The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Podkolzin - Bo would be a nasty pairing. Offensively and defensively. Can totally see these two shutting down star players.

I do wonder if he would be better suited to Pettersson's line or Horvats? Put him with Pettersson and you have a bulldog who will fight to win all puck battles in the corners and dig the puck out for Boeser and Pettersson in the slot. Alternatively he can bulldoze his way to the net, creating rebounds for Boeser or Pettersson to finish. It is a very complimentary skillset for those two players. On the other hand, putting him with Horvat you have a super responsible line that if paired with another high energy winger (Virtanen?) would create havoc all over the ice. Particularly in the playoffs teams would have to put out their best D against Pettersson but if they are ever stuck out there against Horvat - Podkolzin they could really wear them down and score at the same time.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This Draft, was in a way, simialr to the previous couple of drafts for the Canucks. In 2017, most Canucks fans wanted Vilardi, Middelstadt or Glass, but the Canucks went with the less talked about Pettersson. Great pick.

Then in 2018, a lot of us assumed the Canucks would get Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson, but Quinn Hughes fell into the Canucks' lap. Another great pick, with some luck.

Now this year, many of us were thinking Boldy, Krebs or Soderstrom, and Podkolzin dropped out of the Top 3 (where he belonged). Canucks weren't going to let him slide past #10. And another great pick, and more luck.

What I find odd is that even the so-called experts never talked much about Podkolzin leading up to the Draft, like as if he wasn't really on the same level as the USNDT guys. But he's better than them all IMO (except for Jack Hughes). All of those talented, pampered kids played together against other kids. I'm sure they had a blast toying with other teams, winning games and scoring lots of goals, big Cole Caufield smiles all around - but that isn't reality. Now, all of those squeaky clean kids will be separated from each other and will eventually be joining the NHL teams that drafted them. I imagine some will have difficulty adjusting to the hard work and effort required  to make the NHL. Podkolzin, as a 17 year old, was already playing against men in Russia. And playing well. He'll be a beast on a mission in 2 years.

I've kinda wondered about the USNTDP for a while now.. how many kids were picked from that program - 17? and 8 first-rounders? if they had most of the best prospects in the country on one team, what kind of competition did they face? like should they have been playing against team Canada & Finland & Sweden? 

I don't know... maybe this was literally the dream team of junior hockey. or maybe there was a few guys riding some coat tails.. I guess we'll see in a few years how they all translate to the bigs.. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, TGokou said:

I do wonder if he would be better suited to Pettersson's line or Horvats? Put him with Pettersson and you have a bulldog who will fight to win all puck battles in the corners and dig the puck out for Boeser and Pettersson in the slot. Alternatively he can bulldoze his way to the net, creating rebounds for Boeser or Pettersson to finish. It is a very complimentary skillset for those two players. On the other hand, putting him with Horvat you have a super responsible line that if paired with another high energy winger (Virtanen?) would create havoc all over the ice. Particularly in the playoffs teams would have to put out their best D against Pettersson but if they are ever stuck out there against Horvat - Podkolzin they could really wear them down and score at the same time.

I think he'd be good with both, though he likes to carry the puck and I'd say we want Petey to have it as much as possible.  He and Bo would be a handful to play against.......imagine Jake on that line too?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think he'd be good with both, though he likes to carry the puck and I'd say we want Petey to have it as much as possible.  He and Bo would be a handful to play against.......imagine Jake on that line too?

He seems like hes going to be an elite puck retrieval player. Anyone can juts dump the puck in and he'll turn on the burners and go fetch it. Honestly I think he would be a good fit with anyone. He's elite.

• Upvote 1

This is a player that will be clutch in the playoffs. Hates to lose, takes responsibility and an absolute animal on the ice. I'll take that any day. Hopefully he only plays on year in the KHL and comes over. I rather our organization monitor his health and development than some unknown Russian team's medical staff. 

• Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how Caufield will do in MTL playing with Kotkaniemi. I'll predict bust lol I think he'll turn out more like a David Desharnais than an Alex Debrincat.

Obviously, I'm looking way more forward to see what Podkolzin does with Pettersson or Horvat in a couple of years. He's already 6'0" 190 playing against men, and I suspect he'll grow to 6'2" 200 or thereabouts. He plays with such passion, hates to lose, could be a very difficult player to play against.

