1 hour ago, Alflives said:

After watching Hogs recent selfish me me stuff for certain I’d take Zegrass over Hogs.  However IMO Podkolzin is the best player in his draft.  He’s not a fancy player, but he’s a super effective player.  

What selfish me stuff do you see out of Hogs?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

After watching Hogs recent selfish me me stuff for certain I’d take Zegrass over Hogs.  However IMO Podkolzin is the best player in his draft.  He’s not a fancy player, but he’s a super effective player.  

This is so dumb. Posters always want skill and when a prospect finally displays some...posters crap on it by making stuff up like they are selfish.  So dumb....:picard:

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

How did Podkolzin look?

Any dangerous rushes?

Dude must be tired after all the playing and bouncing around he’s done lately.

47 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Right...You know more than all the scouts i suppose and had those two ranked higher?

Well Myers was ranked 11th or 12 in that draft so it wouldnt have been a stretch to draft Myers....

a big right handed d man.....hmmmm I swear I've heard almost ever Gm since nonis go on and say their looking for a right handed puck moving d man....hmmmm

Also during the nonis and gillis years I probably could have drafted better ha or atleast in the first round ha. 

Ive  liked Myers since the first time I saw him play against the Brandon wheat kings, so yes I had Myers higher. 

But you see that's why I don't mock other teams drafting cause the Canucks have been so bad over the years....

sorry about the video only one I could find on YouTube 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5rS-bP0KPnU

On 11/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Bob Gainey was never a big scorer but Montreal picked him first round in 73 or 74. He was an elite defensive forward, became captain of the Canadiens and if I remember correctly, the Russian coach said he was the best player (ahead of Lafleur, Lemaire, Shutt, Robinson, etc) in that Canadiens vs Russia New Year Eve's match.  I see Podz as a Gainey/Burrows hybrid.

And he was also current asst coach Doug Jarvis' partner-in-crime.

Actually, I believe the Russian coach (Viktor Tikhonov) called Gainey the best hockey player in the world and not just the best player in that great New Years' Eve game.

For those that didn't see Gainey play I can tell you that he was an extremely powerful skater, very physical, relentless in hunting down the puck and an extremely high hockey IQ.......I hated him! If Pods can come anywhere close to him then JB has hit another home run.

Gainey never scored more than 23 goals or 47 points in a single season, yet the Russians once called him the greatest player in the world.

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007/04/bob-gainey.html

On 6/22/2019 at 8:35 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Looking at recent Canadian forwards that were drafted with high picks, it's kind of baffling how many don't turn out. They obviously have one of the best development programs in the world, but alot of their highly ranked forwards don't pan out.

Notable Canadian forwards drafted with high picks:

Sam Bennett

Michael Dal Colle

Ryan Strome

Scott Glennie

Kyle Beach

Why would this be?

Perhaps because prospects just bust sometimes. 

Sad part about Sam Bennett though is if you google his name he's not even the first result.

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha a Canucks fan bashing a team that drafted two players I would happily take Debrusk(which embodies Boston style of play) Zboril is another guy that plays with an edge....so they missed on one pick...

also Debrusk was worth his weight in gold in playoffs and remind me again how far has Brazal and Connor made it in the playoffs? 

Canucks could use a player like Debrusk and I wouldn't turn down a d man like Zboril. 

You don't build a cup final team by just taking skill guys or bpa.....or the oilers wouldn't suck ha 

also look at the pasted couple times van has had two first round picks....Bo and hunter....where's hunter now?

jake and Jared and I think we all see how those two are doing....

if you want to laugh Canucks passed on Myers and karlsson to take hodgson......:picard:

Yeah Debrusk was a decent pick for Boston, but Zboril hasn't yet proved himself to be an NHL player.  So far, Senyshyn hasn't

shown much either.  On the other hand, Jake was drafted the year before and is in his 4th season in the NHL. 

McCaan is 4th in scoring for the Pens and is also in his 4th season.  I would say that they are working out well for their respective teams.

For the most part, the draft is a crap shoot, so it's easy to pick a prospect who may not become the player that the scouts thought he would be.  Being only 18 yrs old, it can be difficult to make that kind of projection.  Happens to all the NHL teams now and Vancouver certainly have had their share of mistakes.  More recently it's looking like they have turned the corner and are making better decisions.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Well Myers was ranked 11th or 12 in that draft so it wouldnt have been a stretch to draft Myers....

a big right handed d man.....hmmmm I swear I've heard almost ever Gm since nonis go on and say their looking for a right handed puck moving d man....hmmmm

Also during the nonis and gillis years I probably could have drafted better ha or atleast in the first round ha. 

