The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

23 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If you’re a pro hockey player and you don’t want to play in the best league in the world you’re weird. 

How many people in the world go to their jobs thinking "I want be the best at what I do and take on all difficult responsibilities" vs "Another 9-5 before I get to go home"?

People don't need to let their work define them, if they don't love hockey but it's the best way they know to make money then good on them.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

How many people in the world go to their jobs thinking "I want be the best at what I do and take on all difficult responsibilities" vs "Another 9-5 before I get to go home"?

People don't need to let their work define them, if they don't love hockey but it's the best way they know to make money then good on them.

You 100% don’t get to the NHL with that mindset. These are professional athletes. I guarantee all of them want to be the best or atleast compete with the best.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

https://en.khl.ru/news/2019/06/20/416648.html

from that article "Some compare him to Valery Nichushkin,"

:shock:

While I haven't watched too many highlights of both, the assessment of Pod seems to be that of tenacity and 2-way player with skill. I am not sure the same was said of Nichushkin.. who is being bought out. 

I hope Podkolzin is seeking glory 

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If you’re a pro hockey player and you don’t want to play in the best league in the world you’re weird. 

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Well that about sums it up.

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Or maybe some players wish to be closer to family and friends, perhaps they rather play for a team they grew up cheering, or some just rather not have to uproot their entire life to move to a foreign country that speaks a completely different language with customs and culture vastly different from what you are comfortable with.  

It's like saying if some kid grew up cheering for the Whitecaps and wishes to play in the MLS to be closer to home, then he's a weird person from your perspective.  

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Or maybe some players wish to be closer to family and friends, perhaps they rather play for a team they grew up cheering, or some just rather not have to uproot their entire life to move to a foreign country that speaks a completely different language with customs and culture vastly different from what you are comfortable with.  

It's like saying if some kid grew up cheering for the Whitecaps and wishes to play in the MLS to be closer to home, then he's a weird person from your perspective.  

The greatest players don’t stay at their local level if there are better leagues to challenge them.  No local boy grows up here hoping to play for the Whitecaps.  Podkolzin will be here next season.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

My wording was tongue and cheek. It’s like swimmers, runner and gymnasts wanting to make the olympics most athletes strive to be the best at what they do. If your life long goal is to be in a 2nd 3rd tier league I would say your an anomaly.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

The greatest players don’t stay at their local level if there are better leagues to challenge them.  No local boy grows up here hoping to play for the Whitecaps.  Podkolzin will be here next season.  

26 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

My wording was tongue and cheek. It’s like swimmers, runner and gymnasts wanting to make the olympics most athletes strive to be the best at what they do. If your life long goal is to be in a 2nd 3rd tier league I would say your an anomaly.  

Well my post suggests he wasn’t always great, which is why I brought up the fact Panarin was undrafted. Likely didn’t think he’d ever reach that level. Either way, we’ll likely never know what he was thinking before he was drafted.

5 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

https://en.khl.ru/news/2019/06/20/416648.html

from that article "Some compare him to Valery Nichushkin,"

:shock:

Just a brief mention of Nichushkin in the entire article (by his coach).  "Some compare him to Valery Nichushkin, but Valery crashes the net from the side, Vasily always tries to play in the middle.” 

I wouldn't get to worked about it AV.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm totally fine with waiting the full 2 years on him let him develop against men in the 2nd best league in the world on a team that has 2 championships in the last 5 years and 3 conference final appearances. Let the kid get a couple Gagarin cups under his belt bring him over when hes 20 with 3 full years of ELC left.

When he arrives he will be a true impact player developed in a winning environment I see him being there for 2 years as a huge advantage over say the CHL or burning 2 years off his ELC rushing him into the NHL playing bottom 6. 

