The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

54 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Is his VHL team close to his KHL team? 3 games in 3 nights sounds daunting, but not really when it's a combined like 5 minutes in 2 of those games lol. I guess they're making him do the dance again this season bouncing around everywhere.

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Is his VHL team close to his KHL team? 3 games in 3 nights sounds daunting, but not really when it's a combined like 5 minutes in 2 of those games lol. I guess they're making him do the dance again this season bouncing around everywhere.

He just turned 18, he has to pay his dues. Apparently his team agreed with CDC that he needs more icetime than he was getting in the KHL, so they sent him down for a one game conditioning stint. And then called him back up again because he is good enough to play in the K, just not good enough yet to get much icetime there. At this point in the season and his career, I have no problem at all with his usage.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

He just turned 18, he has to pay his dues. Apparently his team agreed with CDC that he needs more icetime than he was getting in the KHL, so they sent him down for a one game conditioning stint. And then called him back up again because he is good enough to play in the K, just not good enough yet to get much icetime there. At this point in the season and his career, I have no problem at all with his usage.

Alot better than being handed minutes in the CHL.  Having a guy like Podz get the old school treatment should curb entitlement when he gets here.  

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I never understood the purpose of "paying his dues".  Either you're good enough to play regularly or you're not.  

It's like saying Pettersson should "pay his dues", thus he should be playing in the AHL, then playing on the 4th line on a Canucks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I never understood the purpose of "paying his dues".  Either you're good enough to play regularly or you're not.  

It's like saying Pettersson should "pay his dues", thus he should be playing in the AHL, then playing on the 4th line on a Canucks.  

That's a rather simplistic way of looking at it. It is a huge step up from junior to pro hockey in a top men's league like the KHL. Most young players need time to learn to be professionals and to earn their coach's trust, and Pod just turned 18. Referencing Pettersson is not realistic: EP is a rare, elite talent and even so, did pay his dues, playing 2 years professionally before dressing for the Canucks.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/14/2019 at 1:48 PM, 112 said:

13 points in 18 games is impressive as an 18-year-old AHL rookie defenceman- not particularly as a 20-year-old. what would impress me is if he was demonstrating a good game otherwise, which he wasn't.

points is a bad metric for rationalizing that assertion. consensus in the news was that he was not having a good season; salo, the coach who was working with juolevi most closely, even said he was struggling.

I stand corrected.

112, you're very biased against Juolevi so anything you say should definitely be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

It would be impressive if an 18 year old can play in the AHL. However, 18 year olds are NOT eligible in the AHL. Know your facts.

This pretty much sums up why your opinion should be deemed IRRELEVANT.

Lol. 18-year-olds can play in the AHL if they're from Europe, etc.

Edited by 112

4 minutes ago, 112 said:

Lol. 18-year-olds can play in the AHL if they're from Europe, etc.

I stand corrected, but I've read all your posts anyway. You have literally nothing constructive to add to Juolevi. I like how you talked about Salo talking about Juolevi struggling (which is true). He also talked about how Juolevi IMPROVED. Conveniently you've left that out. Conveniently.

You may think you are being objective by providing the negative side of things, but you are also leaving out the positive things by the said source (Salo). That is disingenuous reporting and not at all objective.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I stand corrected, but I've read all your posts anyway. You have literally nothing constructive to add to Juolevi. I like how you talked about Salo talking about Juolevi struggling (which is true). He also talked about how Juolevi IMPROVED. Conveniently you've left that out. Conveniently.

All right. I'm sorry.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

The thing I love about this kid is how engaged he is in every zone and how impactful he is is everytime he's on the ice.

He looks like an absolute workhorse.

The points aren't there yet but they're going to start coming.

hard to criticize a lack of a production when you only get to play 4 minutes... his tenacity looks great though 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That's a rather simplistic way of looking at it. It is a huge step up from junior to pro hockey in a top men's league like the KHL. Most young players need time to learn to be professionals and to earn their coach's trust, and Pod just turned 18. Referencing Pettersson is not realistic: EP is a rare, elite talent and even so, did pay his dues, playing 2 years professionally before dressing for the Canucks.

Being able to get a regular shift is irrelevant to learning to be a pro, unless he's really messing up off-ice and he's being benched to send a message.    

There has been no indication he is doing something poor off-ice... and it seems that he is able to keep up on-ice when he does play... thus there's no reason for him to "pay his dues".  

Pettersson's ice time wasn't curtailed when he was in the SHL.  He was given an opportunity to succeed and he took it.  

Podkolzin doesn't seem like he's given the same opportunity.  Not saying he's going to be a top-line player as a 18 year old... but at least let the kid into the pool to sink or swim.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Being able to get a regular shift is irrelevant to learning to be a pro, unless he's really messing up off-ice and he's being benched to send a message.    

There has been no indication he is doing something poor off-ice... and it seems that he is able to keep up on-ice when he does play... thus there's no reason for him to "pay his dues".  

Pettersson's ice time wasn't curtailed when he was in the SHL.  He was given an opportunity to succeed and he took it.  

Podkolzin doesn't seem like he's given the same opportunity.  Not saying he's going to be a top-line player as a 18 year old... but at least let the kid into the pool to sink or swim.  

Some people feel that it's better to teach kids how to swim one step at a time rather than just throwing them into the deep end and hoping they don't drown.

31 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Some people feel that it's better to teach kids how to swim one step at a time rather than just throwing them into the deep end and hoping they don't drown.

If he was over his head, sure.... except he's not "drowning" when he's in the lineup.  

If Vasily is unable to keep up, then you will know where he is act. 

So far, it seems more like he has got to "pay his dues" because that's how it's always been.  "How it's always been" isn't a reason, that's just an excuse.  

• Thanks 1