Sign in to follow this  
GoldenAlien

Vasily Podkolzin | RW

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A lot of NHL scouts saw him as a 1st line player.

 

Why do you think he would just be a 3rd line player?

I know this isn't directed at me, but I worry about his ability to use his teammates. I'm still pretty ignorant on the player and basing this almost entirely on hilights, but from what I've seen, he tries to do too much himself. Almost every goal I've seen is a largely individual effort, with him breaking his way through the opposing defenders and powering his way to the net himself with his strength. Players are much bigger and stronger in the NHL, and I just don't think he'll be capable of pulling off the type of offense that he tends to deliver on a consistent level in this league. I imagine he'll break through once in a while, but it's difficult for me to watch his hilights and say with any certainty that his game will translate into top 6 NHL production. I see comparable traits to Virtanen in his game. Obviously they're different players, with Podkolzin being stronger and having a higher hockey IQ, while Virtanen obviously has the advantage in speed and probably with his shot as well, but they're both players that have a north-south game and both players made a name for themselves by being able to power their ways to the net. I just don't think that's going to translate when he starts playing against stronger competition. 

 

He's not going to be able to pull stuff like this off on a consistent level against NHL competition imho. 

 

LateRepentantDwarfmongoose-size_restrict

 

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player. A coaches dream and I can see him being a dangerous penalty killer as well, but I don't see him generating a ton of even strength offense. We'll see how he fares in the KHL this year, but I have the feeling that he's going to struggle to produce a lot more than people here seem to think.

 

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and that I wind up with egg on my face, but I'm honestly not in love with the pick at 10. If it makes you feel any better I was dead wrong about Pettersson when he was drafted :P

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A lot of NHL scouts saw him as a 1st line player.

 

Why do you think he would just be a 3rd line player?

As I pointed out. Because of special teams usage mostly Penalty killing and the way he plays so hard. He can’t play 25mins a game. He can play comfortably at 18ish mins.

also him playing 3rd line well rounds out the whole team.

Playoffs he’ll probably be moved up the line up and get tons of ice time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will let the actual NHL coaches and trainers work with Podkolzin when he comes over here in one year or two and let them determine his usage.

 

The only information I have seen from actual NHL scouts and hockey people is that he is a dynamic forward with 1st line potential.  It is just a wee bit premature to start saying he is a 3rd line NHLer when he probably won't hit NHL ice for at least 1 year if not 2.

 

:lol:

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I will let the actual NHL coaches and trainers work with Podkolzin when he comes over here in one year or two and let them determine his usage.

 

The only information I have seen from actual NHL scouts and hockey people is that he is a dynamic forward with 1st line potential.  It is just a wee bit premature to start saying he is a 3rd line NHLer when he probably won't hit NHL ice for at least 1 year if not 2.

 

:lol:

Maybe, but we can look at the tendencies in his game and estimate what type of plateau those tendencies may lead him to.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's fair to say Podkolzin could use his teammates better. That's something he can learn playing in the KHL. He's in a good situation.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I know this isn't directed at me, but I worry about his ability to use his teammates. I'm still pretty ignorant on the player and basing this almost entirely on hilights, but from what I've seen, he tries to do too much himself. Almost every goal I've seen is a largely individual effort, with him breaking his way through the opposing defenders and powering his way to the net himself with his strength. Players are much bigger and stronger in the NHL, and I just don't think he'll be capable of pulling off the type of offense that he tends to deliver on a consistent level in this league. I imagine he'll break through once in a while, but it's difficult for me to watch his hilights and say with any certainty that his game will translate into top 6 NHL production. I see comparable traits to Virtanen in his game. Obviously they're different players, with Podkolzin being stronger and having a higher hockey IQ, while Virtanen obviously has the advantage in speed and probably with his shot as well, but they're both players that have a north-south game and both players made a name for themselves by being able to power their ways to the net. I just don't think that's going to translate when he starts playing against stronger competition. 

 

He's not going to be able to pull stuff like this off on a consistent level against NHL competition imho. 

 

LateRepentantDwarfmongoose-size_restrict

 

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player. A coaches dream and I can see him being a dangerous penalty killer as well, but I don't see him generating a ton of even strength offense. We'll see how he fares in the KHL this year, but I have the feeling that he's going to struggle to produce a lot more than people here seem to think.

