The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

I am really glad we didn't pass on this kid cause he is Russian. He's got that tenacity that can work on any line. Surprisingly good passer. You can really see the difference in style compared to a guy like Goldobin. Not to rag on Goldy but if he was half as interested in the forecheck as Pod is he'd be a great 2nd liner in the NHL. It's insane to me that people would not have taken Pod at 10 because of his KHL contract. That dog in him alone is worth taking at 10, let alone the fact he has high level talent.

Skating isn't great but not as bad as I thought. When he said he needs to work on his skating I thought it'd look worse. He has good speed so as he works on his technique this guy could be an elite defensive winger. His forecheck and tenacity is at a high level already. If he becomes a better skater it'll cause a lot of problems for defenders in their own zone. Which is saying something cause he already bullies his peers in that regard. I can already see him being a fan favourite in the playoffs. People may not be fans now but I think they'll change their tune when we finally get to see him in Vancouver.

This is probably the most excited I have been for a prospect. Which kinda scares me cause I don't wanna put too much pressure or too much expectations on the guy. Lol. I just hope he brings his work ethic to the team one day. He's got some swagger to him too. Could use some of that with all the mild mannered folks we have.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nine teams passed on this guy?  I can see Hughes and Kappo going ahead of Podkolzin, but this kid is amazing too.  My God his motor is non stop.  Plus he’s skilled, and has excellent awareness.  Add to his elite skill set, his natural meanness and high compete and he might be the best player (better than Jack Hughes and Crappo Kakko) in his draft.  

We got him at 10!  Seriously?  Way to go JB!  

Ranked 5th by THN.  

Hoglander ranked 28th, Keppen ranked 85th.  

JB took guys that all play the right way that fell for some reason or another.  It was a wild draft were teams individual rankings carried wildly after the top 2.  

I like that the guy JB and Brackett wanted to fall to their second pick did.  Podz was luck, Hoglander was the sought after player for our group this draft.  A late Birthday, already playing in the SHL as a 17 y/o.  Last year the 17 y/o playing in the SHL went first over all.  

Not saying that Hoglander is anything near as good but there is only one player I have ever witnessed juggling while riding a unicycle prior to Hoglander. 

So we have a Dahlin/Pettersson hybrid???  

Ha!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I am really glad we didn't pass on this kid cause he is Russian. He's got that tenacity that can work on any line. Surprisingly good passer. You can really see the difference in style compared to a guy like Goldobin. Not to rag on Goldy but if he was half as interested in the forecheck as Pod is he'd be a great 2nd liner in the NHL. It's insane to me that people would not have taken Pod at 10 because of his KHL contract. That dog in him alone is worth taking at 10, let alone the fact he has high level talent.

Skating isn't great but not as bad as I thought. When he said he needs to work on his skating I thought it'd look worse. He has good speed so as he works on his technique this guy could be an elite defensive winger. His forecheck and tenacity is at a high level already. If he becomes a better skater it'll cause a lot of problems for defenders in their own zone. Which is saying something cause he already bullies his peers in that regard. I can already see him being a fan favourite in the playoffs. People may not be fans now but I think they'll change their tune when we finally get to see him in Vancouver.

This is probably the most excited I have been for a prospect. Which kinda scares me cause I don't wanna put too much pressure or too much expectations on the guy. Lol. I just hope he brings his work ethic to the team one day. He's got some swagger to him too. Could use some of that with all the mild mannered folks we have.

He is also getting schooled by guys like Datsyuk etc as he plays on the KHL.  Pro level, NHL level coaching which he soaks up like a sponge.  

Very Bo like.  

He could be in the hunt for a Calder as early as next year.  

Would love to see a line with him, Gaudette and Madden.  That would be a very frustrating line to play against.  Our 3rd line next year???  Why not!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

He is also getting schooled by guys like Datsyuk etc as he plays on the KHL.  Pro level, NHL level coaching which he soaks up like a sponge.  

Very Bo like.  

He could be in the hunt for a Calder as early as next year.  

Would love to see a line with him, Gaudette and Madden.  That would be a very frustrating line to play against.  Our 3rd line next year???  Why not!

Well he won't be coming over for another 2 years.

