The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sounds like the only “Russian factor” with Podkolzin involves rib-crunching “Russian bear” style hugs. :lol:

“We’re teammates now” is a good indication of where this kid’s mindset is at. He sees himself as a future NHLer. In his mind, he and Höglander are “teammates.” This kid plans to join his fellow Canucks draftee in a couple years and play with the team that picked both of them. :) 

It sounds like Podkolzin is likely pissed he didn't get to stay and take part in the stuff the young guys are all going through together right now at UBC.  Maybe we get him after next season?

17 hours ago, 112 said:

I think Podkolzin will push out Boeser for the 1RW spot pretty soon after he enters the league.

Personally i dont . Petey and Brocks games complement each other well. Petey has unreal vision and he will find Brock for those goals. Brock will be a 40 goal a year guy going forward. 

The more insight I get on Podkolzin, the more I like him. Bear hugging Hoglander as team mates, how great is that? High-fiving his goalie after he scores, good stuff. He seems like a very determined player and great team mate. I have been critical of Benning for not taking chances, but he showed everyone he's not adverse to that. Other GMs were too scared by the Russian factor, which will be their loss. Sure, Zegras has a lot of skill, but he looks like a weasel and I'm sure he'll take his lumps. Maybe Podkolzin will hand out a few lumps to Zegras when they meet. Krebs and Boldy will be good NHL players, but I don't see them having the same impact to their teams, as Podkolzin will have in VAN. He wears #19, but obviously won't get that number. I'll guess he wears #91 when he gets here.

I still think the Canucks need one more mobile Dman.  Hopefully Benning can find one.

• Upvote 1

h https://twitter.com/NextGenHockeyca/status/1142243234053156864 https://twitter.com/NextGenHockeyca/status/1142243234053156864 ttps: https://twitter.com/NextGenHockeyca/status/1142243234053156864 //t

https://twitter.com/NextGenHockeyca/status/114224323405

As impressive as any of his offensive highlights are ones like these that show his backcheck and the way he fights to get the puck back.

enHockeyca/status/1142243234053156864

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

As impressive as any of his offensive highlights are ones like these that show his backcheck and the way he fights to get the puck back.

Goldobin needs to pay close attention to this

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sounds like the only “Russian factor” with Podkolzin involves rib-crunching “Russian bear” style hugs. :lol:

“We’re teammates now” is a good indication of where this kid’s mindset is at. He sees himself as a future NHLer. In his mind, he and Höglander are “teammates.” This kid plans to join his fellow Canucks draftee in a couple years and play with the team that picked both of them. :) 

This just made my day - smiling in the coffee line-up

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We need D more than Lee, don't you think?  

Yes, a dman would be nice but I don't agree with some on here that the D-man has to be found this off season. Tyler Myers, Jake Gardiner, Rasmus Ristolainen are not the dmen we need. We need a top pairing partner for Hughes. Someone that excels at the defensive aspect of the game lol, not like the 3 mentioned above who are average, if not below average defensively. A stay at home or two way defenseman that will allow Hughes to do his thing offensively whilst holding the fort down in his own end. We need a premier defenseman to do that. Of the players mentioned above, I think Tyler Myers is the most defensively sound of the 3 and would not be entirely against him coming here but not at the contract he's rumored to be seeking.

Also, I would now put Lee as the top UFA available followed by Duchene. These guys don't come along too often. I would do whatever I could to try and sign him here. He cements are top 6 and gives us a real shot at the playoffs playing alongside Horvat, Pearson, Miller, Pettersson, and Boeser.

Barrie, Faulk, Josi, and Pietroangelo are all pending UFA's next season. I would target them next season.

People that wanted Boldy over Podkolzin.  Podkolzin is already a man, Boldy is still a boy.  Podkolzin looks like a junkyard dog with top 6 skill.  Very rare.  Podkolzin is everything Boldy is but has more gnarl, is more fierce.  Boldy didn’t bounce between 3 different leagues and on 6 different teams.  Pod has a much higher floor.   And I still think he looks like the lone survivor of the Russian Hunger Games. I stand by that statement.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Completely forgot about Hoglander

I like your lineup much better. Given who we have in the pipeline, I don't expect Pearson to be in our long term plans unless he really plays well these next two years.

Also, just read Anders Lee is likely to hit free agency. 8 year 58-60 million contract. (cant remember if we would be able to offer him 8 or only 7).

Lee Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Pearson

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Looks like a contender roster to me

Because you didn't include the defense :lol:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Beautiful.

But can Vasili even speak a word of English?

The more I research this kid, and the more stuff comes out about his compete and character, the better and better I like this pick. I didn’t know too much about him, but a lot of you were jumping for joy when we selected him and Brackett and Benning were delighted to get him. 

He is a tank. Big, strong, skilled and a absolute bulldog on the forecheck. Also stands up for his teammates, which will be good to protect Petey and Brock. And he only just turned 18 and he’s playing against men in the KHL. His ceiling may be even higher than those drafted before him. 

If it pans out, this will be the steal of the draft!:towel:

• Upvote 2

Wonder what his situation will be next season. He does play for one of the best organizations in Russia. 

Will he play in the KHL or VHL, and if hes in the KHL how much opportunity does he get playing on a good team?

Id imagine he could start in the VHL or split time between.

Hopefully he'll be in the KHL towards the end of the year (atleast), & with a real chance to establish himself.

Worthy of note is that the wait time for him could be similar to Boeser. Boeser was drafted in 2015, and joined the team at the end of the 2016-2017 seasons and then made the team fulltime for the 2017-18 seasons. The KHL season starts earlier than the NHL season and even the teams who made it to the finals will end their seasons sometime in mid-April. Most KHL teams end their season sometime in March. Pod could come here immedatiately after his KHL season ends. If we are lucky, by the 2021, we could land ourselves a late season addition to help us win some games in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Podkolzin - Bo would be a nasty pairing. Offensively and defensively. Can totally see these two shutting down star players.

That line would be so difficult to play against. The speed and brute force. Just what they would need in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Pod has an incredible drive and motor on the ice. Determined player. Will take him a long way.  But he is very raw. He needs great coaching to reach his potential.  This is the downside of the 2 year khl contract and why he fell to 10. Nhl teams have to be hands off his development for 2 years.

But Watchung him play it is Frickin obvious why he was highly rated. Fingers crossed and can't wait for him to join the team!