The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks have had a number of "graduates" from AHL do very well.   Not sure what you are on about.

Demko?

Gaudette?

Baer?

Virtanen?

Sautner?

Markstrom?

Edler?

Tanev?

Kesler?

Going back more than a decade and previous regimes and several coach’s ago to dig up players doesn’t help your argument...

In that list, there are also players who haven’t become NHL regulars yet; who mostly developed in other leagues or teams with just a handful of games with our AHL team.

51 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I

Ya true, I just cant remember the last time out farm team produced a top 6 forward or Top 4 Dman that spent more than a year with our AHL team. Manitoba helped produced a lot of good players back in the day. 

Fewer kids are going that route and fewer kids really need it. Not to mention Benning traded picks for NHL ready players. Those picks likely would have gone through there if they didn’t develop in their respective draft leagues. Either way we should be happy most players don’t really need the A. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

You also have to keep in mind the College kids are spending 2-4 years there. We don't even give our AHL kids 2 years before we cry about the sky falling. Lind and Gadjovich struggle in their first ever year in the AHL and now we apparently have a Utica problem and nobody can develop there. Lol.

Well we do cry and complain if they get worse rather than better, no matter the league.

Also, AHL players are generally older than college players... andhave had extra years of development, so it isn’t an apples to apples comparison.  19 year olds who have had two years of college under their belts who would just be starting in the AHL.

Lockwood and Gadjovich were born the same year a few months apart and Lockwood has 3 college seasons under his belt while Gadjovich has 1 AHL season.  You can be assured that people would be freaking out if Lockwood and all the other college guys weren’t progressing in their 3rd years.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well we do cry and complain if they get worse rather than better, no matter the league.

Also, AHL players are generally older than college players... andhave had extra years of development, so it isn’t an apples to apples comparison.  19 year olds who have had two years of college under their belts who would just be starting in the AHL.

Lockwood and Gadjovich were born the same year a few months apart and Lockwood has 3 college seasons under his belt while Gadjovich has 1 AHL season.  You can be assured that people would be freaking out if Lockwood and all the other college guys weren’t progressing in their 3rd years.

So because Gadjovich struggled in his one year in a new league it's a problem with the AHL team? And his year 1 AHL season is comparable to Lockwood's 3rd college season? "well Lockwood is steadily improving staying in the same league playing under the same program. But Gadjovich is struggling in a brand new league, with a brand new team, playing a different role. Therefore, UTICA PROBLEM"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Scouts worried about his offensive production and stats, but man this kid's game is just so polished at such a young age.  I feel the attention and detail to his game will allow him opportunities to pad the points.  Even if he isn't a prolific scorer, seeing his work ethic is so encouraging that I would be happy with him anywhere up and down the lineup.

Seems like a swiss army knife with a desire to will the puck away from you and towards the net.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Scouts worried about his offensive production and stats, but man this kid's game is just so polished at such a young age.  I feel the attention and detail to his game will allow him opportunities to pad the points.  Even if he isn't a prolific scorer, seeing his work ethic is so encouraging that I would be happy with him anywhere up and down the lineup.

Seems like a swiss army knife with a desire to will the puck away from you and towards the net.

Kid definitely is a beauty when you watch him play. If all you do is look at goals and points yeah his draft season seems underwhelming but he also bounced around a fair bit. Hard to get any traction like that. This kid is a hound. I think this is what Hansen could have been with more talent and better hands. 

43 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This kid has been playing against men already,.  If he gets a solid shot, 1st full season with the Cast of players we have on the Canucks as of today..  we might see numbers from an NHL rookie, in all aspects of the game.. that we have never seen.

3 speed hockey, solid puck control, unorthodox release of the puck, tenacious, attention to D..  

my pet name for him is “The Dragon”.. he will burn you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

So because Gadjovich struggled in his one year in a new league it's a problem with the AHL team? And his year 1 AHL season is comparable to Lockwood's 3rd college season? "well Lockwood is steadily improving staying in the same league playing under the same program. But Gadjovich is struggling in a brand new league, with a brand new team, playing a different role. Therefore, UTICA PROBLEM"

Except it isn’t just Gadjovich, most players were ahead of their draft position in development and that came to a screeching halt in Utica.  

When Benning’s big triumph he talks about for Utica is Brisebois... we have a problem. 

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

This kid has been playing against men already,.  If he gets a solid shot, 1st full season with the Cast of players we have on the Canucks as of today..  we might see numbers from an NHL rookie, in all aspects of the game.. that we have never seen.

3 speed hockey, solid puck control, unorthodox release of the puck, tenacious, attention to D..  

my pet name for him is “The Dragon”.. he will burn you.

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

My Nick name for him will Vas

As in he is so Vas that you can't catch him

Boys, boys c'mon, his nickname is V Pod. End of story. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Boys, boys c'mon, his nickname is V Pod. End of story. 

