The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

17 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think its more of a reflection of how good he is, he wasn't expected to get to us, and given Byram was playing locally he was a natural to review, even though the odds of him falling to us were zero

I don't know. Podkolzin coud've gone anywhere between #3 and #23. I just think the media doesn't know enough about him, and have paid a lot more attention to the NA players, and a few Swedes - I guess whichever players are most popular. But okay, fair enough, maybe they felt Podkolzin was too good and wouldn't fall to #10. ;)  But what about now? Canucks got him, holy crap he fell !!!

Where are the articles? Where is the hype? Where is the hope in their articles? Canucks sports writers are the worst. At least in TOR, they live in a dreamland of denial, but it gives fans hope. Here, they crush our hopes by regurgitating all of Benning's mistakes and missteps over the last 5 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im fine with developing him overseas, Petey, Hughes, and Boeser all developed well away from the Canucks. I would say the prospects who have developed the most in the last five years have not been anywhere near our farm system especially college players. Guys like Lind, Gadj, Petrus, Dahlen all seemed to stall in development, while players like Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Juolevi developed very well in other leagues.  Might just be a coincidence but it doesn't look good on our development system.  

The Ahl handling of our prospects has not been ideal at all to say the least

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Request denied.

"Scouching" has already touted him a lion.

Some guy who sits on the couch in Toronto gave him a nickname and that's gonna stick over a BC boy who's been sitting on his couch for 2 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7's?

Where has the forum gone to that we give authority to peeps from TO over homegrown! 

Lol, I watched that breakdown from Will Scouch, he's a good dude. The lion will get you right?

I like the Orca because it feels like his feet are always moving, same as swimming. Lions are remarkably lazy foremost of the day. Orcas play and strategize how to hunt down their prey together. Works as a team. I feel like he has those qualities. 

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im fine with developing him overseas, Petey, Hughes, and Boeser all developed well away from the Canucks. I would say the prospects who have developed the most in the last five years have not been anywhere near our farm system especially college players. Guys like Lind, Gadj, Petrus, Dahlen all seemed to stall in development, while players like Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Juolevi developed very well in other leagues.  Might just be a coincidence but it doesn't look good on our development system.  

Gaudette has been continuing his development just fine down there (albeit limited time with injuries), Lind started turning it around in what I'll remind people was his first year of pro which is a HUGE adjustment, Juolevi was having an excellent year until the injury/surgery shut him down, Demko developed just fine, Virtanen's time there was invaluable to get him to buying in to actually be a pro, MacEwan's been developing well, Jasek, Brisebois and Sautner too.

Perhaps the problem lies with a few individual players (most of whom were longer shots to begin with or have since shown perhaps they weren't destined to the NHL regardless)...?

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Y'know, all of the expert hockey reporting by our own Kuzma and Willes leading up to the Draft, neither of them did a feature on Podkolzin. It was all about Boldy, Krebs, Byram, Soderstrom, Broberg, etc. Every day Kuzma did a feature on one of the Draft prospects, but he didn't bother doing a feature on Podkolzin. 

Goes to show, they have no clue. They still aren't saying much about him, because I don't think they know anything. Next to Pettersson and possibly Hughes, Pod could be the best prospect this team has had in a while. Where's the articles Kuzma and Willes? I think they're too busy bashing Benning these days to pay attention to the Canucks prospects.  

Yup, very little talk on Pod or the guy I was talking a lot about in Seider who went 6th OA. The media is largely a bunch of clueless arse-hats who only know what real hockey people feed them. I honestly don't know why so  many listen to and give credence to their largely ignorant ramblings.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Gaudette has been continuing his development just fine down there (albeit limited time with injuries), Lind started turning it around in what I'll remind people was his first year of pro which is a HUGE adjustment, Juolevi was having an excellent year until the injury/surgery shut him down, Demko developed just fine, Virtanen's time there was invaluable to get him to buying in to actually be a pro, MacEwan's been developing well, Jasek, Brisebois and Sautner too.

Perhaps the problem lies with a few individual players (most of whom were longer shots to begin with or have since shown perhaps they weren't destined to the NHL regardless)...?