It has been a while since the draft and I've been collecting my thoughts on this pick. Podkolzin was not someone I was expecting us to take at 10th overall and he was actually one of three players I was hoping we didn't take at that spot, but I wasn't overly disappointed with the pick. It's easy to spot the compete level, complete game and physical abilities that make him an enticing player. My concerns are mostly with his high end vision and overall creativity. 

My main issue with Podkolzin is I don't think he has high end vision offensively. I want to clarify that he is still a smart player defensively and is very fundamentally solid, but I don't see him as someone who makes his teammates better. Offensively, he buries his head and simply charges the net without using his teammates fairly often. He has the physical ability to pull it off, but I don't think it's a sustainable or efficient way to consistently find the scoresheet at the next level. This is the main reason I don't think his ceiling is as high as some other in terms of point production. 

To further illustrate this point, his production across the various Russian leagues this year can be compared to a some recent Russian picks. Kravtsov was taken 9th overall in last years draft and was named the best prospect outside the NHL earlier this year by TSN. Denisenko was taken in the middle of the first round last year and was ranked 2nd behind Kravtsov on the same list. Dorofeyev was taken in the 3rd round this year. They all spent various amounts of time in different leagues around Russia, but there is a common trend among the four of them:

MHL:

Kravtsov: 3 points in 1 game

Dorofeyev: 17 goals and 14 assists for 31 points in 19 games (1.63 PPG) - 2 assists in 3 Playoff games (0.67 PPG)

Denisenko: 9 goals and 13 assists for 22 points in 31 games (0.71 PPG) - 5 goals and 2 assists for 7 point in 12 Playoff games (0.58 PPG) 

Podkolzin: 6 goals and 2 assists for 8 points in 12 games (0.67 PPG) - 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 points in 3 Playoff games (1 PPG)

VHL:

Kravtsov: 4 goals and 3 assists for 7 points in 9 games (0.78 PPG)

Podkolzin: 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points in 14 games (0.36 PPG) - 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 points in 8 Playoff games (0.34 PPG)

As you can see, the production is not overly impressive. Both Dorofeyev and Kravtsov spent a considerable amount of time in the KHL in their draft years as well, which is something Podkolzin wasn't able to do. Three of those players bounced around leagues as well, so Podkolzin not adjusting to any one particular league does not seem like a likely explanation. Furthermore, Podkolzin played on MHL and VHL teams that finished near the top of the standings. Getting outscored that badly by someone rated considerably lower than you (Dorofeyev) while playing on a good MHL team in a league that is extremely weak defensively is not a good sign at all. That does not mean that he will never score many points ever again, but it does mean it likely won't be something he will offer long term. Podkolzin is younger relative to the draft than Kravtsov and Dorofeyev as well, so that is something to consider as well. 

However, that doesn't mean Podkolzin is some wasted pick that will bust and be completely useless. As I said earlier, his defensive game is strong. Watching him live at the WJC, it was apparent that his details are top notch and he follows the system his coach implements very well. His positioning defensively is good and he doesn't cheat towards offense. He's strong on his stick both offensively and defensively. His strength on the puck is apparent and he is tough to knock off the puck. He should be able to win more than his fair share of puck battle even at the next level. His instincts down low in the offensive zone to drive the net good as well and should make him effective in the hard areas. His hands and puck control are also adept which should lead to him finishing off plays nicely especially when combined with a good, accurate shot. There's a lot to like with this player even if he doesn't appear to have the same high end vision that other elite players do. 

The other great thing about Podkolzin is it's so easy to see him as a great fit for either of our top two centers. He would add a different element to the Pettersson - Boeser pairing as a big, strong player who can win battles down low and along the boards. He makes up for the main things that those two players lack, which are physical strength on the puck, brute force when retrieving it and sheer power when taking it to the net. Him and Pettersson are also both defensively conscious and the line would not be forced to be a pure offensive line, leading to more balanced playing times. However, pairing him with Horvat is also incredibly appealing; both players would be incredibly difficult to contain due to their abundance of strength, power and explosiveness. Those two would form a great foundation for a hard working two-way line that can play hard against the other team's top players while still being threatening offensively. That holds a lot of value, especially in the Playoffs when physical abilities and defensive responsibility shine through. Our top six could be paired similar to how Washington's was when they won the Cup last year with Pettersson - Boeser being our offensive duo while Horvat - Podkolzin dominate the hard minutes similar to how the Kuznetsov - Ovechkin and Backstrom - Oshie pairings were deployed during their run. 