 

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and that I wind up with egg on my face, but I'm honestly not in love with the pick at 10. If it makes you feel any better I was dead wrong about Pettersson when he was drafted :P

This often referenced goal shows how he knew he was the best option to score. Look at his teammates as soon as he accelerated. They were ALL behind the play in a blink of an eye. He's not a puckhog.

 

45 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think it's fair to say Podkolzin could use his teammates better. That's something he can learn playing in the KHL. He's in a good situation.

His passing is cited by Andy Lehoux (of Hockey Considerations) as being really good. His vision is one of the best in the draft.

 

So... yeah, he's not a one trick pony.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bure could have used his teammates better :lol:

watch Pavel and think about Podkolzin going end to end.  

 

Most electrifying player EVER

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This often referenced goal shows how he knew he was the best option to score. Look at his teammates as soon as he accelerated. They were ALL behind the play in a blink of an eye. He's not a puckhog.

 

His passing is cited by Andy Lehoux (of Hockey Considerations) as being really good. His vision is one of the best in the draft.

 

So... yeah, he's not a one trick pony.

Many of his highlights show the same type of play. Pod either racing up through the middle or the side, fending of the defenders with his strength and either getting the puck on net or getting a pass off. Certainly work ethic and strength are qualities you want in a player, but how well will it translate when the players are bigger and stronger? The poster above made the comparison to Pavel Bure, which just isn't a fair comparison to make. Bure was one of the fastest skaters to ever play in the NHL and had butter-soft hands to boot. We know that Podkolzin's speed is average at best, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that his hands are anything to write home about either. His struggles in league play also indicate to me that he'll struggle when put up against players that he can't physically dominate. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Many of his highlights show the same type of play. Pod either racing up through the middle or the side, fending of the defenders with his strength and either getting the puck on net or getting a pass off. Certainly work ethic and strength are qualities you want in a player, but how well will it translate when the players are bigger and stronger? The poster above made the comparison to Pavel Bure, which just isn't a fair comparison to make. Bure was one of the fastest skaters to ever play in the NHL and had butter-soft hands to boot. We know that Podkolzin's speed is average at best, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that his hands are anything to write home about either. His struggles in league play also indicate to me that he'll struggle when put up against players that he can't physically dominate. 

He's already playing against men, is he not? What's the issue? I have no doubt he'll adjust.


This is the video I was talking about. Note his passing and vision comments.

 

I think your fears should be quelled with this...

Yes, he has to improve his skating. Pod even said he'll work on it. This guy is the current captain of the Russian team. I have absolute confidence he'll up his game.

 

 

 

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

 

:wub:

Anyone notice the fan noise and electricity?

 

what the heck happened to us Vancouver fans? Now it’s like a funeral at a game in Rogers 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

As I pointed out. Because of special teams usage mostly Penalty killing and the way he plays so hard. He can’t play 25mins a game. He can play comfortably at 18ish mins.

also him playing 3rd line well rounds out the whole team.

Playoffs he’ll probably be moved up the line up and get tons of ice time.

No forward in the NHL is playing 25 mins a game...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

No forward in the NHL is playing 25 mins a game...

run running GIF

 

No wonder there are some that are disappointed with our prospects.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Anyone notice the fan noise and electricity?

 

what the heck happened to us Vancouver fans? Now it’s like a funeral at a game in Rogers 

Haven't had much to get excited about in recent years... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I know this isn't directed at me, but I worry about his ability to use his teammates. I'm still pretty ignorant on the player and basing this almost entirely on hilights, but from what I've seen, he tries to do too much himself. Almost every goal I've seen is a largely individual effort, with him breaking his way through the opposing defenders and powering his way to the net himself with his strength. Players are much bigger and stronger in the NHL, and I just don't think he'll be capable of pulling off the type of offense that he tends to deliver on a consistent level in this league. I imagine he'll break through once in a while, but it's difficult for me to watch his hilights and say with any certainty that his game will translate into top 6 NHL production. I see comparable traits to Virtanen in his game. Obviously they're different players, with Podkolzin being stronger and having a higher hockey IQ, while Virtanen obviously has the advantage in speed and probably with his shot as well, but they're both players that have a north-south game and both players made a name for themselves by being able to power their ways to the net. I just don't think that's going to translate when he starts playing against stronger competition. 