Must be some kind of Gen-X thing .. right?   ... lacks any creativity and all tech..

13FAE87B-7E06-4CD9-BBA1-1B63958D4CBE.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If you had the choice between Lind developing in college or Utica last year, would you hands down pick Utica though over say North Dakota? The main advantage of the richer NHL teams is they are able to sink more money into player development ie the best skills, strength, and skating coaches and facilities. Heard Ray Ferraro talking about how the much the Leafs spend on player development and how it is one of the main advantages of a team like the leafs over budget teams. I believe Canucks are getting a new practice facility near rogers arena, so that is a good start. 

But the original point was I feel comfortable with Podkolzin developing in the KHL, no need to rush him to NA just to play in AHL.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If you had the choice between Lind developing in college or Utica last year, would you hands down pick Utica though over say North Dakota? The main advantage of the richer NHL teams is they are able to sink more money into player development ie the best skills, strength, and skating coaches and facilities. Heard Ray Ferraro talking about how the much the Leafs spend on player development and how it is one of the main advantages of a team like the leafs over budget teams. I believe Canucks are getting a new practice facility near rogers arena, so that is a good start. 

But the original point was I feel comfortable with Podkolzin developing in the KHL, no need to rush him to NA just to play in AHL.    

The comparison, as was stated isn't fair. The argument should be would I rather have a guy from the CHL or College. Ideally, I'd rather of had Lind in the AHL (or really any pro league) right outta his draft, same with Virtanen and Woo. The problem isn't the AHL, it's the CHL. It's not a very competitive league. At least not at the pro level. So, no. I wouldn't rather have Lind in College last year over Utica. I'd rather of had Lind in the AHL two years ago. The college guys spend 2 years after their draft against older better competition than CHL players. CHL players play against kids for 1-2 years, then have to readjust to playing against men in a more pro environment whereas College players already have that experience in College. Essentially CHL players really start their pro development after leaving the CHL and not after being drafted. There was a reason Juolevi left the London Knights for Liiga. 

And I agree with the original point. Nobody should be mad he is developing in the KHL. It's a great league in terms of quality of competition. It's on par with the AHL if not superior in terms of talent. Ice size means nothing to me too since it should help his game more when he swaps over the NHL sized ice with the way he forechecks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Lind and Gadj could have used one more year in the CHL, especially Gadj his skating wasnt ready for the AHL and it resulted in low playing time. I would rather have our prospects get +20 minutes of ice time playing in all situations, being the go to guy. Rather than a third or fourth liner on a pro team. I think Ryan Johnson even said they probably shouldnt have been there. Lind seems like a kid who can handle adversity, hopefully he bounces back next season and comes in stronger and faster.   

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think Lind and Gadj could have used one more year in the CHL, especially Gadj his skating wasnt ready for the AHL and it resulted in low playing time. I would rather have our prospects get +20 minutes of ice time playing in all situations, being the go to guy. Rather than a third or fourth liner on a pro team. I think Ryan Johnson even said they probably shouldnt have been there. Lind seems like a kid who can handle adversity, hopefully he bounces back next season and comes in stronger and faster.   

Canucks need to step in . winning in the ahl is not the priority, developing our prospects is .

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Going back more than a decade and previous regimes and several coach’s ago to dig up players doesn’t help your argument...

In that list, there are also players who haven’t become NHL regulars yet; who mostly developed in other leagues or teams with just a handful of games with our AHL team.

I am not arguing - I was asked about AHL development.   AHL, CHL, SHL, etc. have all assisted in developing players for the Canucks at the NHL level.

Look at EVERY NHL team's AHL roster - IF four or five of those guys get meaningful NHL games that is a decent accomplishment.    Canucks had such an empty tank just four or five year ago, now you can legitimately see where those four or five will come from (nice glimpse last year with Demko, Gaudette and Sautner,  this year likely at least OJ and perhaps games for others like Lind, Chatfield etc. later in season).    

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not arguing - I was asked about AHL development.   AHL, CHL, SHL, etc. have all assisted in developing players for the Canucks at the NHL level.

Look at EVERY NHL team's AHL roster - IF four or five of those guys get meaningful NHL games that is a decent accomplishment.    Canucks had such an empty tank just four or five year ago, now you can legitimately see where those four or five will come from (nice glimpse last year with Demko, Gaudette and Sautner,  this year likely at least OJ and perhaps games for others like Lind, Chatfield etc. later in season).    

This. We were in such a bad position a few years ago, it's gonna take some time to get the AHL depth back to where it needs to be at. Adding Perron, and graovac will definitely help he development of guys like Lind and Gadj. The way Lind turned up at the end of the season has me hopeful that he's somewhat got it figured out, can see him stepping up this year.

• Cheers 2