Podkolzin will be a pretty good 2021 TDL acquisition won’t he?  I can see us really pushing deep into the 2021 playoffs, and winning the Cup.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

A lot of hockey players and other professional athletes don't enjoy their occupation.  They just happen to be proficient enough at it to make a living.  The prime example being Alexander Daigle.  He has talent and skill.... hence he was draft #1.  He was even able to put up 51 points in a depth role under Jacque Lemaire's early 2000's Minnesota Wild.... while with minimal motivation.  

His passion in life was actually acting, but he's good enough in hockey that he can earn decently overseas.

A bit of a nuance, but hockey players aren't paid to play hockey.... they're paid to win hockey games.  Waking up earlier to train, to review tapes, to be forced to eat a very strict diet, to meet with sponsors and other extra-circular activities, etc.  And this isn't even including the actual game... where your body get beaten and abused, where your life can change in an instant with a hit to a head, a stick or puck to the eye, blown knee, etc.  After that, you have to get treatment for all ailments, to get feedback from the coaching staff, to decompress with bike rides and ice bathes, etc.  If you're on a team out West, you may be forced to spend a third of the year on the road away from your family/kids, and depending on the market, be stuck in a fishbowl where your ever movement is pretty much tracked by the public.  

Hence why many players rather just stay overseas for hockey rather than slug it out in the AHL or ECHL for a shot back in the top league.  The pressure is less, the trips are much shorter (unless you're in the KHL), and you can have a better work/life balance.  Some guys would rather be able to wake up to make their children breakfast and then drop them off at school almost every morning on the way to the rink, rather than having to see them a couple of times per week in the NHL.  Money isn't everything, unless you are in the upper echelon of salary.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Podkolzin will be a pretty good 2021 TDL acquisition won’t he?  I can see us really pushing deep into the 2021 playoffs, and winning the Cup.  

I'm happy to burn a year off his elc in 2021 if he comes over. 

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

A lot of hockey players and other professional athletes don't enjoy their occupation.  They just happen to be proficient enough at it to make a living.  The prime example being Alexander Daigle.  He has talent and skill.... hence he was draft #1.  He was even able to put up 51 points in a depth role under Jacque Lemaire's early 2000's Minnesota Wild.... while with minimal motivation.  

His passion in life was actually acting, but he's good enough in hockey that he can earn decently overseas.

A bit of a nuance, but hockey players aren't paid to play hockey.... they're paid to win hockey games.  Waking up earlier to train, to review tapes, to be forced to eat a very strict diet, to meet with sponsors and other extra-circular activities, etc.  And this isn't even including the actual game... where your body get beaten and abused, where your life can change in an instant with a hit to a head, a stick or puck to the eye, blown knee, etc.  After that, you have to get treatment for all ailments, to get feedback from the coaching staff, to decompress with bike rides and ice bathes, etc.  If you're on a team out West, you may be forced to spend a third of the year on the road away from your family/kids, and depending on the market, be stuck in a fishbowl where your ever movement is pretty much tracked by the public.  

Hence why many players rather just stay overseas for hockey rather than slug it out in the AHL or ECHL for a shot back in the top league.  The pressure is less, the trips are much shorter (unless you're in the KHL), and you can have a better work/life balance.  Some guys would rather be able to wake up to make their children breakfast and then drop them off at school almost every morning on the way to the rink, rather than having to see them a couple of times per week in the NHL.  Money isn't everything, unless you are in the upper echelon of salary.  

At the same time, when your NHL game finishes, you're on a private charter being served fillet mignon and pouched halibut. When you AHL game finishes, you hand the trainer a $10 to pick you up a Subway sandwich before you get on the bus.

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Money isn't everything, but it does play a big factor. Some of those guys in the KHL make quite a bit of $$ and have families to support. If youre a star in the KHL lets just say making about $3million equivalent, and want to risk going to the NHL but having to go through the AHL and so on, taking a massive pay cut. Yes everybody wants to play in the best league in the world but depending on the player, the risk might be too big if its going to affect their families. Making the NHL isn't guaranteed, hence it being the best league in the planet