Boldy, Knight, Caufield, York all got crazy hype as the season went on, creating a ton of variance on draft boards

-Podkolzin signed a 2 year deal with CSKA

-Sieder and Broberg became the "reach for position" picks that we see each year (Kotkaniemi and Hayton the year before).  Not saying  they were the wrong picks, just that no one saw them coming.

-But most of all, Podkolzin didn't produce enough in his draft year.  Tons of reasons why, but ultimately a team with a high end pick is going to have a hard time picking a winger with great tools and potention, but few results.  That type of move could easily set a team back a few years and is too big a risk.

I'm very happy with this pick.  I do feel he has the potential to be a top 5 player out of the draft.

Edited by BCNate
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Last year's draft was a total crapshoot.  I think everyone knew that Hughes and Kakko would be 1/2, and Byram would be top 5, but it was real wide open after that.  Going into the season, I think Podkolzin could have gone as high as 3, and many rankings had him as such.  

There were a few factors that led to him dropping:

-The USHL guys- Hughes, Turchotte, Zegras, Boldy, Knight, Caufield, York all got crazy hype as the season went on, creating a ton of variance on draft boards

-Podkolzin signed a 2 year deal with CSKA

-Sieder and Broberg became the "reach for position" picks that we see each year (Kotkaniemi and Hayton the year before).  Not saying  they were the wrong picks, just that no one saw them coming.

-But most of all, Podkolzin didn't produce enough in his draft year.  Tons of reasons why, but ultimately a team with a high end pick is going to have a hard time picking a winger with great tools and potention, but few results.  That type of move could easily set a team back a few years and is too big a risk.

I'm very happy with this pick.  I do feel he has the potential to be a top 5 player out of the draft.

It’s very interesting how every year, the draft has trends much like any market, and savvy investors can take advantage. In 2019, the USNT class created a hot market for American prospects, while other nationalities, like Canadians and Swedes, were comparatively soft. For 2020, you see the Canadians on the rise, while the Americans and Russians look potentially undervalued. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out, but I suspect there will be some good value on the board for Day 2, especially looking at the Americans (USHL, prep/high school) and Russians (especially MHL). Hopefully our scouting in those regions is strong, because I think the overall trends suggest there will be some good value available, with some potential 1st/2nd round talents falling to the 3rd round and later.

Expect Poldkozin to grow another inch or two and get even more solid as he fills out. Going to be even tougher to defend.  If he can play at 6’3 & 205-215lbs he’s gonna be a handful 

He’s got better vision and play making ability than people give him credit for. so on a line with a top sniper he could rack up many points on assists alone. 

VP also has a quick release and when he finds the puck on his stick around the net he’s putting it too cheese before the goalie can react. With a top playmaker VP will have many more opportunities to score. 

and if he can just convert at a higher percentage on the grade A chances he creates for himself then he’s going to have multiple ways of collecting points. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/7/2020 at 12:19 PM, drummerboy said:

Take a look at the lists of people who have scored 100+ points at in the last couple years.  
It is a very impressive list of extremely high end players.  

VP is going to be great, but he isn’t a big point getter.  Never has been and probably never will.   
The kids game isn’t about putting up huge offensive numbers.  
It is about forechecking, hustle, aggression, etc....   

He isn’t a great shooter, his hockey IQ has been questioned, and he isn’t all that fast.  

Like I said, he will be a great player, but this 100 point thing is dumb and unfair to the kid.  

100pt... no, but he could be a guy to get his linemate to such rare heights if he stuck with Ep40.   

His IQ isn't and was never an issue, often it is his linemates that messed up some sick setups.

What Podz brings to the table is being a puck hound turnover machine and has a knack for getting his passes once he gets the puck.  

Whether his line mates which there were many, or his age which is a much bigger determining factor to ice time in the KHL, or his playing on many different teams, but many of his feeds seem to surprise his linemates which simply couldn't handle the pass, missed times the shot or just blew it.  

NHL linemates won't have those problems.  

Podz is not a line driver, he is a catalyst guy who gets the 3rd assist or takes the hit to turnover the puck or just runs over the puck carrier.  He isn't the finisher, he is the initiator.  Put him under Millers wing for a while and watch his game take off.  

BTW, we have some players who could break the century one day, one plays defence... one plays center....  

17 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

100pt... no, but he could be a guy to get his linemate to such rare heights if he stuck with Ep40.   

His IQ isn't and was never an issue, often it is his linemates that messed up some sick setups.

except it has been called into question.  
I don’t see it being a big issue myself, but it has been discussed. 

What Podz brings to the table is being a puck hound turnover machine and has a knack for getting his passes once he gets the puck.  

Whether his line mates which there were many, or his age which is a much bigger determining factor to ice time in the KHL, or his playing on many different teams, but many of his feeds seem to surprise his linemates which simply couldn't handle the pass, missed times the shot or just blew it.  

NHL linemates won't have those problems.  

Podz is not a line driver, he is a catalyst guy who gets the 3rd assist or takes the hit to turnover the puck or just runs over the puck carrier.  He isn't the finisher, he is the initiator.  Put him under Millers wing for a while and watch his game take off.  

BTW, we have some players who could break the century one day, one plays defence... one plays center....  

Sorry, but no we don’t have a dman who could hit 100.  
At this point I’d be pretty surprised if Petey does.  

It’s getting hard to come to the prospect board.   It’s like reading a bunch of 2nd graders short stories. 

21 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hughes is going to be a VERY special player for us but there’s been only 14 times in the ENTIRE history of the NHL that a D had put up 100+ points (this includes the era when it seemed like everyone was scoring 50+ goals in a season).  And those 14 times were accomplished by the same five players.  Might want to dial down the expectations a little.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hughes is going to be a VERY special player for us but there’s been only 14 times in the ENTIRE history of the NHL that a D had put up 100+ points (this includes the era when it seemed like everyone was scoring 50+ goals in a season).  And those 14 times were accomplished by the same five players.  Might want to dial down the expectations a little.

No kidding right?

I don’t go into the proposal and armchair forum because of this same Peter Pan nonsense.    Prospects is starting to look the same.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hughes is gonna score 60 goals next season. Quote me on it.

• Haha 4
  • Wat 1

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Pretty sure he was talking about Fanta. ;) 

• Cheers 2

On 7/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Lol....I got a better chance at being a Mod (and there ain’t enough gold in Fort Knox for me to bribe people to make that happen):P

When Fort Knox's depository opened, there were 649 million ounces of gold stored there. They believe there are about 147 million ounces left. 

• Cheers 1