For me, I think Podkolzin will end up being a good player for us as a responsible, physical two-way winger who we can trust to make an impact at both ends of the rink. He will likely be a great fit with either of our two centers and provide a needed component to our top six. However, I don't think he will be a high end point producer who puts up elite numbers offensively by himself. He might put up some lofty totals playing with Pettersson down the road if they end up together, but not individually as a driver of offense. Hopefully he can continue to improve his awareness in the KHL over the next two years. Overall, I have warmed up to this pick a little more and I'm happy he's in the organization. Our scouting staff's recent run of 1st round picks gives me confidence that he'll end up being a good piece for us moving forward. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It has been a while since the draft and I've been collecting my thoughts on this pick. Podkolzin was not someone I was expecting us to take at 10th overall and he was actually one of three players I was hoping we didn't take at that spot, but I wasn't overly disappointed with the pick. It's easy to spot the compete level, complete game and physical abilities that make him an enticing player. My concerns are mostly with his high end vision and overall creativity. 

My main issue with Podkolzin is I don't think he has high end vision offensively. I want to clarify that he is still a smart player defensively and is very fundamentally solid, but I don't see him as someone who makes his teammates better. Offensively, he buries his head and simply charges the net without using his teammates fairly often. He has the physical ability to pull it off, but I don't think it's a sustainable or efficient way to consistently find the scoresheet at the next level. This is the main reason I don't think his ceiling is as high as some other in terms of point production. 

To further illustrate this point, his production across the various Russian leagues this year can be compared to a some recent Russian picks. Kravtsov was taken 9th overall in last years draft and was named the best prospect outside the NHL earlier this year by TSN. Denisenko was taken in the middle of the first round last year and was ranked 2nd behind Kravtsov on the same list. Dorofeyev was taken in the 3rd round this year. They all spent various amounts of time in different leagues around Russia, but there is a common trend among the four of them:

MHL:

Dorofeyev: 17 goals and 14 assists for 31 points in 19 games (1.63 PPG) - 2 assists in 3 Playoff games (0.67 PPG)

Denisenko: 9 goals and 13 assists for 22 points in 31 games (0.71 PPG) - 5 goals and 2 assists for 7 point in 12 Playoff games (0.58 PPG) 

Podkolzin: 6 goals and 2 assists for 8 points in 12 games (0.67 PPG) - 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 points in 3 Playoff games (1 PPG)

VHL:

Podkolzin: 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points in 14 games (0.36 PPG) - 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 points in 8 Playoff games (0.34 PPG)

As you can see, the production is not overly impressive. Both Dorofeyev and Kravtsov spent a considerable amount of time in the KHL in their draft years as well, which is something Podkolzin wasn't able to do. Three of those players bounced around leagues as well, so Podkolzin not adjusting to any one particular league does not seem like a likely explanation. Furthermore, Podkolzin played on MHL and VHL teams that finished near the top of the standings. Getting outscored that badly by someone rated considerably lower than you (Dorofeyev) while playing on a good MHL team in a league that is extremely weak defensively is not a good sign at all. That does not mean that he will never score many points ever again, but it does mean it likely won't be something he will offer long term. Podkolzin is younger relative to the draft than Kravtsov and Dorofeyev as well, so that is something to consider as well. 

However, that doesn't mean Podkolzin is some wasted pick that will bust and be completely useless. As I said earlier, his defensive game is strong. Watching him live at the WJC, it was apparent that his details are top notch and he follows the system his coach implements very well. His positioning defensively is good and he doesn't cheat towards offense. He's strong on his stick both offensively and defensively. His strength on the puck is apparent and he is tough to knock off the puck. He should be able to win more than his fair share of puck battle even at the next level. His instincts down low in the offensive zone to drive the net good as well and should make him effective in the hard areas. His hands and puck control are also adept which should lead to him finishing off plays nicely especially when combined with a good, accurate shot. There's a lot to like with this player even if he doesn't appear to have the same high end vision that other elite players do. 