Yup, very little talk on Pod or the guy I was talking a lot about in Seider who went 6th OA. The media is largely a bunch of clueless arse-hats who only know what real hockey people feed them. I honestly don't know why so  many listen to and give credence to their largely ignorant ramblings.

Im just comparing them to the ones who developed in other leagues, Gaudette and Juolevi have spent very limited time in Utica. Demko and MacEwan have developed well there, but seems like the college players are showing better yearly development even the 3-5 rounders. The last player we drafted out of the CHL who really exceeded expectations was Bo and he only spent 5 games in Utica. 

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im just comparing them to the ones who developed in other leagues, Gaudette and Juolevi have spent very limited time in Utica. Demko and MacEwan have developed well there, but seems like the college players are showing better yearly development even the 3-5 rounders. The last player we drafted out of the CHL who really exceeded expectations was Bo and he only spent 5 games in Utica. 

I'm not sure why it matters where they came from...

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Where our players develop and the development of players in our farm system doesnt matter?

That's not what I said. Whether they've come through CHL, college, Europe etc doesn't particularly matter.

A couple of guys, who were generally longer shots to begin with, does not a trend make.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's not what I said. Whether they've come through CHL, college, Europe etc doesn't particularly matter.

A couple of guys, who were generally longer shots to begin with, does not a trend make.

I think there is clearly a trend, seems like our prospects are offered larger offensive roles in other leagues and it might be the case that prospects are being brought in to Utica too early. 

Podkolzin is in the KHL and is arguably on the Top KHL team that is stacked, St Petersburg. Plus it’s Vladimir Putin’s favorite team so that Team is treated differently ( more privileges example there’s no salary cap for SKA rest of the league there is a cap ). Its also expected to win every year. 

It says a lot about a 17yr kid just to make the the KHL, but too make it on the SKA team that’s huge.  Unfortunately Pod only played a few minutes per game and only played a few games so his stats where low but he’s was a 17yr kid. This upcoming season I’m sure he’ll get more ice time and his Stats will rise and he’ll keep developing.

as Far as Utica IMO the Swed league, Fin League and Swiss Leagues are better for developing players then the piss poor Utica team and staff. im sick of the crappy posts that are full of excuses and $&!#ty examples of the Utica management team doing a decent job. Fire the lot of the them. If they were in Russia the staff would of disappeared never to be seen again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

Some guy who sits on the couch in Toronto gave him a nickname and that's gonna stick over a BC boy who's been sitting on his couch for 2 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7's?

Where has the forum gone to that we give authority to peeps from TO over homegrown! 

Lol, I watched that breakdown from Will Scouch, he's a good dude. The lion will get you right?

I like the Orca because it feels like his feet are always moving, same as swimming. Lions are remarkably lazy foremost of the day. Orcas play and strategize how to hunt down their prey together. Works as a team. I feel like he has those qualities. 

Chill it's just a nickname :lol:

I think "lion" is more intimidating.

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

The Ahl handling of our prospects has not been ideal at all to say the least

Canucks have had a number of "graduates" from AHL do very well.   Not sure what you are on about.

Demko?

Gaudette?

Baer?

Virtanen?

Sautner?

Markstrom?

Edler?

Tanev?

Kesler?

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You also have to keep in mind the College kids are spending 2-4 years there. We don't even give our AHL kids 2 years before we cry about the sky falling. Lind and Gadjovich struggle in their first ever year in the AHL and now we apparently have a Utica problem and nobody can develop there. Lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You also have to keep in mind the College kids are spending 2-4 years there. We don't even give our AHL kids 2 years before we cry about the sky falling. Lind and Gadjovich struggle in their first ever year in the AHL and now we apparently have a Utica problem and nobody can develop there. Lol.

Ya true, I just cant remember the last time out farm team produced a top 6 forward or Top 4 Dman that spent more than a year with our AHL team. Manitoba helped produced a lot of good players back in the day. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I

Ya true, I just cant remember the last time out farm team produced a top 6 forward or Top 4 Dman that spent more than a year with our AHL team. Manitoba helped produced a lot of good players back in the day. 

Crest of a wave my friend. Crest of a wave.