The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I agree 100%.  Many top prospects play outside of the NHL for 2 years after the draft.  I really don't think teams shied away from him for that reason, it was because he didn't produce enough to take a risk on him with a top 5 pick.     

So we should send a thank you card to the KHL for bouncing him over what? 3 leagues....:bigblush:

just so we could draft him. 

Also I think the KHL played a lil part cause teams want a least a lil bit of control of their prospects , we don't have any control of how VP develops. 

24 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So we should send a thank you card to the KHL for bouncing him over what? 3 leagues....:bigblush:

Also I think the KHL played a lil part cause teams want a least a lil bit of control of their prospects , we don't have any control of how VP develops. 

This^. Not having some control or even the ability to advise teams as to how to place and utilize their players is a major drawback. Especially considering how high of a pick Pods was.

Podz for Calder though, 2021-22!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

This^. Not having some control or even the ability to advise teams as to how to place and utilize their players is a major drawback. Especially considering how high of a pick Pods was.

Podz for Calder though, 2021-22!

We don't really have any control over how our draft picks develop, whether it's in college, the CHL, or in Europe.  We only gain control when the prospect is in Utica.  That's why I love this Podz pick.  He's a guy who is clearly internally motivated to be the best he can.  That means (at minimum) a super effective top 9 player for us.  

I totally agree he will be in the Calder discussion, when he does play.  Although, do playoff games count in the Calder qualification?  I could see Podz coming over in the spring of 2021, playing 10 to 15 regular season games, and then getting 20 playoff games.  That could be 30 games played before his full rookie season.  

On 10/27/2019 at 1:29 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

this might have been shared, incase it's been buried, here are all his goals in his draft year.

I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but the goals he's scored in these highlights can be a solid indicator of how he will get his points in the NHL.  deking driving the net, etc etc.  how can this guy not remind you of Bo Horvat?  Vasily "Pot goals in" is going to make some teams who drafted ahead of us regret for not taking him.  

Nice video thanks.

Jake should be studying this (imo); maybe Bo and the rest of the forwards too, so they can see what Podkolzin does when he comes flying down the wing and cuts to the net.

When the defender is behind him, he lets the puck float to where he wants it, cuts into the defender and lifts his stick, quickly returning his stick to the puck, he rips it. 

When the defender is in front of him (i.e. closer to the net), he cuts back a bit, lets the defender continue towards the net, and rips it.

He protects the puck so well, and knows what he is going to do with it while watching the defense adjust.

Kids a beauty!  Maybe a bigger, better Bo (but we will see).

I think it would really help Jake if he could get learn this technique; he's already got a great wrister.

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Chicago has no control with Dach (3rd OA), Colorado has no control over Byram (4th OA) and Buffalo has no control over Cozens (7th OA) for more than 9 games for 2 years in a vastly inferior league. At the end of the day, team's take who they feel is the best player available and Podkolzin just wasn't it for the 9 teams ahead of us in 2019.

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Chicago has no control with Dach (3rd OA), Colorado has no control over Byram (4th OA) and Buffalo has no control over Cozens (7th OA) for more than 9 games for 2 years in a vastly inferior league. At the end of the day, team's take who they feel is the best player available and Podkolzin just wasn't it for the 9 teams ahead of us in 2019.

Your missing the part where you can't even come to training camp when you under contract.

before you say ncaa players don't come either .....they don't have to get use to a smaller rink.....

also if an ncaa player wants to op out he can go to the chl, the player is in control not the team......I can't think of a prospect that has played in three leagues in their draft year can you? So now you see why people say the KHL is gamble, also why I think he fell cause he bounced around more then tanevs teeth.....

also look at what he has done on NA ice so far and that screams talent.

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I am certain this video might have been posted earlier, that said if so I will post this again.

this is probably one of the best break downs available.... well.... on YouTube... he is pretty much giving an honest opinion based on 7 games he was able to catch on tv I believe.  He is up right honest, no bull, and nothing more.  