Ive  liked Myers since the first time I saw him play against the Brandon wheat kings, so yes I had Myers higher. 

But you see that's why I don't mock other teams drafting cause the Canucks have been so bad over the years....

sorry about the video only one I could find on YouTube 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5rS-bP0KPnU

Mock draft results
2008: Kyle Beach (0 NHL POINTS) vs Hodgson (142 NHL POINTS)
2009: Tim Erixon (14 NHL Points) vs Schroeder (42 NHL POINTS)
2011: Vladislav Namestnikov (169 NHL POINTS) vs Jensen (6 NHL POINTS)
2012: Scott Laughton (82 NHL POINTS) vs Brendan Gaunce (15 NHL POINTS)
2013: Elias Lindholm (283 NHL POINTS) / Frederik Gauthier (23 NHL POINTS) vs Bo Horvat (236 NHL POINTS) / Hunter Shinkaruk (4 NHL POINTS)

571 points vs 445 points

However, mock drafts are a bit irrelevant given many of the players were picked earlier etc. 

Looking at the picks from all of those years, the total points from the next player selected is 377.  The list is Kyle Beach, Tim Erixon, Rickard Rackell, Henrik Samuelsson,     Valeri Nichushkin, Michael McCarron. 

Benning's picks vs next player taken:

2014: Virtanen (67 NHL POINTS) / McCann (99 NHL POINTS) vs Fluery (13 NHL POINTS) / Pastrnak (315 NHL POINTS)
2015: Boeser (135 NHL POINTS) vs Konecny (143 NHL POINTS)
2016: Juolevi (0 NHL POINTS) vs Tkachuk (193 NHL POINTS)
2017: Pettersson (89 NHL POINTS) vs Glass (7 NHL POINTS)
2018: Hughes (15 NHL POINTS) vs Boqvist (1 NHL POINT)

405 points vs 672 points. 

Goes to show how important draft year and draft position are! 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah Debrusk was a decent pick for Boston, but Zboril hasn't yet proved himself to be an NHL player.  So far, Senyshyn hasn't

shown much either.  On the other hand, Jake was drafted the year before and is in his 4th season in the NHL. 

McCaan is 4th in scoring for the Pens and is also in his 4th season.  I would say that they are working out well for their respective teams.

For the most part, the draft is a crap shoot, so it's easy to pick a prospect who may not become the player that the scouts thought he would be.  Being only 18 yrs old, it can be difficult to make that kind of projection.  Happens to all the NHL teams now and Vancouver certainly have had their share of mistakes.  More recently it's looking like they have turned the corner and are making better decisions.

That's why I don't see the point in laughing or mocking Boston for their three picks....

funny thing is Boston missed out but still managed to make it to another final. Good drafting can make up for some of gambles. 

Also don't get me wrong I'm a big Jake fan but I kinda expected more and same for Jared. 

Also most GMs will say in the first round , you walk out with a top four d man or a top six winger and Jake is a third liner( wish Green would leave him with Bo for ten games to test the waters but) Jared stats you have to take with a grain of salt , look at who his playing with... So two technically third liners...that could still turn into top six guys. 

Your right though with Jim our drafting is finally back on track and so happy for it. 

Could you picture Jim with three first round picks? 

Maybe one day ha 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

I watched him play tonight. He was very engaged and he appears to think the game at a high level which is important. His first few steps need a lot of work. At times he looked like the slowest skater out there especially when playing defence. A couple more seasons of development should help his skating and leg strength a lot. Hopefully he can get a full season in a pro league like the KHL or AHL. 

Once he starts moving a lot faster out there he will be a force. I still don't see him as an offensive player. I think Bo Horvat could be a good comparable 

Edited by kenhodgejr

46 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I'm getting an Irish Cyclist 

do you follow cycling at all?

It may have to do with google tailoring your search results based on your search history. the hockey player is the only results i get for at least the whole first page 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

How did Podkolzin look?

Any dangerous rushes?

Dude must be tired after all the playing and bouncing around he’s done lately.

I real like the way he plays, but this deployment In Russia  looks cancerous.

