The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Is that the MHL?

Yes, based on the jersey colour, this is SKA-Varyagi (Vikings) from the MHL, see picture.

BTW this is goalie Yaroslav Askarov who is projected to be drafted in the first round of 2020 NHL draft.

varyagi.jpg

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Shiftynifty said:

Seems to be starting in the KHL. Haven’t played much (41 seconds) throughout 2 periods.

Looks like he finished the game with only that 41 seconds of icetime on 1 shift. :( 

I didn’t see the game so can’t comment on whether he made a bad play and got benched, or (more likely) it was just a case of a young player not getting any icetime, which really isn’t anything unusual.

Pod was dressed as the 13th forward today (SKA dressed 13F/7D) and it’s quite common for those spare guys to get under a minute of icetime, sometimes even zero.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like he finished the game with only that 41 seconds of icetime on 1 shift. :( 

I didn’t see the game so can’t comment on whether he made a bad play and got benched, or (more likely) it was just a case of a young player not getting any icetime, which really isn’t anything unusual.

Pod was dressed as the 13th forward today (SKA dressed 13F/7D) and it’s quite common for those spare guys to get under a minute of icetime, sometimes even zero.

Podz is a super high compete guy.  He’s going to want to help his team.  

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

too bad about the ice time...players want to play. Not very good way to develop sitting on the bench. If this is the way, he would be better off moving to the next league down and playing big minutes.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Podz is a super high compete guy.  He’s going to want to help his team.  

Yeah, he just needs to work hard in practice and be ready for when a teammate gets benched/injured and he gets the tap to join one of the regular lines. His time will come. And if not, a loan to the VHL wouldn’t be the worst thing (although we’re a fair ways away from that). Hopefully he’s just being brought along slowly but when he gets his chance, he’ll prove himself and force his way into the lineup as a regular.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hope this kid gets some playing time, not ideal for a top ranked pick to ride the pine as an extra forward for large pieces of a season when they are trying to develop.

Too bad he can't get out of that KHL contract sooner and at worst play in Utica for a bit 

36 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hope this kid gets some playing time, not ideal for a top ranked pick to ride the pine as an extra forward for large pieces of a season when they are trying to develop.

Too bad he can't get out of that KHL contract sooner and at worst play in Utica for a bit 

I think this is pre-season for them so I don;t think seeing strange TOI totals are not that uncommon.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You'd think in preseason they'd give the kids more ice time to see what they can do. But Russia does seem bass ackwards so I dunno. Lol.

Maybe they see him as more of a sure thing and doesn't need extra time in the pre-season.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

It's probably just some of that old school mantra ....think Willie D.,  you have to make them earn it...by scoring goals while sitting on the bench...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It's probably just some of that old school mantra ....think Willie D.,  you have to make them earn it...by scoring goals while sitting on the bench...

Willy was far more new age than that. He liked to bench players for scoring goals 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

He'll be fine, they often rotate players to keep their teams fresh. I think their travel makes ours look easy. Sometimes watching the game and processing it helps occasionally for young players to reset if they're going through any rough stretches. They're not developing this guy to by captain of the Russian team by playing him under a minute every night.

I like the idea of being able to dress 13 forwards and 7 dmen in case of injuries. I'm sure the extra players won't mind sitting on the bench waiting for the call even if not playing any shifts all game rather than simply sit in the pressbox (these guys are getting paid either way). The NA mindset/media won't understand it though and will start creating drama if a player only got 41 seconds of ice time all game and suggesting the player is in the coaches doghouse or whatnot. It would be that much more valuable come playoff time though. Only issue I see is teams could dress goons for that extra spot and bring them on to create spark or retribution which could get ugly.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think this is pre-season for them so I don;t think seeing strange TOI totals are not that uncommon.

This was the first regular season game for SKA which won 3-1. I agree with Sid that Vasily is being brought along slowly, just look how nervous he was on the bench...

pod2.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1