The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

This kid is NASTY. Paired with Horvat, we could have a disgusting Top 6 in a few years. Don't even care who is on the LWs

Exactly. 

Pettersson - Boeser 

Horvat - Podkolzin 

Gaudette - Madden 

Dynamic duos are shaping up nicely!

• Like 3

A great thing to keep in mind for this draft is that Podkolzin is one of the younger players that were available. Points may not fly off the page, but the fact he played against men at such a young age and acquitted himself well is a real bonus.

Really high in this pick and can't wait for him to be here in a couple years!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What I loved hearing yesterday is that if it weren't for his contract, he could almost play right away for us. Being that close to ready to play I'm the NHL at 17 (almost 18) is special. This kid's you know what have barely dropped and he's already a star. I wanted Zegras and was super sad he didn't fall one more spot to us, but now I'm really thinking we just stole VP and hit another draft home run. When he joins us in two years he is going to be more than ready and barely turning 20.

Get this guy some English lessons! 

I like Pod's size and emotional makeup. The Canucks need a high end forward willing to challenge the net front. 

I have been very negative on Tryamkin's wasted time back in the KHL. IMHO it likely costs him his NHL career, if he wants one. Pod on the otherhand can play in the KHL for 2 years and still come to the NHL at 19! Being a forward is one of my main reasons for saying this. He will play against men and have time to improve his skating. That said if he decides to come over next year with a KHL buyout he will come to a more developed NHL team than what Virtanen and McCann had. 

• Upvote 1

Have to admit I was a little shocked when JB picked a Russian player at ten. I had written off Pods as a pick just based on my own biases. Then my boy reminded me of how much I loved this kid at the World Juniors last year and I instantly perked up. I remember now commenting on this jitterbug player creating havoc and forcing play. Excited for the prospect and if he can eventually play that way in the NHL he will be a huge part of the team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Brobidus said:

Not quite! I think there is a subtle difference. He's probably more like Bo than he is like Virt. 

Virtanen when drafted was a goal scorer, with suspect IQ but with incredible motor skills and physicality.
Podkolzin is a puck-hound. He needs to work on his high-end speed, but has incredible persistence, puck-control, and takes pride in being both a play-maker and a goalscorer. His IQ is definitely not being questioned, it's part of his forté. I'm also not sure if physicality is something he is being praised for - it's more that he just wills himself through the defense, and does it a bit more violently. A little like Bo in that sense, just more aggressive. He is built like a tank, but doesn't go out of his way to throw his weight around. He's more interested in points than hits.

Comparisons I've seen thrown around: Rick Nash, Vladimir Tarasenko, Dale Hunter, Alexander Radulov, Artemi Panarin.
I like the Radulov comparison. I think he has a touch of Roussel's personality in him.

Podz = Russian winger version of Bo with a more puck-hounding mentality, but less disciplined and cool. 

A Russian Bo was my comparison as well. He can play in every situation and wants to drive the net like a bull. His skating isn't great right now, but he's also only 17, which is just crazy that he's this advanced already. Just imagine when he gets his actual man body and legs. Some say he's ready already? Jeebus, he's already a man child. In two years we will get a major boost to our lineup... Right in time. I can't wait to follow him over the next two years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

There might be a chance that Pods might be BETTER in the smaller ice surface. If he can chase down guys repeatedly with his motor on the big ice surface, I would assume on a smaller one his closing speed would be a lot faster without exerting as much energy

I’ve heard the scouts say this, too! I’m excited!

38 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah how often do you see 17 year olds ready for the NHL? Last one I remember was Sasha Barkov.

I'm all for giving him the 2 years. We waited 2 years for Brock. I'm fine waiting 2 years for Podkolzin.

And he's 6ft and just under 200lbs already :blink:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think this kid is going to be a player. what I am not sold on is the difference in value between him  and say Boldy or Krebs. Given the choice to pick between and N American and a European , Russians included I pick the N American every time. How many Canadians on the Blues this year?

5 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think this kid is going to be a player. what I am not sold on is the difference in value between him  and say Boldy or Krebs. Given the choice to pick between and N American and a European , Russians included I pick the N American every time. How many Canadians on the Blues this year?

Tarasenko and Barbashev were both instrumental for that team. 

Look around the league. Russians aren’t an anomaly. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, rekker said:

Have to admit I was a little shocked when JB picked a Russian player at ten. I had written off Pods as a pick just based on my own biases. Then my boy reminded me of how much I loved this kid at the World Juniors last year and I instantly perked up. I remember now commenting on this jitterbug player creating havoc and forcing play. Excited for the prospect and if he can eventually play that way in the NHL he will be a huge part of the team. 

I was surprised and down on him some too. Jim and Judd have nailed our draft picks since 2017.  Us picking pod gives me huge confidence because we are so phenomenal at drafting! So stoked.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Boeser

Kaliyev-Horvat-Madden

Virtanen-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-Karlsson-MacEwen

Like to get Kaliyev, but he gets picked at 32.

Your team looks good though!  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

And he's 6ft and just under 200lbs already :blink:

6'1" 196LBS at age 17. He's one of the youngest players at the top of the draft.

He's thick. Lol. Let him fill out. He may reach 6'2 and fill out at 220-225. We did really well on this one Jester lol.

Edited by Rush17
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1