Despite his conclusion of this pick, after this video I am actually even more excited for this pick.  He wasn't to fond of his lack of play making, and some agility will make him better.  He points out that he is a straight line player, I personally think there is a good and a bad to what PotGoalsIn can do, check it out from the beginning boys I tell you this video is more worth it then the other one I posted.

anyways, from what gather, he sounds like a another bo Horvat in the sense, that Podkolzin never quite and is a relentless forechecker if the puck is not in his teams possession.  anyways I can't wait for him to actually get here, I am ok with the 2nd line label, because he is going to be a wrecking machine for us in our top 6.  I can very much see why he was a top 10 pick, also news that Philly waited for us to make our pick, because there were rumors that Philly wanted Podkozin also, and if he was not there they would trade down, which they did. 

Been a fan of scouching.  You really want a happy canucks drafting moment, watch the Ethan Keppen pre draft clip.  It will have you very excited about our last draft.  

Scouching is one of the best armchair scouts IMO.  He is undersold on Podz, I dont care.  When looking at our forward depth moving forward I see Podz, Hogz and Keppen all being NHLers.  

The role Podz will have in Vancouver is waiting.  Only Jake can beat Podz to it.  We need that true power forward with an edge.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Your missing the part where you can't even come to training camp when you under contract.

before you say ncaa players don't come either .....they don't have to get use to a smaller rink.....

also if an ncaa player wants to op out he can go to the chl, the player is in control not the team......I can't think of a prospect that has played in three leagues in their draft year can you? So now you see why people say the KHL is gamble, also why I think he fell cause he bounced around more then tanevs teeth.....

also look at what he has done on NA ice so far and that screams talent.

I'm sure the Devils would have made a different decision with Ty Smith this year than sending him back down to the WHL if they could. Same with Colorado and Byram, Buffalo and Cozens, us and Virtanen a while ago. Going to camp doesn't change a whole lot for most guys. 

I'm pretty sure every CHL player could move on from the league at any point if they choose to. There were rumours at the start of the year that LaFrieniere was looking to sign with a team in Europe to play at a higher level of competition, but that obviously didn't go through. 

Kravtsov technically played in 3 leagues in his draft year, although he only played one game in the MHL where he had 3 points. Then again, Podkolzin only played a total of 3 minutes or something in the KHL in his draft year, so pretty much the same thing. I would think that having a considerably lower offensive output over other recent Russian 1st rounders who played in the same leagues in their draft years had the biggest impact in his perceived "falling" in the standings. 

21 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm sure the Devils would have made a different decision with Ty Smith this year than sending him back down to the WHL if they could. Same with Colorado and Byram, Buffalo and Cozens, us and Virtanen a while ago. Going to camp doesn't change a whole lot for most guys. 

I'm pretty sure every CHL player could move on from the league at any point if they choose to. There were rumours at the start of the year that LaFrieniere was looking to sign with a team in Europe to play at a higher level of competition, but that obviously didn't go through. 

Kravtsov technically played in 3 leagues in his draft year, although he only played one game in the MHL where he had 3 points. Then again, Podkolzin only played a total of 3 minutes or something in the KHL in his draft year, so pretty much the same thing. I would think that having a considerably lower offensive output over other recent Russian 1st rounders who played in the same leagues in their draft years had the biggest impact in his perceived "falling" in the standings. 

The devils have a choice though....keep smith in the nhl or send him back to the whl....that sounds like a choice to me.....is it the best choice no but the team can atleast see where smith is at and have two choices to make and with VP we get no choice...

like I said I think the KHL contract might have factored in a lil bit. 

I think if he played in the chl or ncaa he would have been a top five pick easy. 

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

The devils have a choice though....keep smith in the nhl or send him back to the whl....that sounds like a choice to me.....is it the best choice no but the team can atleast see where smith is at and have two choices to make and with VP we get no choice...

like I said I think the KHL contract might have factored in a lil bit. 

