The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

In the NHL that's an assist for sure. 

As far as I'm concerned he's a definite top 9 NHLer. Whether the production will be there or not is the only debate, he's got the worth ethic & skill to help a winning NHL hockey team. I'm really excited for this kid to come to NA, his work ethic is incredible especially for his age. Can't remember the last bulldog-like player with his talent level. 

On 10/8/2019 at 12:25 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Can you imagine if Pod actually developed into a Mark Stone caliber player? That’d be the kind of addition to the young core that could put this team over the top.

Exactly the type of addition we’ll need at the time too. In 2 years we’ll have 3 rock solid young centres, a high end offensive defence man and one 30+ sniper. The hard to get parts are there. A tenacious skilled Russian winger will be just what the doctor ordered. If he hits the ground running and we got a goalie, we’ll beat the wheels off the pacific.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Can you imagine if Pod actually developed into a Mark Stone caliber player? That’d be the kind of addition to the young core that could put this team over the top.

I admittedly haven't watched a ton of podkolzin, but from the clips I've seen and the analysis of his game i've read, the player that sprung immediately to mind for me was marian hossa. does that seem realistic in your mind?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

I admittedly haven't watched a ton of podkolzin, but from the clips I've seen and the analysis of his game i've read, the player that sprung immediately to mind for me was marian hossa. does that seem realistic in your mind?

Podz is a lot like Hossa for his hounding of the play, and offensive skills, but Podz has a meanness to him that Hossa didn't.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 12:25 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd actually prefer a Hossa.

Almost PPG in the regular season, .75 pig in the playoffs, won 3 cups with Chicago but was a huge piece of a Pittsburgh team going to the finals and a year later a Detroit team and then retired to help the hawks out due to a rash.

Good guy

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Almost PPG in the regular season, .75 pig in the playoffs, won 3 cups with Chicago but was a huge piece of a Pittsburgh team going to the finals and a year later a Detroit team and then retired to help the hawks out due to a rash.

Good guy

Honestly, either one (a Stone or a Hossa) would be an absolute dream result. I loved watching Big Hoss play during his prime, and I’m extremely high on Mark Stone today. I’m not saying Podkolzin is in that category of player (yet) but in terms of pure ceiling, he certainly has the potential to become something very special. Again, the Stone thing wasn’t really a comparison I was trying to push right now, but just replied to another post that dropped the name, and salivated over the idea of us adding that type of player to our current group.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Podz is a lot like Hossa for his hounding of the play, and offensive skills, but Podz has a meanness to him that Hossa didn't.  

When I watch his highlights he reminds me of Stan Smyl, he never quits, seems like he's everywhere 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, Warhippy said:

Good guy

I like the Hossa comparable.  Hossa was a brilliant 2 way player and Quenville was quoted that his best player was Hossa during the peak of his tenure in Chi town.  

Podz does the things that many skilled players leave for others.  

That ethic along with his IQ, skill and physical abilities is why he will be a dominant player for us.  

Look at Bo, look at Miller.  Podz is in the same mold, but could very well be the best of the 3 when he has transitioned to NA.  

Podz has the internal fortitude that we wish Virtannen had.  Put both in a corner, Podz is coming out with the puck 9 out 10 times.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 12:54 PM, Alflives said:

He doesn't have a history of faking injuries like Hossa did either.  A guy of  Hossa's caliber who doesn't flop to the ice at the first hint of contact is going to be a hell of a player.

• Wat 1