On 12/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, NaveJoseph said:

Podkolzin played in different leagues and tournaments with constantly rotating line mates in his draft year too. He may have been drafted higher if he stayed with one club, and was able to build chemistry. We were lucky to get him.

Now, it might not be such a bad thing to learn how to play with different line mates. Podkolzin is someone who can play up and down the line up. He's the kind of player that can complement highly skilled players well by fishing the puck for them; or, be a line driver on the 3rd line and consistently drive to the net.

It is going to help him transition IMO.  Being able to pick things up quickly and be fit into different line ups.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yak was as soft as they come..........he couldn't see the corner with a telescope

He also lacked the determination and drive that Pod has.  The other guy is Slepyshev, who also had a lot of potential.  He was more of a sniper type, with great speed and was a big guy that avoided the tough areas on the ice.  Again, his dedication was questioned and he only lasted a 3 years bouncing between Edm and Bakersfield.

I'm not worried about Pod.  Nucks will take it slow with him and allow him to develop into the player they are anticipating.  I think he is going be a lot of fun to watch.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:18 AM, Boudrias said:

I think it is a dream by many hockey people to be able to strip the upper end talent from the CHL to benefit their programs whether in the ECHL or AHL. Even NHL teams would be on board to move CHL players up and down during a full season. My concern would be what that would do to junior hockey in Canada. When we watch junior hockey on TV it is usually the top major junior franchises in the country. The Giants in Vancouver or London Knights out east. For evey 1 of those teams there are 6 or 7 teams who get by financially on a shoe string. Take their top talent away and the overall product slides and many of these teams would not survive. Canad has the best hockey development programs in the world. We shouldn't let it be destroyed.   

IMO the NHL should be able to boost the CHL's finances easily if it meant being able to bring players up and down.  

This is not really different than the exceptional status given to 15 y/o players to being brought into the the CHL.  

Canada does have a great development system to a point.  IMO each CHL player should be given a trust fund per year of play.  

Some solid boost to the lower income clubs would also help keep teams in smaller markets.  

NCAA players should also be paying their athletes too.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

IMO the NHL should be able to boost the CHL's finances easily if it meant being able to bring players up and down.  

This is not really different than the exceptional status given to 15 y/o players to being brought into the the CHL.  

Canada does have a great development system to a point.  IMO each CHL player should be given a trust fund per year of play.  

Some solid boost to the lower income clubs would also help keep teams in smaller markets.  

I suspect that most NCAA players are on full ride scholarships, so if that is the case, they are being paid.

• Hydration 2

16 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I suspect that most NCAA players are on full ride scholarships, so if that is the case, they are being paid.

Most likely, but they are also risking alot too.  The NCAA makes billions of dollars every year, yet if a college athlete accepts a free meal after a game they are done.  Most end up wrecking their bodies for life and if they get hurt and cannot stay in their program... 

The NCAA is a racket that makes huge money off of the athletes work.  Everyone else gets seriously paid.  Sure a scholarship is good, but it pales in comparison to the money made by everyone else involved.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 2
  • Burrows 1

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Most likely, but they are also risking alot too.  The NCAA makes billions of dollars every year, yet if a college athlete accepts a free meal after a game they are done.  Most end up wrecking their bodies for life and if they get hurt and cannot stay in their program... 

The NCAA is a racket that makes huge money off of the athletes work.  Everyone else gets seriously paid.  Sure a scholarship is good, but it pales in comparison to the money made by everyone else involved.  

Just to play the devil's advocate... The school is taking a risk giving out full-rides, too. 

I have seen plenty who end up not finishing their years as student athletes. 

Seen different cases... Injuries or even poor performance on the ice in general. 

So the players do get scouted extensively on their on and off ice traits before being offered those scholarships.

Despite all the money spent on recruitment and the actual scholarship, only a select portion of them do end up becoming the players the school expected them to be. 

If they pan out, sure... those $150~200k were well spent. 

Edited by LowerMainLander18

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

For every year they play, their CHL team pays a year of university tuition 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, Warhippy said:

I will say this right now.

And PRAY the curse of the Canucks drafting Russians is broken

Ewww

That being said, if this kid hits even half of his skill set Benning will have hit a home run.  The guys neck is bigger than some people's thighs

(Edit** Only Eww because I want instant gratification and wanted Boldy because we need some decent LW prospects)

Yeah Bure was awful wasn't he?  What a waste of a pick...  (Smh) 

• Burrows 1

17 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Just to play the devil's advocate... The school is taking a risk giving out full-rides, too. 

