The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Maybe they do things differently in Russia? Podkolzin is still a kid basically, and playing with the big boys. Even if he can keep up and play well, the coach may want to keep him hungry for those precious minutes, taking full advantage every time he's on the ice. There's probably a lot of vetean players on the team as well, and they might feel seniority plays a role. Podkolzin will need to bide his time, watching and learning from the bench, and then giving full effort when he gets his shot. I have no concerns with his development. He could play in the NHL this year, if he was allowed. If anything, this Russia coach is pi**ing him off and that might make him more hungry for the NHL.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pod got 1 shift for 30 seconds in today’s game (his 4th game of the season).

Could this also be partly Podz paying his dues.  Russian coaches are notorious for shying away from using young players?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Could this also be partly Podz paying his dues.  Russian coaches are notorious for shying away from using young players?

I'd say that's exactly what it is.  He's a kid playing in a men's pro league........he's not going to get many mins at the best of times.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely. I’ve never really tried to suggest otherwise. It’s highly unusual for a player as young as Podkolzin to make a KHL roster, especially one as deep as SKA. The low minutes aren’t really a concern, especially this early in the season. If he can stick around, get into practices, and pick up occasional game minutes, he can get a lot of good development where he is. Otherwise, a VHL loan will give him plenty of icetime, but we’re far from that point, and I expect Pod will slowly gain more trust and see his role and minutes increase as the season progresses. He also may get a jumpstart into a larger role if/when injuries occur.

Maybe Russians hate Vancouver and because he's a Canucks draft pick, he's blacklisted!

47 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Chicken or egg scenario i guess. Theres a pretty big list of promising prospects that havent flourished in utica. 

How many of them are considered top, or even moderately highly touted prospects?  Not msny, that's for sure.

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

How many of them are considered top, or even moderately highly touted prospects?  Not msny, that's for sure.

Lind was a 2nd rd pick that could have easily been taken late in the 1st and put up similar numbers to Cody Glass in his draft +1. Dahlen was a relatively highly touted prospect, although I'd say his issues stem from his attitude more than anything. Gadj was a 2nd rounder. Gaunce was a 1st rounder. And there are a handful of guys that, while not super highly touted prospects, still looked like they could blossom into NHLers. While it's still too early to write a lot of them off, I can't imagine guys like Brisebois or Chatfield making much of an impact at this point.

Every team has one or two guys not picked in the 1st rd that have developed into key contributors.Hell, look at our cup run team. Bieksa, Burrows, Raymond, Edler, Hansen, Tanev. All guys that we're either picked outside the 1st rd or not drafted at all that turned into key contributors for us. We have to start hitting the mark on some of these guys or we'll be doomed to overpaying for free agents or coughing up more assets than we should to fill those roles for a long time.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 2

I love this prospect. Hes got the heart of a lion and is a coaches dream. I think he will be a 60 point 2 way beast in his prime, if he can avoid the injury bug. He plays will reckless abandon on some plays which is awesome but also scary.  I think our window to win the cup starts in 2 years when this guy arrives. 

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I doubt there's much to freak out about yet.  At this point, the experience of being around a top pro team and players is just as valuable for his development as playing time is.

I agree. As long as hes learning, which he definitely is being around one of the best teams in the KHL. Im happy as long as he destroys the world juniors, which im confident he will. Its just kind of weird how he played so well in that 10 minute game, but has barely played since.

23 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Interesting and exciting news: Igor Larionov is appointed as advisor to Roman Rotenberg, the first vice-president of the Russian Hockey Federation. This is official position and Larionov is no longer the agent for hockey players.

His main scope of responsibilities - to monitor and help national junior teams in their development. Larionov said that his first big tournament is going to be the next U20 world junior championship in Czech Rep. This is one of major events in the world hockey for this season. Igor is going to be very busy in next three months watching and monitoring promising young Russian players on both sides of Atlantic ocean. He has a lot of work ahead.

Igor has been offered job with the Russian Hockey Federation many times and finally he has accepted one. I think this is good news for Vasily Podkolzin as well :)

igor-larionov.jpg

Awesome...........Larionov was my favourite part of the Cold War

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pod got 1 shift for 30 seconds in today’s game (his 4th game of the season).

I’m trying NOT to read too much into this,.

but this IS odd,.

he should be getting at least 5 to ten mins a game for the first month of the season at this level of hockey.

This has to improve within 2 months, otherwise his development is hampered.

I realize this is only his 4th game,. But it is strange.

Kid must be about to lose his mind.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I’m trying NOT to read too much into this,.

but this IS odd,.

he should be getting at least 5 to ten mins a game for the first month of the season at this level of hockey.

This has to improve within 2 months, otherwise his development is hampered.

I realize this is only his 4th game,. But it is strange.

Kid must be about to lose his mind.

It's odd for a teenager to get minimal ice time in a top 5 men's pro League to start his career?