The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

45 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

does he only play home games and does he only practice with 1 team?genuine question

I don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if either of those was the case. But considering all of his teams are based in the same city, I don't really see any odd or excess travel for him.

17 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I don't know where to put this... but... 

Till this day I still rather have Zegras over both Hog and Pod. Anyone else agree? IF  we miss playoffs this coming season lets hope we have  some luck. :towel:

I have no doubt that if Zegras was there at 10 we would have taken him. I like the Podkolzin pick, given what we had to choose from, but would rather have Zegras.

• Cheers 2

We've had a number of Elite prospects in recent years....QH was very good at Michigan, Boeser was oioutsyanding at UND, Gaudette won the Hobey Baker, Ep won everything, Demko was very good at BC and in Utica.  We have been pretty spoiled as of late.  This is probably the first year in a while that we don't have a prospect that is dominating their level. 

I like the way Podkolzin plays, it should translate well to the NHL.  If he becomes a 40 point pit bull middle 6 winger, I think we did alright.

We've got 3 NCAA guys in Lockwood, Rathbone, Madden who could be NHLers

Hoglander is skilled and young (I don't understand the backlash for trying a low % play with 18 minutes left in the 3rd.  Last minute, it's probably not cool, but the games wasn't exactly on the line)

Dipietro, Lind, Joulevi Macewn are looking good in Utica.   Goldobin is producing as well.

Maybe no stars in this year's prospect pool, but looks like some potential NHLers at the very least.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, BCNate said:

(I don't understand the backlash for trying a low % play with 18 minutes left in the 3rd.

Was there backlash?  

I saw universal giddiness & wonder.  Svechnikov duplicated the move in an NHL game, believe game winner? And was also lauded.

His coach said it was only a matter of time. Does it every day in practice.

Back to Pod, looks like JT Miller to me. Bigger body, busts his @ss & has some skills. Podkolzin some pretty sic skills.  Don't think he plays pivot as well, but same kinda player. Does the glue stuff, fore checks, relebtless puck pursuit, hits, wins battles, hell created battles with out & out hustle! Makes whatever line better. Plus can handle and bury the puck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I have no doubt that if Zegras was there at 10 we would have taken him. I like the Podkolzin pick, given what we had to choose from, but would rather have Zegras.

Zegras is a perimeter player, who looks pretty with the puck, but isn't going to help his team win Cups.  Podz is the kind of player teams win Cups with.  You want pretty, or to celebrate us winning Cups?  

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zegras is a perimeter player, who looks pretty with the puck, but isn't going to help his team win Cups.  Podz is the kind of player teams win Cups with.  You want pretty, or to celebrate us winning Cups?  

Alf, come on now!

These are both world class talents.  Yes, Pod is going to be fantastic for us. Zegras is wicked. I suspect he will be one of the great assist guys and puck handlers in the NHL. We would have loved him, if he was available!  

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Alf, come on now!

These are both world class talents.  Yes, Pod is going to be fantastic for us. Zegras is wicked. I suspect he will be one of the great assist guys and puck handlers in the NHL. We would have loved him, if he was available!  

I always want our prospects to be the best in their drafts, and the other teams' guys to bustaroo.  After a guy has been in the league for a few years, and proves to play the right way, then I can respect them.  Not the prospects though.  Bustaroo and I laugh, especially when it's Toronto or Calgary.   

3 hours ago, Darius said:

Werent there similar concerns with Brady Tkachuk after his year at Boston U?  (Lack of speed, Lack of goal scoring etc) I was wondering why BT was ranked so high by scouts in light of the fact that he wasnt exactly lighting up the goal lamp at BU (he ended up with 8 goals and wasnt even top 3 in scoring...yeah he was a rookie) Then if you watched him play you saw a beast on the puck, a guy that created havoc around the net. You could picture those traits in an NHL lineup and how the havoc he generated could create opportunity for players around him.

Ive only watched Podkolzin (can we call him ViP lol) in 3 full games.  He sorta reminds me of BT on how he creates havoc and uses his motor.  If he can puck retrieve and crash the net on a line with EP who knows what he can accomplish.

Damn, that's a sexy comparable! If he becomes this type of player..look out Western Conf.

Our next wave of prospects seems to feature a lot of kids with attitude/chutzpah..but talent to back it up.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You need a bit of both.  I thuink we could use 1 more high end skill guy.  Not saying that is not Podkolzin, but more likely Zegras.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Was there backlash?  

I saw universal giddiness & wonder.  Svechnikov duplicated the move in an NHL game, believe game winner? And was also lauded.

His coach said it was only a matter of time. Does it every day in practice.

