The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

5 hours ago, Grape said:

Does anyone know if Podkolzin doesn't know any English yet? Or is he one of those guys that understands and speaks a bit but just isn't fluent enough to do it on his own?

It looks like that latter is true. There is a short video clip where Quin Hughes welcomes him to the team and congratulates him and Pod understands enough to thank Quin in English.

I really wanted Zegras and it hurt having him go one pick before us.. After that I didn’t really care who we took, but was surprised JB had the grapefruits to take the Russkie.  I love the player. He’s my kind of player, he plays fearless. Against his own age group he dominated. The only downside is the Threat of staying or going back to Russia. If he played in CHL he could have gone 3rd overall. 

Edited by messier's_elbow
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

a couple of the more buried shift by shifts.

Podkolzin wasn’t who I wanted but I am growing to like him.  His lack of production in the mhl is what worried me but I think his lack of production was because of the jumping around leagues and his style of play.  He makes NHL/mature plays.  He doesn’t make the low percentage plays which yield more points in junior leagues , but leave you sitting on your butt in pro leagues.  Also, in these videos his team mates do miss some set ups.  

In addition to his great playmaking he is ridiculously tenacious and defensively solid.  I don’t think you can call someone with such good defensive awareness to have a low IQ.  I think in the second vid at the end of the second he blocks a shot then shortly after forces the puck out, which shows his defensive acumen and his will.

I feel there is no way he doesn’t make it.  Him being a star will hinge on him figuring how to take more risks.

But I know nothing about scouting or even hockey for that matter.  Just a Canucks homer!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I really wanted Zegras and it hurt having him go one pick before us.. After that I didn’t really care who we took, but was surprised JB had the grapefruits to take the Russkie.  I love the player. He’s my kind of player, he plays fearless. Against his own age group he dominated. The only downside is the Threat of staying or going back to Russia. If he played in CHL he could have gone 3rd overall. 

Seider at 6 is ballsy, taking Podkolzin at 10 is just smart. Only shortsighted misinformed fans and media types think it's ballsy to take a top 5 talent at 10. I think Burkie needed to change his pants after we snagged up Podkolzin. Kid is a stud through and through.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Zegras is a great pickup for the Ducks.  IMO JB has swung for the fences with Podz.  I heard the sound of the bat and he connected...  

Podz is coming to NA.  I don't doubt it one bit.  I can wait two years if need be.  Give him at least one and he will come over.  

With the move to aquire JT, JB is making a solid move to address team needs now.  He is going to add a top 4 RHD this off season.  He has too.  

He also hasn't really handicapped his successor if things dont work out.  JB missing this years playoffs is the end of him unless it's really close. If he misses this year, the club will make it next year.  Too much depth coming in not too and other teams are on a serrious decline.  

Our up coming picks aren't likely to be better than our 10th o/a this year.  

BPA was the order of the day and I love our first 3 selections.  The late rounder of Costmar could be an epic steal.  Our winger depth is addressed.  

If Teves and Brogan can become solid AHLers and call up players along with OJ, Woo and Rathbone meeting expectations we do have some depth at the bottom of our defence.  Hughes is a top 4 d man already, add a top 4 RHD that can play with Hughes and we will make the playoffs.  Marky, Demko and Dipeitro are a great young goal tending trio.  

Podz will be coming into a club that is on the rise.  Sick.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Great pick, did not think he would be there when we picked so bonus! Considering Jims success recently in the top couple rounds of the draft Id hope he tries to acquire a couple more high end picks for next draft. Whether thats taking a bad contract or trading some of our veterans throughout the year. Also really hoping we miss the playoffs this year so we don't surrender that 1st in a very strong draft

Tanev_______2nd+prospect

Sutter_______2nd

Baertschi____2nd

Pearson_____1st

Beagle______2nd

Roussel_____1st

Markstrom___1st+ prospect

Not saying we should or will trade all these guys, but all could be traded for the right price this year depending on their play. Hopefully we can stay a little more healthy this year!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Great pick, did not think he would be there when we picked so bonus! Considering Jims success recently in the top couple rounds of the draft Id hope he tries to acquire a couple more high end picks for next draft. Whether thats taking a bad contract or trading some of our veterans throughout the year. Also really hoping we miss the playoffs this year so we don't surrender that 1st in a very strong draft

Tanev_______2nd+prospect

Sutter_______2nd

Baertschi____2nd

Pearson_____1st

Beagle______2nd

Roussel_____1st

Markstrom___1st+ prospect

Not saying we should or will trade all these guys, but all could be traded for the right price this year depending on their play. Hopefully we can stay a little more healthy this year!

The only ones I see as possibly being traded from your list; are Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi. Lots of extra middling players will need to be moved over the summer and into training camp though.