I think if he played in the chl or ncaa he would have been a top five pick easy. 

Training camp viewings and the choice to keep him are more than we have with Podkolzin right now, but Benning himself said he expected our pick to need 2 years of development (at least) anyway. 

Again, he had the lowest regular season offensive output by a Russian 1st rounder who played in the MHL or VHL (again, not factoring KHL games because he only got like 3 minutes over 3 games). That is something that catches people's attention. There's reason why he dropped in a lot of rankings as the year went on; he just didn't show enough over the full year production wise. 

I would actually argue that playing in Russia as opposed to the CHL or NCAA helped him. If his offensive output in the CHL was comparable to his output in the MHL (the two leagues are pretty close in terms of equivalency numbers), there would have been more people who noticed it and talked about it. Some rough calculations estimate that Podkolzin would have scored around 47 points in 70 games in the WHL in his draft year. That number would be the lowest point total by a top 10 drafted forward (who didn't miss significant time) of the last decade by a significant margin. Virtanen, our own low IQ power forward, put up 71 points in 71 games in the WHL. It's not a perfect indication, but it gives a general sense of how much his offense dried up relative to expectations. 

Podkolzin had an electric Hlinka-Gretzky tournament at the start of the year in where he had 8 goals in 5 games, lead the tournament in goals and was tied for the tournament lead in points. Everyone got a good look at him there playing in North America and that's when he catapulted into the top 3 conversation. After that, his offence dried up, but not many people actually paid any attention to that because he had vanished back to Russia. 

A lot of people just blindly repeat "Podkolzin is a top 3 talent!!!" or something along those lines and then cite outdated and irrelevant sources. Draft rankings from October don't mean much at all when draft rankings from June are available. By that same logic, the Leafs got a top 3 talent in Liljegren at 17th overall because he was ranked in the top 3 in September. Arizona got a top 3 talent with Chychrun at 16th overall because he was ranked in the top 3 in September. See how that sounds a little ridiculous?

A lot can change in a year.

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 2

On 10/29/2019 at 6:04 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Training camp viewings and the choice to keep him are more than we have with Podkolzin right now, but Benning himself said he expected our pick to need 2 years of development (at least) anyway. 

Again, he had the lowest regular season offensive output by a Russian 1st rounder who played in the MHL or VHL (again, not factoring KHL games because he only got like 3 minutes over 3 games). That is something that catches people's attention. There's reason why he dropped in a lot of rankings as the year went on; he just didn't show enough over the full year production wise. 

I would actually argue that playing in Russia as opposed to the CHL or NCAA helped him. If his offensive output in the CHL was comparable to his output in the MHL (the two leagues are pretty close in terms of equivalency numbers), there would have been more people who noticed it and talked about it. Some rough calculations estimate that Podkolzin would have scored around 47 points in 70 games in the WHL in his draft year. That number would be the lowest point total by a top 10 drafted forward (who didn't miss significant time) of the last decade by a significant margin. Virtanen, our own low IQ power forward, put up 71 points in 71 games in the WHL. It's not a perfect indication, but it gives a general sense of how much his offense dried up relative to expectations. 

Podkolzin had an electric Hlinka-Gretzky tournament at the start of the year in where he had 8 goals in 5 games, lead the tournament in goals and was tied for the tournament lead in points. Everyone got a good look at him there playing in North America and that's when he catapulted into the top 3 conversation. After that, his offence dried up, but not many people actually paid any attention to that because he had vanished back to Russia. 

A lot of people just blindly repeat "Podkolzin is a top 3 talent!!!" or something along those lines and then cite outdated and irrelevant sources. Draft rankings from October don't mean much at all when draft rankings from June are available. By that same logic, the Leafs got a top 3 talent in Liljegren at 17th overall because he was ranked in the top 3 in September. Arizona got a top 3 talent with Chychrun at 16th overall because he was ranked in the top 3 in September. See how that sounds a little ridiculous?

