The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 6/22/2019 at 3:46 AM, Brobidus said:

Not quite! I think there is a subtle difference. He's probably more like Bo than he is like Virt. 

Virtanen when drafted was a goal scorer, with suspect IQ but with incredible motor skills and physicality.
Podkolzin is a puck-hound. He needs to work on his high-end speed, but has incredible persistence, puck-control, and takes pride in being both a play-maker and a goalscorer. His IQ is definitely not being questioned, it's part of his forté. I'm also not sure if physicality is something he is being praised for - it's more that he just wills himself through the defense, and does it a bit more violently. A little like Bo in that sense, just more aggressive. He is built like a tank, but doesn't go out of his way to throw his weight around. He's more interested in points than hits.

Comparisons I've seen thrown around: Rick Nash, Vladimir Tarasenko, Dale Hunter, Alexander Radulov, Artemi Panarin.
I like the Radulov comparison. I think he has a touch of Roussel's personality in him.

Podz = Russian winger version of Bo with a more puck-hounding mentality, but less disciplined and cool. 

On 6/22/2019 at 5:15 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I know what you mean:  plays a similar game but with a different mentality.  Podkolzin is way more locked in.  Virtanen is Podkolzin's floor. 

Well I have never seen him play, I was just basing this off that 10min scouting video that was posted.  Straight ahead speed, questionable shot selection, questionable awareness and that sounds exactly like JV.  Now CDC, don't get all defensive and snippy, just an observation.  And for the record I still think JV can be the player we all want him to be as long as he keeps improving and doesn't get traded lol.  

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, coastal.view said:

so virt has 2 years to prove he is a true power forward?

cuz this kid is one

i have no doubt about his ability

or the impact he could have

just less sure about if he will actually arrive

but if he does, virt better be solid on the team .. or ta ta

Don't think having one more power forward makes another one expendable my friend

• Upvote 3

Cant wait to see what the Canucks look like in 2 years (an optimistic view):

??? Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Podkolzin

Miller Gaudette Madden

Gadjovich Lockwood Lind

Hughes ???

Juolevi Woo

Rathbone  Stetcher

Top line LW

Top pairing RHD

We are arguably 2 high end pieces from a strong playoff team (if our players hit their ceilings). 

16 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

??? Pettersson Boeser

Miller Gaudette Madden

Gadjovich Lockwood Lind

Hughes ???

Juolevi Woo

Rathbone  Stetcher

Top line LW

Top pairing RHD

We are arguably 2 high end pieces from a strong playoff team (if our players hit their ceilings). 

Having virt on line two over Miller is a mistake lol. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

??? Pettersson Boeser

Miller Gaudette Madden

Gadjovich Lockwood Lind

Hughes ???

Juolevi Woo

Rathbone  Stetcher

Top line LW

Top pairing RHD

For a cup run I see it as - 

Miller - Petey - Brock (build chemistry now and hold for a long time)

Hoglander - Bo - Podz (absolutely everything in one line)

Virt - Gaudette - Madden (hard checking line that can score)

Keppen (grinder type guy) - Lockwood - Lind (Can score and play defence too)

Hughes - Tryamkin 

Juolevi - Woo 

Rathbone - Stetcher 

In two years I see it as - 

Miller - Petey - Brock 

Hog - Bo - Podz

Virt - Gaud - Goldy 

MacEwan - Beagle - Sutter 

Hughes - Tryamkin (supposed to be back as early a season march) 

Edler - Tanev 

Juolevi - Woo/Stetcher 

Honestly I’d love a top 2 RHD but that’s probably something we try and trade for, if available. 

2 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

For a cup run I see it as - 

Miller - Petey - Brock (build chemistry now and hold for a long time)

Hoglander - Bo - Podz (absolutely everything in one line)

Virt - Gaudette - Madden (hard checking line that can score)

Keppen (grinder type guy) - Lockwood - Lind (Can score and play defence too)

Hughes - Tryamkin 

Juolevi - Woo 

Rathbone - Stetcher 

In two years I see it as - 

Miller - Petey - Brock 

Hog - Bo - Podz

Virt - Gaud - Goldy 

MacEwan - Beagle - Sutter 

Hughes - Tryamkin (supposed to be back as early a season march) 

Edler - Tanev 

Juolevi - Woo/Stetcher 

Honestly I’d love a top 2 RHD but that’s probably something we try and trade for, if available. 

Looks good.

Demko or Marky?

40 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

??? Pettersson Boeser

Miller Gaudette Madden

Gadjovich Lockwood Lind

Hughes ???

