The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Nothing about being eased in by playing less than a period of hockey over 5 games

Kind of like bringing up a prospect from Utica so he can play 30 seconds on the fourth and we wonder why he isn't developing (long term) or done anything after 10 games. 

You realize that in in the middle of that series of KHL games listed, last weekend he also played a VHL game to get him some more icetime, right? He played 16 minutes in that game. So in addition to a gradual exposure to a high level adult professional league, he also gets icetime in junior when necessary, which is easy because the junior team is in the same city. Not sure why you have a problem with this.

By the way, I pointed out the progression in his icetime over the course of that series of games. You ignored this and talked about the total. Can you really not see the progression in that series?

You also didn't answer the question, who should the Canucks speak out to about what you feel is this terrible situation?

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

You realize that in in the middle of that series of KHL games listed, last weekend he also played a VHL game to get him some more icetime, right? He played 16 minutes in that game. So in addition to a gradual exposure to a high level adult professional league, he also gets icetime in junior when necessary, which is easy because the junior team is in the same city. Not sure why you have a problem with this.

By the way, I pointed out the progression in his icetime over the course of that series of games. You ignored this and talked about the total. Can you really not see the progression in that series?

You also didn't answer the question, who should the Canucks speak out to about what you feel is this terrible situation?

"progression" as he goes from 10 minutes to 30 seconds

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

That's what you saw in his last 5 games? Maybe look a little closer. And maybe think a bit more before ranting.

"progression"

Playing 30 and 40 seconds. Okay then. Then two minutes. Like assigning a Utica or major junior prospect to the fourth line so he can open the door for 59:30 of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

"progression"

Playing 30 and 40 seconds. Okay then. Then two minutes. Like assigning a Utica or major junior prospect to the fourth line so he can open the door for 59:30 of the game. 

You really don't like to answer questions or address facts, do you?

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

He just turned 18, 6'1", 196lbs playing against fully grown men in a tough league. 2 years from now when his KHL contract is up, he'll probably be 6'3" 210lbs +. Kids got a ton of battle. Can't wait to see him in 'Nucks colours.

growing 2 inches after 18? idk

37 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The only problem I see with this situation is that it must be difficult for Podz to get used to the various linemates and team systems.  It seems like they don't know which level is best for him yet, so are making his transition to KHL more gradual.  I think it's a good sign that he had +9min in his last game and hopefully is almost ready to find his place on the team.

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I know a guy who grew 6 inches when he was 18.  It can happen.  There are some people who are saying Pettersson grew over the summer, not only in weight but in height.  He does look taller.  I wouldn't doubt it that he's 6'3" now...

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Highly unlikely to grow that much but it could happen. Just our very own Chris Tanev went undrafted many times because he was too small. At 18 he started a growth spurt and over the course of 2 years grew like 8-10 inches. 

oh it's definitely possible- just not that likely :p

in the interests of optimism, i'll bet you all he grows another inch, though

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Seriously? His last 5 games he has played:

game 4 - 0:30 - 1 shift

game 5 - 1:08 - 2 shifts

game 6 - 2:45 - 4 shifts

game 7 - 4:00 - 7 shifts

game 8 - 9:10 - 14 shifts

as this teenager is being eased into playing at a professional level against men, the way his coach wants him to play. And you really see some problem with that progression?

And if you do, just who exactly should the Canucks be "speaking out" to about this? The team who has him under contract and has the right to utilize and develop him as they choose?

CALL THE RUSSIAN PRESIDENT.......(when he gets his shirt on)!

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

6'1 at 196lbs is mighty big for a guy that just turned 18.  If he were playing in a Jr league, he would look huge, but he is playing on a team with the average of 27yrs.

Sure is. That's why i was expecting to see someone who looked close to Virtanen in size. In that video he looks 5' 11"  175 lbs. Two inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter than Jake would be my guess.

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Except Alf never said that...  "Podz is going to come into our team just when we need him to replace guys like Baer."

Right. He alluded to it.

6 minutes ago, Tollbooth said:

Sure is. That's why i was expecting to see someone who looked close to Virtanen in size. In that video he looks 5' 11"  175 lbs. Two inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter than Jake would be my guess.

Right. He alluded to it.

Podz will replace guys like Baer.  It could Pearson he replaces too.  Podz will absolutely be in our top 9 in two years, and he will be a huge upgrade on guys like Baer or Pearson.  

16 minutes ago, Tollbooth said:

LOL your watching a video to determine a players height and weight?  The khl roster has him at 6'1" and 196 lbs. 

16 minutes ago, Tollbooth said:

Right. He alluded to it.

No he didn't.