I have seen plenty who end up not finishing their years as student athletes. 

Seen different cases... Injuries or even poor performance on the ice in general. 

So the players do get scouted extensively on their on and off ice traits before being offered those scholarships.

Despite all the money spent on recruitment and the actual scholarship, only a select portion of them do end up becoming the players the school expected them to be. 

If they pan out, sure... those $150~200k were well spent. 

Scholarship, education, hockey development and exposure. IMHO a better option than the AHL even thought the AHL is superior hockey.  

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Scholarship, education, hockey development and exposure. IMHO a better option than the AHL even thought the AHL is superior hockey.  

IDK, what's the league min in the AHL 70k a year.  That's 4 years of college tuition.  But why not have the tuition and some pay.  These are teenagers, kids just finishing grade 9 in some cases.  

They move away from home and friends.  The big issue is that they are providing an entertainment service on behalf of private companies (chl club).  

IMO more should be done to compensate this semi pro leagues players.  With the huge money needed to play hockey, it is further out of reach for the average Canadian family.  

I have a daughter... thank God.  The amount of commitment and time spent by parents in my small town to get their kids to games and practice is insane.  

Then is the kid is good enough to make a jr roster... say goodbye mom and dad, you can see me online.  

The NHL is a multi billion dollar business.  Promoting grass roots hockey could be boosted, all the way up to jr hockey.  It would only make it a better product for everyone.  

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

IDK, what's the league min in the AHL 70k a year.  That's 4 years of college tuition.  But why not have the tuition and some pay.  These are teenagers, kids just finishing grade 9 in some cases.  

They move away from home and friends.  The big issue is that they are providing an entertainment service on behalf of private companies (chl club).  

IMO more should be done to compensate this semi pro leagues players.  With the huge money needed to play hockey, it is further out of reach for the average Canadian family.  

I have a daughter... thank God.  The amount of commitment and time spent by parents in my small town to get their kids to games and practice is insane.  

Then is the kid is good enough to make a jr roster... say goodbye mom and dad, you can see me online.  

The NHL is a multi billion dollar business.  Promoting grass roots hockey could be boosted, all the way up to jr hockey.  It would only make it a better product for everyone.  

I hear ya. Putting a child in minor hockey is a family commitment. Did with our son and he didn't play past midget. Played house hockey at university but that was to blow off steam and stress. He plays to this day so I don't regret the time at all. It goes beyond the mechanics of learning the game. He learned out to play on a team and formed friendships that endure to this day. He learned to be sensitive to what other players had to do to play. It can be negative or positive experience. It was positive for him and now he has his son playing. 

Funneling money down into minor hockey is a big deal. I am not sure what the NHL does other than drafted players generate income back to CHL teams. Not sure if that filters further down or not. Some CHL franchises are privately owned but some are community owned. I suggest that the majority just scrap by. There are obvious exceptions for sure. For example the Cranbrook Kootenay Ice folded and moved to Manitoba. That franchise bleed money for a decade before moving. I heard their operating budget was $3.5 million. Operating costs are not pooled so Western CHL teams have huge travel costs.  If the NHL put more money into minor hockey it would be great.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Boudrias said:

I hear ya. Putting a child in minor hockey is a family commitment. Did with our son and he didn't play past midget. Played house hockey at university but that was to blow off steam and stress. He plays to this day so I don't regret the time at all. It goes beyond the mechanics of learning the game. He learned out to play on a team and formed friendships that endure to this day. He learned to be sensitive to what other players had to do to play. It can be negative or positive experience. It was positive for him and now he has his son playing. 

Funneling money down into minor hockey is a big deal. I am not sure what the NHL does other than drafted players generate income back to CHL teams. Not sure if that filters further down or not. Some CHL franchises are privately owned but some are community owned. I suggest that the majority just scrap by. There are obvious exceptions for sure. For example the Cranbrook Kootenay Ice folded and moved to Manitoba. That franchise bleed money for a decade before moving. I heard their operating budget was $3.5 million. Operating costs are not pooled so Western CHL teams have huge travel costs.  If the NHL put more money into minor hockey it would be great.  

