The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm kind of worried about him playing more then a 100 hockey games in a season when he's 19.  

He mentioned in an interview that last season his body got worn down from playing so much hockey.  

In the KHL games he is skating 5-10 mins, he should be fine. It takes a minimum of 98 games in an NHL season to go from start of season to winning a stanley cup, so he better get use to it. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I still wish that he can play in North America.  

Maybe not in the AHL, as it's still a hard league for anyone under 20... but maybe in the CHL.  

North American ice surface, NHL style schedule, the English language, etc.  

The interesting thing is that since the president of the IIHF came out recently and stated that he would like to see the international game played more on the North American ice size, around 12 KHL teams have converted to the NA size or Hybrid (Finnish size) rink. The speed of the game is enhanced by this... and yes, another row of seats to sell.

Im sure I read that the KHL was looking at increasing the amount of games in the future, as well as downsizing from the amount of teams that can not be financially accountable.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

The interesting thing is that since the president of the IIHF came out recently and stated that he would like to see the international game played more on the North American ice size, around 12 KHL teams have converted to the NA size or Hybrid (Finnish size) rink. The speed of the game is enhanced by this... and yes, another row of seats to sell.

Im sure I read that the KHL was looking at increasing the amount of games in the future, as well as downsizing from the amount of teams that can not be financially accountable.

World economics are shifting towards Russia/Asia..it'll be interesting to see the degree this gets reflected in pro sports. Like flies to $*!T, you know pro athletes(& lackey agents) have a $harp $ense of $mell for where that $ aroma emanates from.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can't believe this kid is 18 until next summer. Could bust in with us as a fresh faced 20 yr old, with 2 yrs of pro hockey already under his belt. Guy's gonna be a monster in 2 yrs!

He is 18 now. He was 17 when drafted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

In the KHL games he is skating 5-10 mins, he should be fine. It takes a minimum of 98 games in an NHL season to go from start of season to winning a stanley cup, so he better get use to it. 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing him do that several times over the next decade wearing a Canucks uniform.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I liked this part:

"When you think about it, isn’t Vasily Podkolzin currently in a similar situation to what Jake Virtanen was in during his 2015-16 season when he was too good for the CHL, not good enough for the NHL and ineligible except for a conditioning assignment in the AHL? What if Canucks’ coaching and management had had the ability to move Jake at will between Calgary, Utica and Vancouver that season? They could have built his confidence in the CHL, given him a reality check in the NHL and continued his hockey education in the AHL as they deemed best for his future. Would he be better off today? Probably. Certainly no worse off."

Would really give a really good perspective for kids. I do think there are situations where kids should be granted right to play in AHL if they can be juried there. Something where a selection of coaches can vote if a player can be released from the junior system and allowed to turn pro for the good of the player.

24 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would really give a really good perspective for kids. I do think there are situations where kids should be granted right to play in AHL if they can be juried there. Something where a selection of coaches can vote if a player can be released from the junior system and allowed to turn pro for the good of the player.

I think it is at least partly a financial issue, as the junior teams want to have enough talent on the ice to keep their seats full. I think each NHL team should be allowed to buy maybe one of their prospects per year away from junior for a fee that would compensate the junior team. A modest amount by NHL standards would go a long way for a junior team.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I liked this part:

"When you think about it, isn’t Vasily Podkolzin currently in a similar situation to what Jake Virtanen was in during his 2015-16 season when he was too good for the CHL, not good enough for the NHL and ineligible except for a conditioning assignment in the AHL? What if Canucks’ coaching and management had had the ability to move Jake at will between Calgary, Utica and Vancouver that season? They could have built his confidence in the CHL, given him a reality check in the NHL and continued his hockey education in the AHL as they deemed best for his future. Would he be better off today? Probably. Certainly no worse off."

I think it is a dream by many hockey people to be able to strip the upper end talent from the CHL to benefit their programs whether in the ECHL or AHL. Even NHL teams would be on board to move CHL players up and down during a full season. My concern would be what that would do to junior hockey in Canada. When we watch junior hockey on TV it is usually the top major junior franchises in the country. The Giants in Vancouver or London Knights out east. For evey 1 of those teams there are 6 or 7 teams who get by financially on a shoe string. Take their top talent away and the overall product slides and many of these teams would not survive. Canad has the best hockey development programs in the world. We shouldn't let it be destroyed.