The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Its not like he looks lost out there, much like Jake does. Pod is doing all the right things to set himself up for success! Driving to the net, being strong on the puck, getting quality chances (shots, although in a slump rn). The points WILL COME. He looks great and is developing even though some games he might not play much. But in the most recent highlights I watched, he was out there with 6 mins and 2 mins left in the game. Thats a sign the coach is coming around. Much like we saw with Virtanen, didn't play huge minutes but worked his way up to where he was out there late in games, no matter the score. He reminds me of Hansen right now, he's a honey badger out there right now but seems to have stone hands. Not worried tho he's to gifted not to score, Pod will find his way!

It's funny you should mention this, as I was just thinking about how good he would have looked alongside the Sedins.  I don't see his game being much like Jake's as (like Hansen), Podz' an aggressive puck hound with a never ending motor.  He will be terrific playing on a line with teammates that can put the puck in the net.  He is so good at getting the puck into the o-zone and keeping it there.  He already has a solid defensive game and at just 18yrs I think he will develop into a very complete player.  His work ethic and competitive nature is very encouraging.

In time, I can see him being a good match on either Bo's or Pete's line.  Very exciting player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Podkolzin is definitely a playmaker in my opinion more than a shooter. His highest danger moments on the ice are off the rush or great passes in cycle game. Honestly think he will be a force on the top line, and transition into a similar role and style that JT Miller plays. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Podkolzin is definitely a playmaker in my opinion more than a shooter. His highest danger moments on the ice are off the rush or great passes in cycle game. Honestly think he will be a force on the top line, and transition into a similar role and style that JT Miller plays. 

Yeah I'm looking forward to the day that Miller, Horvat and Podkolzin are creating havoc for the opposition! That would be one tough line to contain physically! Podkolzin seems to be getting better and better every game we see from the highlights. Feels like he is going to make huge gains this year. Once he realizes he has a little more time in front of the net and finds a little finesse in his finish, he'll start converting at better rate. 

Right now he kind of looks like Gaudette out there. His awareness, timing and read of the game is still a bit off, so he gets nailed once in a while - just like how Gaudette still gets pushed around when he gets caught watching the play. I think both these players just need to shake off the "rookie in the headlights" presence on the ice with some more experience and they'll be making a bigger difference out there. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeah I'm looking forward to the day that Miller, Horvat and Podkolzin are creating havoc for the opposition! That would be one tough line to contain physically! Podkolzin seems to be getting better and better every game we see from the highlights. Feels like he is going to make huge gains this year. Once he realizes he has a little more time in front of the net and finds a little finesse in his finish, he'll start converting at better rate. 

Right now he kind of looks like Gaudette out there. His awareness, timing and read of the game is still a bit off, so he gets nailed once in a while - just like how Gaudette still gets pushed around when he gets caught watching the play. I think both these players just need to shake off the "rookie in the headlights" presence on the ice with some more experience and they'll be making a bigger difference out there. 

Podz got +++ time on his side as he just turned 18yrs, while Gaud will be 23 in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Full highlights of Podkolzin’s VHL game:

SKA’s VHL and KHL teams are both in Saint Petersburg; their home arenas are just over 10 miles apart. This makes jumping back and forth pretty easy and Podz can practice and earn his ice time with one of KHL’s best teams, but still get big minutes once in a while in the VHL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

SKA’s VHL and KHL teams are both in Saint Petersburg; their home arenas are just over 10 miles apart. This makes jumping back and forth pretty easy and Podz can practice and earn his ice time with one of KHL’s best teams, but still get big minutes once in a while in the VHL. 

Yup, he could end up getting a ton of games in this season between the 2 leagues. IMO it’s a great development plan as they slowly bring him along in the KHL. 

15 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Kinda unique for a prospect development path.  Looking at it from that POV vs stats, Podz is getting superior coaching access, learning from good pro players and coaches.  The KHL is the second best league in the world, most would agree.  

Then he gets to go down and see his efforts working against his own age group.  As the season progresses, Podz will get a shot or two at taking a spot away from someone.  Injuries etc... will happen.  

By then I hope he makes the most of it.  Good odds he does.  The kid is a beast who plays right on the edge.  

Similar to Bo,  just way more likely to get angry and hit back.  

I like that.  His play is aggressive in contact, he goes to the right areas with determination, but has the patient to make a play vs shoot blindly.  

Virtannen will really have to elevate his game to stay above Podz on the depth chart the moment he hits the NHL. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Kinda unique for a prospect development path.  Looking at it from that POV vs stats, Podz is getting superior coaching access, learning from good pro players and coaches.  The KHL is the second best league in the world, most would agree.  

Then he gets to go down and see his efforts working against his own age group.  As the season progresses, Podz will get a shot or two at taking a spot away from someone.  Injuries etc... will happen.  

By then I hope he makes the most of it.  Good odds he does.  The kid is a beast who plays right on the edge.  

Similar to Bo,  just way more likely to get angry and hit back.  

I like that.  His play is aggressive in contact, he goes to the right areas with determination, but has the patient to make a play vs shoot blindly.  

Virtannen will really have to elevate his game to stay above Podz on the depth chart the moment he hits the NHL. 

Well said.  It’s a better developmental path then a year of juniors and then AHL...he’d eat  the juniors alive as he’s already proven in the international stage.      

KHL, SHL, AHL in that order for best leagues outside of the NHL.   AHL used to be the second best but not for some time, too many guys going the college route now and it’s thinned out the talent. Point calculators have the KHL - NHL conversion rates to .75....anyone sleeping on Gusev in their fantasy pools take notice - he looks to be the real deal so far this off-season despite his size.  

Podz will be fine - his floor is very high (Hansen comps as his floor are good ones), and his ceiling is also high - if he works on his shot and skills with the puck (which are already great) - Forsbergs his ceiling.  Probably somewhere in between - the J.T. Miller comps are also good ones.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Sounds like a very sensible development plan to me. Best of both worlds - better than either tons of icetime playing against kids who he dominates, or tiny ice time playing with and against top adult players. Wish we could do that here.

The biggest concern I have if Podkolzin ends up bouncing around leagues consistently and playing a high number of games is his conditioning. I recall reading somewhere that he said he felt a little fatigued after the WJC last year, and that was without the extra games.