It really would be.  Our local rink is disgusting.  Truly need a tetanus shot to play there.  

Reducing the number of clubs would boost the quality if play and maybe push less likely to succeed kids into the canadian college route which be better for their lives and improve the Canadian college hockey system which should be much better than it is.  

The NHL should be directly funding the junior leagues from which they draft players from.  Maybe based on the draft.  Say the 1st OA comes out of the OHL, they get a big bonus to be spent on hockey, not to pay exec's.  

Then each pick from there, only going down in amount.  This would also go to foreign leagues too.  

It makes sense.  Maybe by doing so, the top players could be allowed to be called up and be sent back down over their draft plus years.  

1m for the top pick, 500k for the second oa, down to 10k for the 7th rounders.  

This money would have strings and conditions.  It could help the smaller market clubs, go out to help families of hockey players offset the huge costs, allowing poorer kids a better chance of realizing their dreams, improving facilities which would be a big boost to communities around  the country.  

The league would also get big support for doing this.  Sure the Kraft hockey thing is nice, but it is a finger in the dam.  Alot of small towns struggle to pay for their drinks and getting ice time just to skate is impossible.  

• Hydration 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, iceman64 said:

Yeah Bure was awful wasn't he?  What a waste of a pick...  (Smh) 

See I adore this statement.

Because in 50 years of existence as an organization.  Name one other draft Russian by this team that stuck and made an impact.  Go ahead, I'll wait. A long while.  Because we've never, EVER had luck drafting Russians outside of Bure

So keep shaking your head because you'll never find a single player we've drafted from Russia or the USSR that has even been more than a regular season 4th liner.  Trotting out Bure as your only response shows that

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Because in 50 years of existence as an organization.  Name one other draft Russian by this team that stuck and made an impact.  Go ahead, I'll wait. A long while.  Because we've never, EVER had luck drafting Russians outside of Bure

And Pavel was a slam dunk pick.  If we didn't get lucky and draft him a year earlier than other teams thought he was eligible, then Pavel goes top five for sure, and maybe first OA.  I don't think anyone questioned Pavel's greatness.  Pods IMO will be a very good player for us, but even JB said (after he drafted Pods) the he was going to be a support player.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:15 PM, Boudrias said:

I've often thought that but when I stop and think about it how exactly do you  put money into it? Where the short fall is making it a more viable sport. Many parents simply can't enroll their kids, fees, equipment, travel and ungodly hours makes it very unattractive, so you simply don't plumb the depths for players. Frankly the only thing I can think of is make it a school sport. Where much can be provided collectively to support those parents who just have enough trouble putting food on the table or servicing their mortgage. But... here's the but, Hockey Canada is NOT going to put it's self out of business. The school route seems a viable system in the USA and offers encouragement from tykes to NCAA and beyond. This will never happen in Canada. Hockey Canada has a death grip on the sport and they ain't going to give that up. I know in the minor hockey association I was associated with we would quietly help needy kids/parents. But there was no opportunity to reclaim these costs from the Hockey Canada/Goverment departments and I suspect that if other parents knew there might be a problem. A large number of Prep schools in the US offer scholarships ( and a quality education) for some kids and the ultimate help is the National Development Program which is churning out a lot of great players but in addition churning out numbers. 

Despite being our national sport, Hockey Canada seems unable to square the circle when it come to administration.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So keep shaking your head because you'll never find a single player we've drafted from Russia or the USSR that has even been more than a regular season 4th liner.  Trotting out Bure as your only response shows that

Didn't we only taken one russian in first round previously? Should see the number of canadians that were busts

• Upvote 1

I'm not a big fan of the Podkolzin pick either, but chalking it up to country of origin is dumb. The 2018 draft goes a little differently and we somehow wind up with Svetchnikov instead of Hughes, chances are this "Russian factor" argument flies out the window. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Pavel was a slam dunk pick.  If we didn't get lucky and draft him a year earlier than other teams thought he was eligible, then Pavel goes top five for sure, and maybe first OA.  I don't think anyone questioned Pavel's greatness.  Pods IMO will be a very good player for us, but even JB said (after he drafted Pods) the he was going to be a support player.  

Someone like Jake...only with a bit more purpose when he crashes the net...so maybe 2nd line kind of level, or literally anywhere on our team...in a year or 2...