The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Bob Gainey was never a big scorer but Montreal picked him first round in 73 or 74. He was an elite defensive forward, became captain of the Canadiens and if I remember correctly, the Russian coach said he was the best player (ahead of Lafleur, Lemaire, Shutt, Robinson, etc) in that Canadiens vs Russia New Year Eve's match.  I see Podz as a Gainey/Burrows hybrid.

And he was also current asst coach Doug Jarvis' partner-in-crime.

No doubt an astute pick by a team that was absolutely and otherwise loaded and had proved it, and would further prove it, for the rest of that decade. I'm not so sure they would have had the luxury of that pick had they missed the playoffs 4 of the previous 5 years and were just beginning to ice a team that was becoming consistently competitive. 

Who knows. Maybe the timing will be just right in this case. Maybe the comparisons to Gainey or Burrows or Landeskog will pan out. If so, this might go down as JB's most forward thinking selection ever.

In the meantime I can observe and be truly encouraged by this player's on ice demeanor and I will project, with the rest of you, into the future when this kid is flying up and down the ice doggedly in pursuit of the puck.

I'd just like to see that puck, from time to time, propelled from his stick and into the back of the net.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Watching Podz play tonight against the OHL.  He’s on the Russian first into PK, and is really smart in his position and has a great stick.  Five on five he’s exciting to watch.  He’s great in transition to offence, while being a dog on loose pucks.  Guy is really good.  His motor never stops.  

Russian Bo Horvat.

• Cheers 2

On 11/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Still what was Boston thinking lol. It was the fact that they had 3 consecutive picks in the first round and the clear BPA was Barzal and then Connor. I won’t fault them for Chabot because I believe the dman they did take at the draft was ranked slightly ahead. Going consensus BPA they should have walked away with Barzal, Connor and Zboril.

Pastrnak more than makes up for the Barzal and Connor loss unfortunately

43 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

to be honest it really doesn't since Boston could have had any 3 of Barzal,Connor, Boeser and Chabot, and they came out with zero.

. but you win some and lose some.  

Thank you HGawds that they didn't land a couple more beauts in that botched draft. They'll be aging/raging soon...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Russian Bo Horvat.

Horvat is first player that comes to mind for me as well. Horvat has above average skill but elite work ethic and a as long as Podz keeps his motor always running he will find a way to get his points just like Bo, they might not always be pretty but they will count all the same.

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I don't know where to put this... but... 

Till this day I still rather have Zegras over both Hog and Pod. Anyone else agree? IF  we miss playoffs this coming season lets hope we have  some luck. :towel:

Development wise yeah,  I like what I see from Putgoalsin but I hate this 2year contract bs and playing in 3 different leagues.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Development wise yeah,  I like what I see from Putgoalsin but I hate this 2year contract bs and playing in 3 different leagues.  

I heard that in the Russia / CHL series, Podkolsin is showing well in every way but putting the puck in the net.  

22 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I don't know where to put this... but... 

Till this day I still rather have Zegras over both Hog and Pod. Anyone else agree? IF  we miss playoffs this coming season lets hope we have  some luck. :towel:

After watching Hogs recent selfish me me stuff for certain I’d take Zegrass over Hogs.  However IMO Podkolzin is the best player in his draft.  He’s not a fancy player, but he’s a super effective player.  

On November 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Still what was Boston thinking lol. It was the fact that they had 3 consecutive picks in the first round and the clear BPA was Barzal and then Connor. I won’t fault them for Chabot because I believe the dman they did take at the draft was ranked slightly ahead. Going consensus BPA they should have walked away with Barzal, Connor and Zboril.

Ha a Canucks fan bashing a team that drafted two players I would happily take Debrusk(which embodies Boston style of play) Zboril is another guy that plays with an edge....so they missed on one pick...

also Debrusk was worth his weight in gold in playoffs and remind me again how far has Brazal and Connor made it in the playoffs? 

Canucks could use a player like Debrusk and I wouldn't turn down a d man like Zboril. 

You don't build a cup final team by just taking skill guys or bpa.....or the oilers wouldn't suck ha 

also look at the pasted couple times van has had two first round picks....Bo and hunter....where's hunter now?

jake and Jared and I think we all see how those two are doing....

if you want to laugh Canucks passed on Myers and karlsson to take hodgson......:picard:

• Wat 1

55 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha a Canucks fan bashing a team that drafted two players I would happily take Debrusk(which embodies Boston style of play) Zboril is another guy that plays with an edge....so they missed on one pick...

also Debrusk was worth his weight in gold in playoffs and remind me again how far has Brazal and Connor made it in the playoffs? 

Canucks could use a player like Debrusk and I wouldn't turn down a d man like Zboril. 

You don't build a cup final team by just taking skill guys or bpa.....or the oilers wouldn't suck ha 

also look at the pasted couple times van has had two first round picks....Bo and hunter....where's hunter now?

jake and Jared and I think we all see how those two are doing....

if you want to laugh Canucks passed on Myers and karlsson to take hodgson......:picard:

Right...You know more than all the scouts i suppose and had those two ranked higher?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

After watching Hogs recent selfish me me stuff for certain I’d take Zegrass over Hogs.  However IMO Podkolzin is the best player in his draft.  He’s not a fancy player, but he’s a super effective player.  

What selfish me stuff do you see out of Hogs?