A lot can change in a year.

I would argue that the Russian Ice Hockey Federation thinks Podkolzin is pretty special, and have made many decisions based on what they think is best for him. I believe that

when he plays in their junior leagues, he dominates, and when he plays in the VHL, he is a above average player. I also would say, in all his world tournaments, he has been a  very dominate force, and when playing against Canada, has shown well.

I think it is very foolish to look at Podkolzin's 2019-2020 season, having not played on one team with regular line-mates, nor having the chance to consistently play with one team

and gauge him with anything but admiration. I personally believe he will be a force, maybe not in the traditional elite type way, but more of a Marchand light way, But, I will say this to my bold prediction or anyone else's……...let's just wait until he grows up and settles into one team. Then whether he is a weak or strong player, we will be able to gauge him better...……...if he turns out to be a Gallagher or Marchand light...……….I would be pretty stoked with that.

I am looking forward to the U20's...…….that will be interesting

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Something to consider

Q. Hughes at 18 had 3 points at the world juniors

Podkolkin  at 17 had 3 points at the world juniors

Totally agree, that they are different positions, but Podkolzin was 6 months from being 16 years old

And Quinn is proving to be elite......

This and next years world will be fun to watch having a pony in the race...…..

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Something to consider

Q. Hughes at 18 had 3 points at the world juniors

Podkolkin  at 17 had 3 points at the world juniors

Totally agree, that they are different positions, but Podkolzin was 6 months from being 16 years old

And Quinn is proving to be elite......

This and next years world will be fun to watch having a pony in the race...…..

Its a long way to the NHL, but excited about this kid. Glad he's staying over there for a couple more years, considering fans are already setting unrealistic expectations of him dominating the KHL at the age of 18.

• Cheers 1

Podkolzin is an 18 year old playing for one of the best organizations in the KHL.  He actually played games (3) as a 17 year old.  They are known for their player development and competitive culture.  He is the youngest player on the team.  It may not be ideal, but by their willingness to shuttle him between their 3 leagues (teams) I think they are trying to help his development.  It would be like a 17/18 year old playing in the AHL.  He is playing against men already.  I am not worried about his development but I am also not expecting him to be an impact player for at least 2-3 years like any other 18 year old.  They recognize and develop good players it seems.

image.png.273a34392407f72a3aca890bd71e8785.png

image.thumb.png.e2566c58eaf339a985b76ed04efb1697.png

Edited by Borvat

Podkolzin with short interview in the training camp before the CIBC superseries in Canada: https://fhr.ru/news/item/62710/

"Am I ready to be the team leader? I am ready. I have gained invaluable experience in the last world junior championship. My emotions, enthusiasm - I have learned a lot. I think that I am going to be more confident this time.

I am happy to be called up to the national team. This does not matter where to play: in Canada or Finland. Excellent that Russia can make two strong teams. 

I have already played against many players from the Canadian junior leagues in the world junior championship and before that in the younger junior tournaments. But this year I has been mostly following Russians playing in Canada".

pod1.jpg

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/31/2019 at 4:39 AM, Borvat said:

Podkolzin is an 18 year old playing for one of the best organizations in the KHL.  He actually played games (3) as a 17 year old.  They are known for their player development and competitive culture.  He is the youngest player on the team.  It may not be ideal, but by their willingness to shuttle him between their 3 leagues (teams) I think they are trying to help his development.  It would be like a 17/18 year old playing in the AHL.  He is playing against men already.  I am not worried about his development but I am also not expecting him to be an impact player for at least 2-3 years like any other 18 year old.  They recognize and develop good players it seems.

image.png.273a34392407f72a3aca890bd71e8785.png

image.thumb.png.e2566c58eaf339a985b76ed04efb1697.png

Holy $&!# 45 wins 5 regulation losses.....