The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If a 18 year old kid isn't expected to pay his dues in Russia how do we expect him to pay his dues in the NHL? Listen friends, I want him to play as much as anybody. HE'S 18. He'll be there for 2 years. Let things move organically. He has character out the wazoo. Let him go the Bo Horvat route, prove himself, work his way up the ranks. That's the problem with people today. No patience. I bet y'all the same people that said "pass" to Podkolzin before the draft cause he had a two year KHL contract. People need that instant gratification or have things handed to them immediately. Weird sense of entitlement. That's not how life works. He's an 18 year old on, from what I hear, is a pretty good team. He isn't gonna be gifted the premium ice time nor should he be just given premium ice time. 

Great post. So many think a player is a bust if they don't make an immediate impact in the NHL right after being drafted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Side note: I think the concern over his ice time and usage so far is a bit premature. If by the end of the month things don't look like they will pick up, then it would be cause for concern. If we enter mid to late October and nothing has changed, then something should be done. Pavel Dorofeyev (same draft as Podkolzin) actually played in the KHL last year and he is also being started slow. Dorofeyev is averaging 8:18 TOI and 11.6 shifts per game, whereas Podkolzin is averaging 3:06 per game and 4 shifts per game. Both are being brought up slowly. 

it was kinda forecasted that his ice time will be on the low end, just that no one expected him to play 1 shift.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fanuck said:

It's a bit hypocritical for sure. 

When Podz doesn't play people immediately think it's a motivation for him to get out of his contract.

Yet when a guy like Dahlen doesn't play in the NHL and is moved out of the organization he's given a hard time by some people for not keeping quiet, taking the minutes he was given in Utica, and earning the rest. 

Big picture, I agree completely - give 100% with any minutes you're played, pay your dues, contribute when/where you can. 

Nope, I definitely don’t “immediately” think that he should pack up and leave town. However if these one shift games continue for a prolonged period of time that certainly won’t help his development. Sure it might help build character, but we could sign a half dozen high character guys every free agency if we really wanted to. What I’m more concerned with is his actual on ice development. 

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If a 18 year old kid isn't expected to pay his dues in Russia how do we expect him to pay his dues in the NHL? Listen friends, I want him to play as much as anybody. HE'S 18. He'll be there for 2 years. Let things move organically. He has character out the wazoo. Let him go the Bo Horvat route, prove himself, work his way up the ranks. That's the problem with people today. No patience. I bet y'all the same people that said "pass" to Podkolzin before the draft cause he had a two year KHL contract. People need that instant gratification or have things handed to them immediately. Weird sense of entitlement. That's not how life works. He's an 18 year old on, from what I hear, a pretty good team. He isn't gonna be gifted the premium ice time nor should he be just given premium ice time. 

Bravo sir or bravo person... 

Tip of the hat and a slow clap of respect.  

Side note; Can the pre season start already, the CDC is getting loopy again.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If a 18 year old kid isn't expected to pay his dues in Russia how do we expect him to pay his dues in the NHL? Listen friends, I want him to play as much as anybody. HE'S 18. He'll be there for 2 years. Let things move organically. He has character out the wazoo. Let him go the Bo Horvat route, prove himself, work his way up the ranks. That's the problem with people today. No patience. I bet y'all the same people that said "pass" to Podkolzin before the draft cause he had a two year KHL contract. People need that instant gratification or have things handed to them immediately. Weird sense of entitlement. That's not how life works. He's an 18 year old on, from what I hear, a pretty good team. He isn't gonna be gifted the premium ice time nor should he be just given premium ice time. 

Well said. I think it's more just a shock to see 40 seconds of ice time, tbh. Never see that in NA. I don't think most users here realize they go with 13F, 7D every game (I sure didn't). 

I thought SKA St Petersburg just replaced their coach a month ago and brought in a guy who is more likely to play younger players as he's known for developing younger talent. 

Now Pod is playing 1 min per game.. weird. They should send me him down to the VHL and let the kid play if they don't plan on playing him at least 10 mins a game. 

Only 6 games into season so no need to worry yet but if this continues the kid needs to be sent down and get more toi. 

• Upvote 2