The other great thing about Podkolzin is it's so easy to see him as a great fit for either of our top two centers. He would add a different element to the Pettersson - Boeser pairing as a big, strong player who can win battles down low and along the boards. He makes up for the main things that those two players lack, which are physical strength on the puck, brute force when retrieving it and sheer power when taking it to the net. Him and Pettersson are also both defensively conscious and the line would not be forced to be a pure offensive line, leading to more balanced playing times. However, pairing him with Horvat is also incredibly appealing; both players would be incredibly difficult to contain due to their abundance of strength, power and explosiveness. Those two would form a great foundation for a hard working two-way line that can play hard against the other team's top players while still being threatening offensively. That holds a lot of value, especially in the Playoffs when physical abilities and defensive responsibility shine through. Our top six could be paired similar to how Washington's was when they won the Cup last year with Pettersson - Boeser being our offensive duo while Horvat - Podkolzin dominate the hard minutes similar to how the Kuznetsov - Ovechkin and Backstrom - Oshie pairings were deployed during their run. 

For me, I think Podkolzin will end up being a good player for us as a responsible, physical two-way winger who we can trust to make an impact at both ends of the rink. He will likely be a great fit with either of our two centers and provide a needed component to our top six. However, I don't think he will be a high end point producer who puts up elite numbers offensively by himself. He might put up some lofty totals playing with Pettersson down the road if they end up together, but not individually as a driver of offense. Hopefully he can continue to improve his awareness in the KHL over the next two years. Overall, I have warmed up to this pick a little more and I'm happy he's in the organization. Our scouting staff's recent run of 1st round picks gives me confidence that he'll end up being a good piece for us moving forward. 

Your points are all valid concerns.  Pod was the bpa at 10, and filled a need for our top six.  It's a simple as that.  

• Upvote 3

I wonder how coach-able he is.  

Vision, IQ, talent, size, speed.... those can't really be changed... but there's a reason why a coach like Travis Green would prefer to play a player like Baertschi over Virtanen.  One is willing to follow what the coach says, whereas the other seems to have issues at times "getting it".

15 hours ago, TGokou said:

Finesse Line

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

So much skill on this level that teams wont have a chance to focus on Pettersson only. This only plays to this line's advantage. I could see the potential of each one of them being 30 goal scorers. I still cant believe Hoglander fell to us. I was sure that he was gone by the end of the first. I didn't even have him on my list of 2nd rounder because the expectation that he would be there was non-existent.

Physical Force Line

Virtanen Horvat Podkolzin

I think he is better suited to play with Horvat. The speed, physicality and compete level (as soon as Virtanen catches on) would be a coachs dream. This is a line that is built for the playoffs. Relentless forecheck, responsible backcheck and the offensive flare to punish teams when they make mistakes

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

MHL:

VHL:

I respectfully disagree that he doesnt have the high end offensive vision to be an elite scorer, i think he absolutely does. If you watch his games and even highlights he is capable of making incredible passes and reading the play at a high level. The problem is he doesnt use those abilities nearly enough, as you said he prefers to take the puck directly to the net regardless of who or what stands in his way. He also has an absolutely incredible shot, but again he rarely uses it as he prefers to be up close and personal with the goalie.  But i will agree that his biggest issue is learning to use his line mates more, if he can do that his point production will shoot way up. The good thing is that is mostly coachable. When to use his size and speed and when to slow down and make smart plays.

he was touted as an nhl ready player. And while that is true in a way due mostly to his physical strength and ability to defend extremely well. He is still a very raw talent that needs to be polished by a good coaching staff, the good news is is is very willing to learn and he already possesses all the skills needed. Will he be able to focus his game to become an elite player in this league? Only time will tell, but he is very exciting and is something every team in the league wants. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I wonder how coach-able he is.  

Vision, IQ, talent, size, speed.... those can't really be changed... but there's a reason why a coach like Travis Green would prefer to play a player like Baertschi over Virtanen.  One is willing to follow what the coach says, whereas the other seems to have issues at times "getting it".

The Russian coaches he's played for say Pod is great.  They play him in all situations.  He's also a leader, and captain.  Guys like Pod just want to win, and will do whatever it takes to do so.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Better skating, less douchey replacement for Tkachuk that a segment of CDC is still butt hurt over:P

And is way tougher too.  Pod will stand up for his mates, and not be a rat about it.  

• Upvote 1

I recall Burke always talking about how every teams scouts look for a Tom Wilson type player (less all the dirty nonsense.) Does Pod fit that type of player? Curious what others think on this.

Either way, love the pick and I can’t wait for him to make the ice safe for our other players.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, nergish said:

Beautiful.

But can Vasili even speak a word of English?

Yeah, he can speak limited English. Not enough to get through an interview without a translator, but he was seen greeting/being greeted by fellow draft picks, Quin Hughes, and Canucks staff in English.