Gotta think all the odd travel has taken a toll on him practicing.

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I real like the way he plays, but this deployment In Russia  looks cancerous.

Gotta think all the odd travel has taken a toll on him practicing.

All the odd travel - you mean all those half-hour trips across town? Yeah, I guess those could take quite a toll. Would be like a Canuck living waaaay out in the wilds of Burnaby, Richmond or North Vancouver. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I watched him play tonight. He was very engaged and he appears to think the game at a high level which is important. His first few steps need a lot of work. At times he looked like the slowest skater out there especially when playing defence. A couple more seasons of development should help his skating and leg strength a lot. Hopefully he can get a full season in a pro league like the KHL or AHL. 

Once he starts moving a lot faster out there he will be a force. I still don't see him as an offensive player. I think Bo Horvat could be a good comparable 

interesting, watched as well I didn't think he was slow :lol:. Eye test eh?

One thing i liked is he's rarely out of position and I love his engagement level. He was involved in everything, forcing penalties, killing penalties, PP time, kids being used all over. He seems like a kid with a lot of awareness and he's just 18. When he's 22-23 and fully developed strength-wise, yikes. 

I do agree tho he looks to be developing into a solid 2-way player. If he can develop a better scoring touch he's going to be a beast, but right now he looks to be developing into a solid guy for us. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Werent there similar concerns with Brady Tkachuk after his year at Boston U?  (Lack of speed, Lack of goal scoring etc) I was wondering why BT was ranked so high by scouts in light of the fact that he wasnt exactly lighting up the goal lamp at BU (he ended up with 8 goals and wasnt even top 3 in scoring...yeah he was a rookie) Then if you watched him play you saw a beast on the puck, a guy that created havoc around the net. You could picture those traits in an NHL lineup and how the havoc he generated could create opportunity for players around him.

Ive only watched Podkolzin (can we call him ViP lol) in 3 full games.  He sorta reminds me of BT on how he creates havoc and uses his motor.  If he can puck retrieve and crash the net on a line with EP who knows what he can accomplish.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

All the odd travel - you mean all those half-hour trips across town? Yeah, I guess those could take quite a toll. Would be like a Canuck living waaaay out in the wilds of Burnaby, Richmond or North Vancouver. 

does he only play home games and does he only practice with 1 team?genuine question

23 minutes ago, Darius said:

Werent there similar concerns with Brady Tkachuk after his year at Boston U?  (Lack of speed, Lack of goal scoring etc) I was wondering why BT was ranked so high by scouts in light of the fact that he wasnt exactly lighting up the goal lamp at BU (he ended up with 8 goals and wasnt even top 3 in scoring...yeah he was a rookie) Then if you watched him play you saw a beast on the puck, a guy that created havoc around the net. You could picture those traits in an NHL lineup and how the havoc he generated could create opportunity for players around him.

Ive only watched Podkolzin (can we call him ViP lol) in 3 full games.  He sorta reminds me of BT on how he creates havoc and uses his motor.  If he can puck retrieve and crash the net on a line with EP who knows what he can accomplish.

That's very true and a pretty good situational comparison. Tkachuk's style of play has translated pretty seamlessly and there is reason to believe that Podkolzin's could as well. That being said, would Tkachuk go 4th in a re-draft, even just a year and a half out? I know there are quite a few players taken after him that I would at least consider taking over Tkachuk (Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Kravtsov, Lundqvist and Farabee). I feel as though Podkolzin could be similar in that quite a few players taken after him turn out better. 

Both Tkachuk and Podkolzin were/are virtual locks to be NHL players, but probably not the best NHL players. 

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's very true and a pretty good situational comparison. Tkachuk's style of play has translated pretty seamlessly and there is reason to believe that Podkolzin's could as well. That being said, would Tkachuk go 4th in a re-draft, even just a year and a half out? I know there are quite a few players taken after him that I would at least consider taking over Tkachuk (Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Kravtsov, Lundqvist and Farabee). I feel as though Podkolzin could be similar in that quite a few players taken after him turn out better. 

Both Tkachuk and Podkolzin were/are virtual locks to be NHL players, but probably not the best NHL players. 

Good points.

Not sure if I would take guys like Dobson and Bouchard over Tkachuk but its too early to tell.

Im thinking if ViP turns out like Brady we got a pretty good player...built for the playoffs too!