The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Tarasenko and Barbashev were both instrumental for that team. 

Look around the league. Russians aren’t an anomaly. 

Not arguing they dont have value. Its the lack of the threat to go home. Its the desire to win the Stanley cup over any other major championship. Its different today than when Pavel came over. Russian players have the option of going back home  and making the money the make here. I am hoping this kid sees the world differently than say a Tryamkin.

What happens when a coach say green tries to get the kid to find his own end like Goldobin. Does this kid work to improve or just say "screw you guys, i'm going home"?

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

JV, Bo, Podz...get out of our way or pay the price!

JV, Bo, Podz for sure. Add Pearson, Roussel and Beagle. It is an absolute need to get bigger. Hoping MacEwan can break in next year. Back on defense, it is still challenged. Eddy re-signed, Hutty and hopefully Schenn is re-signed. In the future Joulevi, Woo and hopefully Rathbone. 

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

JV, Bo, Podz for sure. Add Pearson, Roussel and Beagle. It is an absolute need to get bigger. Hoping MacEwan can break in next year. Back on defense, it is still challenged. Eddy re-signed, Hutty and hopefully Schenn is re-signed. In the future Joulevi, Woo and hopefully Rathbone. 

Yeah...to get better, I believe they need an upgrade on Hutton.

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Not arguing they dont have value. Its the lack of the threat to go home. Its the desire to win the Stanley cup over any other major championship. Its different today than when Pavel came over. Russian players have the option of going back home  and making the money the make here. I am hoping this kid sees the world differently than say a Tryamkin.

What happens when a coach say green tries to get the kid to find his own end like Goldobin. Does this kid work to improve or just say "screw you guys, i'm going home"?

He already knows his own end. Pick a different fantasy Green Pod fight please. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Brovat said:

He already knows his own end. Pick a different fantasy Green Pod fight please. 

Guy is compared to a pit bull.  The smaller the area for the fight, the better he’s going to do.  I really like our first three picks.  That’s three guys who are really hard to play against.

11 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

That's awesome. It's very rare to hear Canucks upper management to speak so highly of a Russian, but I think that has something to do with the fact that his playing style is very "North American" as Jimbo would say

• Upvote 1

Benning said in post media scrum that everyone in the draft class will be at development camp but Podkolzin.  Said they would need to obtain through the NHL to come to an agreement his KHL club and their league to allow him to come but said that they wouldn't be able to get the paper work done in time.

3 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Answer to what? Why do you write 1915 at the end of every post?

First off you know there are Russian players that go back to Russia to play when they are challenged to improve in the NHL. Tryamkin is a perfect example. I am not saying Podzolkin will i said I am hopeful he wont. I said given the chance to draft a Russain or European or a North American i would take the North American player every time. I am not denying this kids skill set. When its negotiation time we will see what I mean.

as for 1915 its obvious this is getting under some posters skin. Its under mine as well. i am not proud our city hasnt hoisted the cup for more than 100 years. The Canucks have been in the league for 50 years and I have watched probably 90% of their games  on TV or listened to Robson on radio, over that span, They werent always available on TV every game. Vancouver last one the cup in 1915.  When the rangers won it it had been since 1940. Other cities used to chant"1940" at them. It embarrassed the league. It might work for us also. 1915

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Add Miller.  

This is a big team all of a sudden.  

At least up front.  

Move Tanev.  

Bring on another d man thru FA, Myers,  re sign Schenn and bring back Trymakin and we have a big mobile defence with Hughes, OJ and Stecher for the skill.  

Not a mean team, but big and mobile with some super skilled players to utilize their line mates.  

I like the new looking nucks, just need to lose the deadweight middle 6 players like Eriksson and it's a happy post/pre season.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

First off you know there are Russian players that go back to Russia to play when they are challenged to improve in the NHL. Tryamkin is a perfect example. I am not saying Podzolkin will i said I am hopeful he wont. I said given the chance to draft a Russain or European or a North American i would take the North American player every time. I am not denying this kids skill set. When its negotiation time we will see what I mean.

as for 1915 its obvious this is getting under some posters skin. Its under mine as well. i am not proud our city hasnt hoisted the cup for more than 100 years. The Canucks have been in the league for 50 years and I have watched probably 90% of their games  on TV or listened to Robson on radio, over that span, They werent always available on TV every game. Vancouver last one the cup in 1915.  When the rangers won it it had been since 1940. Other cities used to chant"1940" at them. It embarrassed the league. It might work for us also. 1915

On the 1915 fair enough. I don’t think it will have your desired effect to post it on a Canucks forum though. Doesn’t annoy me I was just curious. 

I can see where you’re going on the KHL comments. Everything I’ve read about the kids character leads me to believe this won’t be a problem with him. Says he is great at taking and giving advice and when giving does it in a positive fashion to his team mates. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Trymakin went back due to a few things, being challenged on the ice wasnt one of them.  

I though he did quite well for a rookie.  He wasn't outstanding, but to be that big and mobile at the same time.... any contact and the other guy is toast.  

He rejected a contract offer and signed a deal elsewhere.  His choice.  It sucked for us and I think it ultimately hurt everyone in some way.  We could have used him these last 2 years.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Brovat said:

On the 1915 fair enough. I don’t think it will have your desired effect to post it on a Canucks forum though. Doesn’t annoy me I was just curious. 

I can see where you’re going on the KHL comments. Everything I’ve read about the kids character leads me to believe this won’t be a problem with him. Says he is great at taking and giving advice and when giving does it in a positive fashion to his team mates. 

again I am not saying Pod will have this issue its just they can use it as a bargaining chip , that's all im saying

Edited by mikeyman109

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Trymakin went back due to a few things, being challenged on the ice wasnt one of them.  

I though he did quite well for a rookie.  He wasn't outstanding, but to be that big and mobile at the same time.... any contact and the other guy is toast.  

He rejected a contract offer and signed a deal elsewhere.  His choice.  It sucked for us and I think it ultimately hurt everyone in some way.  We could have used him these last 2 years.  

again I dont disagree with anything you said here its all valid, but if we sign a N American skater he doesnt usually use this as a bargaining chip and we dont do without the player for a few years while he sorts out his desire to play for the cup