 

He's not going to be able to pull stuff like this off on a consistent level against NHL competition imho. 

 

LateRepentantDwarfmongoose-size_restrict

 

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player. A coaches dream and I can see him being a dangerous penalty killer as well, but I don't see him generating a ton of even strength offense. We'll see how he fares in the KHL this year, but I have the feeling that he's going to struggle to produce a lot more than people here seem to think.

 

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and that I wind up with egg on my face, but I'm honestly not in love with the pick at 10. If it makes you feel any better I was dead wrong about Pettersson when he was drafted :P

I totally get what you're saying... it's the Jake Virtanen effect and it really does hit a lot of guys who were bigger and stronger in junior hard (Gadjovich is another example).

 

However, I really don't think it applies to Podkolzin. Yes he does have to ability to blow through players if need be, but that's not the nucleus of his game. As others have said, his passing and two-way play are actually some of his better attributes. His skating needs work and he is not an elite puck-handler or dangler. He plays a strong, determined game and seems to be more than capable of using his teammates at the right time.

 

If there's one Canucks his playing style actually reminds me of it's actually Trevor Linden. Not overly flashy but above average skill and buckets of will. 

 

Maybe he won't score the electrifying goals he did against younger competition in the NHL but I have no doubt his overall game will translate well.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bure could have used his teammates better :lol:

watch Pavel and think about Podkolzin going end to end.  

 

Most electrifying player EVER

Thanks for that Alf!   We are so blessed to have watched him play,.  I honestly don’t think there was a better player to play his own style, with an amazing amount of grit, talent, and determination.

 I can’t remember him being an embellishing type, where others with that elite skill were.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Anyone notice the fan noise and electricity?

 

what the heck happened to us Vancouver fans? Now it’s like a funeral at a game in Rogers 

Rogers Arena is a morgue compared to the old Pacific Coliseum.  That first game of Bure was absolutely electric.  I was there.  People were literally standing on their feet, they weren't sitting down.  Nobody could actually believe what they were seeing.  Nobody had ever played like that in a Vancouver uniform before.  It was shocking to us all who were there.  The playoffs at the Coliseum were even better,  1994 was the greatest year ever.  When those towels came out oh boy.  And Bure on the ice, it was legendary.  I don't think we will ever experience that again unfortunately.  Maybe Petey, Brock and Quinn can bring some of that magic back.  Not sure it will ever be the same though.  Times were different back then.  Rogers Arena is mostly corporate now.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rogers Arena is a morgue compared to the old Pacific Coliseum.  That first game of Bure was absolutely electric.  I was there.  People were literally standing on their feet, they weren't sitting down.  Nobody could actually believe what they were seeing.  Nobody had ever played like that in a Vancouver uniform before.  It was shocking to us all who were there.  The playoffs at the Coliseum were even better,  1994 was the greatest year ever.  When those towels came out oh boy.  And Bure on the ice, it was legendary.  I don't think we will ever experience that again unfortunately.  Maybe Petey, Brock and Quinn can bring some of that magic back.  Not sure it will ever be the same though.  Times were different back then.  Rogers Arena is mostly corporate now.  

I was going to answer my own question in my original post. Back in those days true fans could afford to go to games and unleash their passion for the game and the Canucks.

 

the prices are now to a point where those fans are at home in front of TV’s and replaced in the arena by corporate seats designed to have drinks and wine and dine clients. There is no way this new dynamic can generate that kind of excitement and passion from a crowd. 

 

At best it it would be in a playoff run 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rogers Arena is a morgue compared to the old Pacific Coliseum

The NHL was different (better) back then. I agree that it's a pretty poor sporting atmosphere at Canucks games. They try with Fin banging his drum or having fans try to figure out where the donut is under the Timmy's cup. Yawwwn. Being at a Canucks game must be like trying to enjoy a rock concert in Japan. No one is really allowed to enjoy themselves too much.

 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.