2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

BT has the same #s (so far) as what his brother had in his first 2 yrs and MT played on a much better team.  There's no reason to think that BT won't develop into a similar player as MT.

Other than Hughes, there's no one on your list of names that is looking better than BT.  You can add Kotkaniemi to that list, as well as every other prospect in the 2018 draft other than Dahlin, Svechnikov and Hughes.  It's early days for this draft, but BT is already in his 2nd NHL season.

The main separating factors for me at this stage are position and potential. Four of the names I listed are RHD, which is THE premium asset in the NHL currently. All of those RHD have shown potential to be very good players at that position, which is something I would take over a very good winger. Whether they get there or not remains to be seen (we're not even 1.5 years removed from that draft), but the potential they have in the position they play makes them extremely valuable and exactly what we're missing to be honest. If I'm acquiring an 8/10 player, I'd rather it be on RD than LW. 

Kravtsov is a player who is creative and can drive offense. He's shown well in the KHL last two years and was actually TSN's #1 prospect in the world last year. I think his ceiling is extremely high, but again we'll have to wait and see. Farabee is similar but to a lesser degree. He's definitely the weakest of the list. As you can see, I value potential very highly, and I think pretty much all of those players have more potential than B. Tkachuk. 

Matthew Tkachuk displays a lot more IQ and skill in his game compared to Brady. Brady himself said that he scores all the greasy goals while Matthew is trying new things all the time. They do play different games, but both have that edge. Matthew was also a big reason why the Flames became a better team. He became their engine and drove his own line offensively. Brady hasn't done that yet, but he also didn't do it as much before the NHL either. I'd take Matthew over Brady any day of the week. 

Game ends in a double shootout.

Russia wins the game in a shoot out. Series is tied in points so a second shoot out ensues.

IPod scores one goal in the second shoot out but misses on the next attempt. CHL wins the series.

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You wouldn't know that Podkolzin played games by reading this thread. 

Or by reading his stat line

• Haha 2

A 18 year old playing in a mostly 19 year old tourny. I thought his play was solid. Really liked his passing. He set up to SOG that should have gone in. 

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Alf...….would you have had the same opinion if the puck went in?

It did go in. 

Spectacularly, and he made the move while being checked.

Zorro! :towel:

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It did go in. 

Spectacularly, and he made the move while being checked.

Zorro! :towel:

I think Alf was talking about the more recent play when he tried it in the slot, when he could have shot.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

21 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Alf...….would you have had the same opinion if the puck went in?

Absolutely!  He tried a very low percentage play, when 20 feet directly in front, with the puck on his forehand.  From behind the net, when there is not much else, that's a creative play, that (if it doesn't go in) creates a rebound too.  From 20 feet in front, on your forehand, it's showboating, and putting yourself ahead of your team.  Like Hogs, but hate the showoff stuff.  Be a team player first.   

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe Alf, Maybe...

But, you know, having coached a bit, it always bugged me, when coaches said that a kid had to do this or that  a certain way. Just drained the creativity right out of the kid..

I don't like that cookie cutter thinking

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely!  He tried a very low percentage play, when 20 feet directly in front, with the puck on his forehand.  From behind the net, when there is not much else, that's a creative play, that (if it doesn't go in) creates a rebound too.  From 20 feet in front, on your forehand, it's showboating, and putting yourself ahead of your team.  Like Hogs, but hate the showoff stuff.  Be a team player first.   

Yeah.....no offence Alf.  But you are a major Canuck homer and band wagoner. If he scored you would have yelled from Grouse Mountain he was the next coming of Orr.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

I went to the game Wednesday in Saskatoon. I must say we got ourselves a heck of a player. Vasily does everything right and comes exactly as advertised. He was loving my Canucks bunnyhug ... sorry hoodie lol.

@sterilitz - thanks!

podkolzin saskatoon.jpg

On a side note. These Russian kids are humongous. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the juniors.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Hydration 2

He’ll be a good 3rd liner, maybe even a decent 2nd liner with time. I still say Benning missed the boat again. I was really hoping he’d have picked Thomas Harley. Potential to be a top two D. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YummyCakeFace said:

He’ll be a good 3rd liner, maybe even a decent 2nd liner with time. I still say Benning missed the boat again. I was really hoping he’d have picked Thomas Harley. Potential to be a top two D. 

Everyone drafted in the top 2 rounds has the potential to be a superstar, it’s just how likely they are to reaching it. The knock on Harley is the his floor is very low. You might get a good player but the floor is equally low

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nail Yakupov still plays?  Podz is a way more complete player than Yaks, unless Yaks has changed his game.