Juolevi Woo

Rathbone  Stetcher

Top line LW

Top pairing RHD

I don't see any reason why Miller would be on the third line. The dude is a legit top 6 forward.

Also, I have high hopes for Hoglander. The dude was playing in the SHL as a teenager before he was even drafted and wasn't completely overwhelmed (keep in mind that the SHL is not only a men's league, but probably the 3rd best league in the world). I think it's entirely possible, assuming he can put up some numbers in the SHL next season, that he can be competing for a spot on the roster as early as next season. 

I wouldn't write Jasek out, either. I think he'll be competing for a roster spot pretty soon as well. 

Not sold on Virtanen as a top six or that Gadjovich is an NHL player. 

Overall, I think our forward group is looking pretty damned good going forward. Upgrades are always possible, but it seems to me that we have gamebreakers in every position now.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Leivo Madden Lind/Jasek

Something like that., anyways.

The biggest thing now is finding a legit top pairing right D. It's the one massive hole is our prospect/young player  pool that needs filling, and we won't be a legit contender until we find that guy.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't see any reason why Miller would be on the third line. The dude is a legit top 6 forward.

Also, I have high hopes for Hoglander. The dude was playing in the SHL as a teenager before he was even drafted and wasn't completely overwhelmed (keep in mind that the SHL is not only a men's league, but probably the 3rd best league in the world). I think it's entirely possible, assuming he can put up some numbers in the SHL next season, that he can be competing for a spot on the roster as early as next season. 

I wouldn't write Jasek out, either. I think he'll be competing for a roster spot pretty soon as well. 

Not sold on Virtanen as a top six or that Gadjovich is an NHL player. 

Overall, I think our forward group is looking pretty damned good going forward. Upgrades are always possible, but it seems to me that we have gamebreakers in every position now.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Leivo Madden Lind/Jasek

Something like that., anyways.

The biggest thing now is finding a legit top pairing right D. It's the one massive hole is our prospect/young player  pool that needs filling, and we won't be a legit contender until we find that guy.

Nice projection.  I like that Keppen kid we got in round four.  I think Gadjovic will soon get passed by other guys.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

I think Podkolzin will push out Boeser for the 1RW spot pretty soon after he enters the league.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as long as "push out" doesn't mean Boeser regresses, which I doubt will happen. Podkolzin has a skillset that could really compliment Petey, and we know Boes and Horvat have chemistry together. Either way, I'm thrilled with how our RW is shaping up. LW is a little more of a question mark, but I have high hopes for Highlander, and we already know that Miller can play. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 112 said:

Definitely. Boes and Pod on RW and Petey and Bo down the middle is fantastic for the future. If Hog pans out and Miller takes on the bigger role that should be expected of him here well, we've got a great top-6 lined up for the future.

Hog is obviously the biggest question mark here; we've had other 2nd round picks who haven't worked out for us so far, so we shouldn't be writing him in so easily, but I'm still having trouble tempering my expectations for him for some reason. He could be a huge hit in JB et al.'s drafting record.

And we can still acquire different/more pieces here. There's absolutely a core in place for the team now; there can't be any doubts. It's time for us as fans to watch that core grow. Very exciting times.

It's difficult for me to temper my expectations on Hog when he was able to do what he did in the SHL as an undrafted teenager. That alone tells me that he can already play with men, and if he can improve on those numbers next season, I'll have a hard time believing that we didn't just find our ace in the hole.

• Upvote 1

U18 IIHF Tournament. Podkolzin #19 scored 1 goal and 1 assist in the gold metal game.  He was robbed of a goal that would have been the gold metal winner from a grotesque call from the referee. The goalie clearly pulled the puck out from behind the goal line as see in 4:17 of this clip.  He dominated the game. https://youtu.be/O1e2i-IUw_4

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Definitely. Boes and Pod on RW and Petey and Bo down the middle is fantastic for the future. If Hog pans out and Miller takes on the bigger role that should be expected of him here well, we've got a great top-6 lined up for the future.

Hog is obviously the biggest question mark here; we've had other 2nd round picks who haven't worked out for us so far, so we shouldn't be writing him in so easily, but I'm still having trouble tempering my expectations for him for some reason. He could be a huge hit in JB et al.'s drafting record.

And we can still acquire different/more pieces here. There's absolutely a core in place for the team now; there can't be any doubts. It's time for us as fans to watch that core grow. Very exciting times.

Is that what we're using?:lol: I was thinking VP. Havent seen anything stick here yet