IMO the on the bubble players are: Goldobin. Schaller, Motte, Granlund, Spooner, Eriksson and possibly Leivo later on in the season if both Pearson and Miller outplay him for top six and once Roussel returns from IR

I truly value and respect Brian Burke's opinion:

“This is a man. He’s NHL ready,” Brian Burke said of Vasily Podkolzin after the Vancouver Canucks nabbed him 10th overall.

It wouldn’t be fair to call him a polarizing player because just about everyone agrees he’s a future NHL talent. He can skate, score, play with some sandpaper and won’t be stood up by anyone. At six-feet-one, 196 pounds, he already has an NHL body or close to it and perhaps if he was drafted out of the CHL instead of the KHL, he may have gone to Chicago third-overall or Colorado fourth-overall.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The only ones I see as possibly being traded from your list; are Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi. Lots of extra middling players will need to be moved over the summer and into training camp though.

IMO the on the bubble players are: Goldobin. Schaller, Motte, Granlund, Spooner, Eriksson and possibly Leivo later on in the season if both Pearson and Miller outplay him for top six and once Roussel returns from IR

I agree with those 3 you mentioned as they were my top 3 on the list. I do think Marky has a good chance of being traded if Demko shows well for the first half of the year.

Out of your bubble players Id keep Goldy and Motte. Id waive/ trade(if possible) schaller, granny, spooner and Eriksson. I can see us starting the year with a fresh new lineup

Goldy/Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Honestly I hope we don't sign any UFA forwards this free agency. We have too much term and money locked up in redundant players as it is. Need to be patient and let our kids develop and take spots in the lineup. Im expecting Gaudette, MacEwen and Jasek(or Lind) to get a lot more NHL games in this year

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

First off you know there are Russian players that go back to Russia to play when they are challenged to improve in the NHL. Tryamkin is a perfect example. I am not saying Podzolkin will i said I am hopeful he wont. I said given the chance to draft a Russain or European or a North American i would take the North American player every time. I am not denying this kids skill set. When its negotiation time we will see what I mean.

as for 1915 its obvious this is getting under some posters skin. Its under mine as well. i am not proud our city hasnt hoisted the cup for more than 100 years. The Canucks have been in the league for 50 years and I have watched probably 90% of their games  on TV or listened to Robson on radio, over that span, They werent always available on TV every game. Vancouver last one the cup in 1915.  When the rangers won it it had been since 1940. Other cities used to chant"1940" at them. It embarrassed the league. It might work for us also. 1915

I am with you since '69. Listened to Robson on radio a lot and got to a few games in the old building. "1915" is a great chant idea. I sometimes wonder is I will ever see a CUP in Vancouver. 

Not happy that Pod will have 3 years in the KHL before he comes over here (if he comes). More chance of the pick going south on us. :) What ever the direction, just not here. Odds are Tryamkin lost his NHL career by going back to the KHL. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Marc Crawford on 1040 said he knows a lot of people who think Pod is the best talent in the entire draft.

JB did great to make this pick.

Have you ever heard Crawford come on 1040 and actually critic the Canucks? Doesn't happen. That said multiple scouts have Pod in the top 5. Hoping that he can buy out his contract and come a year earlier. 

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am with you since '69. Listened to Robson on radio a lot and got to a few games in the old building. "1915" is a great chant idea. I sometimes wonder is I will ever see a CUP in Vancouver. 

Not happy that Pod will have 3 years in the KHL before he comes over here (if he comes). More chance of the pick going south on us. :) What ever the direction, just not here. Odds are Tryamkin lost his NHL career by going back to the KHL. 

2 years in KHL, not 3

if any forward drafted after him makes the show before him I’ll be surprised anyways.

i don’t recall tryamkin being a first round pick with his family there smiling saying he’s always dreamed of playing in the NHL? 

This kid kid wants to be here that is the goal. He is still a kid wants to develop in the KHL playing against men, having family support as he matures, make some money then come to the NHL plug and play ready to go.

There is no KHL issue for him, it will only be an issue if he’s not good enough to play on our team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I just don’t get why we always gotta butcher names on draft. Makes us look stupid, especially when we are the host team.

like if you scout these kids all year, interview them, talk with them, like them, can you not get their name right? 

Also if your gonna have Stan read it, have him practice the names in the top 10 and your trade down targets. It was a brutal speech, he sounded like he’d been hit in the head or was ESL.

Agreed, it's bush league and disrespectful.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He only has a two year contract and when he got picked they briefly discussed him getting out of the 2nd year. Although Pod said he would play out his contract in the K.

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

awesome pick.  Zegras has mad skills but I do believe we will be harder to play against with Pod in our line up.  what a steal.  Whats with these high end players falling onto our laps? &^@# sakes. 

JUSTICE :towel:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Have you ever heard Crawford come on 1040 and actually critic the Canucks? Doesn't happen. That said multiple scouts have Pod in the top 5. Hoping that he can buy out his contract and come a year earlier. 

Crawford coached over in Europe for a bit and maybe took the blinders off a bit.