The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

17 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you read the post you responded to more carefully, you will see that he used the word "could", not "would" or "will", meaning that the possibility exists.

I don't know Russian law, but in this country, a contract you sign when you are 16 or 17 is not likely to be enforceable, because legally you are still a child, who does not have the legal capacity to contract.

And it would not be a complete shock for an 18 or 19 year old to feel differently about things than he did when he was 16 or 17, so the chance exists that he could change his mind.

I don't think anyone's understanding of the law matters that much in Putin's Russia. Unless you're an oligarch. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:18 AM, filthycanuck said:

The kid was manhandling, and out working guys..to think, hes just 17. The more I watch highlights of him, im not sure if hes going to be ever a hart or an art ross winner, but this is the kind of player you want on your team in the playoffs.

like a Pavelski... Relentless.

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Does anyone know if canucks have put a program in place for him to learn english while hes in russia???

I am 100% sure he will learn some English in the next two years.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:18 AM, filthycanuck said:

The kid was manhandling, and out working guys..to think, hes just 17. The more I watch highlights of him, im not sure if hes going to be ever a hart or an art ross winner, but this is the kind of player you want on your team in the playoffs.

Yes exactly. EP40 is type of player who wins Hart, Art Ross, Lindsay trophies.

Pod is a lion in the jungle.  Relentless puck pursuit and forecheck. High rev motor.  Just keeps going and going. 

He's the type you win with in playoffs  

I can see him winning the Conn Smythe over those regular season trophies.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Pod is a lion in the jungle.  Relentless puck pursuit and forecheck. High rev motor.  Just keeps going and going. 

Sounds like a horvat 

• Upvote 1

I don't think learning English will be a problem for Podz.  He was born in Moscow, so I would think he is a huge fan of OV (who was also born in Moscow) and will likely want to follow his footsteps into the NHL.  Although there isn't a lot of English spoken in Russia, it is possible to find people that speak the language in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Datsyuk and Yakupov are teammates, so he will have opportunities to hear about the NHL and maybe learn some English as well.

Goldy was also born in Moscow; although he chose to go the OHL route, I'm sure that Podz is aware of him.  They may even have met each other this summer in Moscow.

Last, but not least...Podz is clearly a competitive individual who wants to play in the best hockey league in the world.  He's far too ambitious to allow a lack of (spoken)English to hold him back from his goal to make the NHL.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Bo 2.0 is what I am seeing...but he is already as fast as Bo is now and way faster than Bo was at 18...

Bo plays the much more important position though. 

I am excited for pods though and look forward to him coming over.

34 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Bo plays the much more important position though. 

I am excited for pods though and look forward to him coming over.

Agreed, but he just might force Boeser off the #1 line a 2-4 years, which would be incredibly awesome for the team.  I though Bo and Boes had great chemistry, so Brock would still be putting up the points on the 2nd line.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed, but he just might force Boeser off the #1 line a 2-4 years, which would be incredibly awesome for the team.  I though Bo and Boes had great chemistry, so Brock would still be putting up the points on the 2nd line.

Podkolzin, I believe from what I read, can play both sides. I could be mistaken though.

23 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm starting to really like how this current team is starting to be assembled. We've got a good mix of high skilled guys and aggressive forechecking players built for the playoffs. While I don't think the Canucks will be strong favorites to make the playoffs I think they could do some damage once there, in a similar vein to how the LA Kings won the cup after barely making it in a few years back 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think learning English will be a problem for Podz.  He was born in Moscow, so I would think he is a huge fan of OV (who was also born in Moscow) and will likely want to follow his footsteps into the NHL.  Although there isn't a lot of English spoken in Russia, it is possible to find people that speak the language in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Datsyuk and Yakupov are teammates, so he will have opportunities to hear about the NHL and maybe learn some English as well.

Goldy was also born in Moscow; although he chose to go the OHL route, I'm sure that Podz is aware of him.  They may even have met each other this summer in Moscow.

Last, but not least...Podz is clearly a competitive individual who wants to play in the best hockey league in the world.  He's far too ambitious to allow a lack of (spoken)English to hold him back from his goal to make the NHL.

strangely, Panarin was still speaking thru an interpreter after signing with NYR.. maybe it's only a big deal for some players

19 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Exactly.  St Petersburg is as close to a European city in Russia.  

Lots of russians speak English or teach it   Going back to the cold war.  

Just ask Goosifer 2000 or any of the russian hackers, they know English too.