Not a problem though, a little more development time couldn't hurt. I want to him to be a top player in the World Juniors this year, then absolutely dominate it the year after that. 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nine teams passed on this guy?  I can see Hughes and Kappo going ahead of Podkolzin, but this kid is amazing too.  My God his motor is non stop.  Plus he’s skilled, and has excellent awareness.  Add to his elite skill set, his natural meanness and high compete and he might be the best player (better than Jack Hughes and Crappo Kakko) in his draft.  

We got him at 10!  Seriously?  Way to go JB!  

Bo 2.0...with EP's anticipation and play reading for stealing pucks or getting in position on offense...he also has a pretty good one-timer.

Podz could make the team and drive play a year from now if he can get out of his contract...!

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The kid was manhandling, and out working guys..to think, hes just 17. The more I watch highlights of him, im not sure if hes going to be ever a hart or an art ross winner, but this is the kind of player you want on your team in the playoffs.

Strange thing to say

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Well he won't be coming over for another 2 years.

Not a problem though, a little more development time couldn't hurt. I want to him to be a top player in the World Juniors this year, then absolutely dominate it the year after that. 

There has been talk that he could buyout the last year of his deal.  

20 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

This kid is an absolute animal!! If he continues his strong work ethic, the sky is the limit for him. He looks like the complete package. 

I really hope he doesn't stay in the KHL too long and comes over asap to work with the team. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

There has been talk that he could buyout the last year of his deal.  

Talk from who? Him? Not that I've seen. Just speculation from hopeful fans. Only thing I've heard from him is that he said he's going to honour his KHL contract. 

• Upvote 1

I'm very okay with Podkolzin develpng in a men's league (KHL) for the next 2 years. After the 2020/21 season concludes, he will join the Canucks training camp and blow everyones minds. And Hoglander too, really great pick. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Talk from who? Him? Not that I've seen. Just speculation from hopeful fans. Only thing I've heard from him is that he said he's going to honour his KHL contract. 

This came up in the post draft discussion with the pundits.  The thread was that he wasn't likely to get out of his deal very easily, something about his club being hard to negotiate with, but that he 'could' be able to move be the end of next season as it is a 12 month process.  

It is possible.  Whether Podz, the Nucks and St Petersburg agree to it.  

1 hour ago, Pepe Silvia said:

If you read the post you responded to more carefully, you will see that he used the word "could", not "would" or "will", meaning that the possibility exists.

I don't know Russian law, but in this country, a contract you sign when you are 16 or 17 is not likely to be enforceable, because legally you are still a child, who does not have the legal capacity to contract.

And it would not be a complete shock for an 18 or 19 year old to feel differently about things than he did when he was 16 or 17, so the chance exists that he could change his mind.

44 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you read the post you responded to more carefully, you will see that he used the word "could", not "would" or "will", meaning that the possibility exists.

I don't know Russian law, but in this country, a contract you sign when you are 16 or 17 is not likely to be enforceable, because legally you are still a child, who does not have the legal capacity to contract.

And it would not be a complete shock for an 18 or 19 year old to feel differently about things than he did when he was 16 or 17, so the chance exists that he could change his mind.

You could say that about anything then. There is talk he could step in the league right away. There is talk he could play 7 years in the KHL. I'll believe the quote directly from his mouth less than 2 weeks ago.

The cool thing about Podkolzin as a prospect is he already plays a pro style game. The way he competes, and works hard in all areas on the ice makes him an easy fit for the NHL when he gets here.

The exciting part is that because those things are pretty well ingrained already he can work on his skill and skating. If those parts develop well in the next 2 years he could be a reeeeal handful. 

I think he will bring a lot of excitement to the rink with his style of play too. I am imagining his first game, and trying to go end to end through guys like Bure did. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:18 AM, filthycanuck said:

The kid was manhandling, and out working guys..to think, hes just 17. The more I watch highlights of him, im not sure if hes going to be ever a hart or an art ross winner, but this is the kind of player you want on your team in the playoffs.

Exactly.  Podz is a beast.  A Miller Horvat Podz line as our second line in a playoff series with Edler and Myers as a 5 man unit.  That line will wear out a team.  

• Like 1