Back to Pod, looks like JT Miller to me. Bigger body, busts his @ss & has some skills. Podkolzin some pretty sic skills.  Don't think he plays pivot as well, but same kinda player. Does the glue stuff, fore checks, relebtless puck pursuit, hits, wins battles, hell created battles with out & out hustle! Makes whatever line better. Plus can handle and bury the puck.

There were more than a few comments about him being selfish, and immature to try the Lacrosse move in a 1-1 game.  I don't think it was a big deal, and I love that he gave it a shot.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

There were more than a few comments about him being selfish, and immature to try the Lacrosse move in a 1-1 game.  I don't think it was a big deal, and I love that he gave it a shot.

He tried the lacrosse move when he had the puck on his forehand in the slot though.  Why not just shoot the puck in that spot?  The chances of scoring from the slot on his forehand are way superior to what he attempted.  That's the selfish part.  His teammates and coaches (hopefully) were pissed he didn't shoot the puck properly.  It was a completely selfish (look at me) play on Hoglander's part.  I expect the leaders on his team took him aside and gave him a friggin' beating.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He tried the lacrosse move when he had the puck on his forehand in the slot though.  Why not just shoot the puck in that spot?  The chances of scoring from the slot on his forehand are way superior to what he attempted.  That's the selfish part.  His teammates and coaches (hopefully) were pissed he didn't shoot the puck properly.  It was a completely selfish (look at me) play on Hoglander's part.  I expect the leaders on his team took him aside and gave him a friggin' beating.  

But if you watch the play. After hogs tried it the puck went almost right to his teammate....so another scoring chance....

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's very true and a pretty good situational comparison. Tkachuk's style of play has translated pretty seamlessly and there is reason to believe that Podkolzin's could as well. That being said, would Tkachuk go 4th in a re-draft, even just a year and a half out? I know there are quite a few players taken after him that I would at least consider taking over Tkachuk (Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Kravtsov, Lundqvist and Farabee). I feel as though Podkolzin could be similar in that quite a few players taken after him turn out better. 

Both Tkachuk and Podkolzin were/are virtual locks to be NHL players, but probably not the best NHL players. 

BT has the same #s (so far) as what his brother had in his first 2 yrs and MT played on a much better team.  There's no reason to think that BT won't develop into a similar player as MT.

Other than Hughes, there's no one on your list of names that is looking better than BT.  You can add Kotkaniemi to that list, as well as every other prospect in the 2018 draft other than Dahlin, Svechnikov and Hughes.  It's early days for this draft, but BT is already in his 2nd NHL season.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf...….would you have had the same opinion if the puck went in?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just imagine if Bobby Hull would have slapped the puck into the corner with his curved stick

or

Jacques Plante's mask slid over his eyes

or 

Gretzky got plastered to the wall on one of his first delays

or

Bobby Orr got caught on one of his ene to end rushes

or

Serge Savard fell down on one of his Savardian spin-o-rama's

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BCNate said:

Not sure why posters put zegras stats in our prospect thread for VP.  Maybe go somewhere else with that. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

BT has the same #s (so far) as what his brother had in his first 2 yrs and MT played on a much better team.  There's no reason to think that BT won't develop into a similar player as MT.

Other than Hughes, there's no one on your list of names that is looking better than BT.  You can add Kotkaniemi to that list, as well as every other prospect in the 2018 draft other than Dahlin, Svechnikov and Hughes.  It's early days for this draft, but BT is already in his 2nd NHL season.

The main separating factors for me at this stage are position and potential. Four of the names I listed are RHD, which is THE premium asset in the NHL currently. All of those RHD have shown potential to be very good players at that position, which is something I would take over a very good winger. Whether they get there or not remains to be seen (we're not even 1.5 years removed from that draft), but the potential they have in the position they play makes them extremely valuable and exactly what we're missing to be honest. If I'm acquiring an 8/10 player, I'd rather it be on RD than LW. 

Kravtsov is a player who is creative and can drive offense. He's shown well in the KHL last two years and was actually TSN's #1 prospect in the world last year. I think his ceiling is extremely high, but again we'll have to wait and see. Farabee is similar but to a lesser degree. He's definitely the weakest of the list. As you can see, I value potential very highly, and I think pretty much all of those players have more potential than B. Tkachuk. 

Matthew Tkachuk displays a lot more IQ and skill in his game compared to Brady. Brady himself said that he scores all the greasy goals while Matthew is trying new things all the time. They do play different games, but both have that edge. Matthew was also a big reason why the Flames became a better team. He became their engine and drove his own line offensively. Brady hasn't done that yet, but he also didn't do it as much before the NHL either. I'd take Matthew over Brady any day of the week.