The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Sweden never shutdown and they have over 45% herd immunity...maybe Russia is doing the same thing to get immunity?

fyi, Sweden may not have a second wave because of its immunity. 

The death rate is a more important stat if you are concerned.

Sweden is building for a second wave just behind the rest of Europe, it’s cases are on the rise.

sweden wasn’t just laissez faire with the virus they still had social distancing and measures in place, they just didn’t have a full lock down. They also experienced the highest death rate of the Nordic countries by a significant margin. 

you also have to take into account demographics and population densities when looking at the figures as that plays a significant part in the transmission. 

ineould argue the most important stat isn’t the death rate but the excess death figures as this allows for a baseline comparison. (albeit a crude one)

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thinking more about our growing young core and the near future, I think Podkolzin could really go a long way in establishing the identity of Horvat's line. 

Horvat and Podkolzin are two big, strong, tough players to battle against. They both have some speed, play a rather simple north-south game and are responsible defensively. I think combining them on the 2nd line and letting them develop chemistry could be very beneficial for the team. Ideally, they would develop into a weapon that would be used the same way as the Kesler line in 2011.

Playing against other teams top lines, be hard to play against and good defensively, but also be more than capable for contributing offense. That's very valuable to have behind a lethal Pettersson line. Again, it would be very similar to the Kesler - Henrik dynamic or even the Toews - Kane setup where both lines are run to each player's strengths and used effectively. Throw another high energy player like Hoglander in the mix and the spots start to fill out:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Re-signing Toffoli would put a bit of a wrinkle in that lineup since he'll force one of the young forwards down, but either way the Canucks are in a good position up front. 

• Cheers 1

New teammate for Podkolzin.  The Predators have loaned Yakov Trenin to Saint Petersburg until the start of the 2020/21 training camp.  He was drafted in the 2nd round of 2014 and has played a few NHL games last year.  Poile sees him on the main team this coming season.  

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:58 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely.

Glad to see him show a willingness to throw hands. Podz probably needs to work a bit on his fighting technique, but he showed that he has a solid chin (he ate a stiff punch about five seconds in and it didn’t faze him much) and some good strength and balance, staying on his feet, and finishing with the takedown.

I don’t know much about his opponent (#86 Nikita Dynyak), but stats say he’s around 6’ 0” and 185 lbs, so he’s not the biggest guy. But he also puts up fairly high PIM numbers, so probably a player who mixes it up fairly regularly.

Better than this

alex-bongos.gif

Edited by theo5789
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thinking more about our growing young core and the near future, I think Podkolzin could really go a long way in establishing the identity of Horvat's line. 

Horvat and Podkolzin are two big, strong, tough players to battle against. They both have some speed, play a rather simple north-south game and are responsible defensively. I think combining them on the 2nd line and letting them develop chemistry could be very beneficial for the team. Ideally, they would develop into a weapon that would be used the same way as the Kesler line in 2011.

Playing against other teams top lines, be hard to play against and good defensively, but also be more than capable for contributing offense. That's very valuable to have behind a lethal Pettersson line. Again, it would be very similar to the Kesler - Henrik dynamic or even the Toews - Kane setup where both lines are run to each player's strengths and used effectively. Throw another high energy player like Hoglander in the mix and the spots start to fill out:

Re-signing Toffoli would put a bit of a wrinkle in that lineup since he'll force one of the young forwards down, but either way the Canucks are in a good position up front. 

As much as I love him, I doubt he's ready to step in to that role immediately upon arrival. Re-signing Toffoli (x4 years) helps keep him on the third line to start where he can wreak even more havoc in a more sheltered role initially.

He can fill in up the lineup should one of Boeser/Toffoli get hurt but that shouldn't be his default location initially IMO. 

By year 2-3, if he surpasses Toffoli, we can slide Toffoli down to third line duty and/or eventually look at moving him to plug holes elsewhere/recoup futures.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mll said:

New teammate for Podkolzin.  The Predators have loaned Yakov Trenin to Saint Petersburg until the start of the 2020/21 training camp.  He was drafted in the 2nd round of 2014 and has played a few NHL games last year.  Poile sees him on the main team this coming season.  

Trenin is the dude that rocked Zdeno Chara in their fight this season.  

Edited by VancouverHabitant

On 9/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Signing Toffoli will give us depth and we need that depth to win the cup. Look at Tampa's forward corp. Even their 3rd line has a young player scoring 20 goals or  more like Gourde. Now imagine if Podkolzin was playing as a 3rd line winger with another capable center and maybe Lind. That would make us a much deeper and tougher team to beat.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Anybody that can drop Chara to his knees needs to be picked up by Benning. He’d be a great 3rd line centre.  Maybe he can develop a good partnership with Podkolzin. 

Well it seems they might be playing together on Podz team in the K.

... and seeing that Podz is starting to get his swagger going,. Could be fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

I’m excited for this kid’s future and what’s in store for him. He plays a simple game while being able to be physical as well. He could use some work on our end of the ice with one of his main strengths are his ability to make plays with the puck. Plugging and seeing him in the future with Bo or Petey on his line will be exciting to watch

On 9/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, theo5789 said:

Better than this

alex-bongos.gif

Semin?  Remember the fight he was in was hilarious.   That said good job on keeping his right skate from slicing up Marc Staals ear during his “ ground and pound “ ha ha.  I’m sure he’s used to fighting with his brothers as a kid  - and that this was how they usually ended up with him being the youngest (and matched the style of a 5-7 year old boy attack)- which is why I’m guessing he’s covering up ...