The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Tae Kwon Do first.  She's 5 and already some of the grade 2 boys are blowing her kisses.  

She loves to skate and is in dance.  I don't think she is looking to hockey yet.  I am convincing her that Tae Kwon Do is a martial art, with the emphasis on art.  

Kickboxing and BJJ are pretty good things to get into if you want to explore more of those sort of things. Tons and tons of kid programs that are very educational.

Figure skating could be good too if she likes skating and dancing.

Lots of potential you have at that age. I am not a parent, being a young adult, but I bet it is a amazing thing to watch a child grow.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

See I adore this statement.

Because in 50 years of existence as an organization.  Name one other draft Russian by this team that stuck and made an impact.  Go ahead, I'll wait. A long while.  Because we've never, EVER had luck drafting Russians outside of Bure

So keep shaking your head because you'll never find a single player we've drafted from Russia or the USSR that has even been more than a regular season 4th liner.  Trotting out Bure as your only response shows that

Igor Larionov:)    The jury is still out on whether Tryamkin will end up being a good pick.  In a couple of years, we will see how Podkozin pick pans out.

Canucks didn't really draft very many Russians compared to the other major hockey countries and when they did, the pick was way down in the cellar rounds.  Besides, throughout the years the Canucks have been pretty bad at drafting, so I don't think the messy history of picks can be pinned on "being unlucky with Russians".

On 12/10/2019 at 10:40 PM, Warhippy said:

Because in 50 years of existence as an organization.  Name one other draft Russian by this team that stuck and made an impact.  Go ahead, I'll wait. A long while.  Because we've never, EVER had luck drafting Russians outside of Bure

So keep shaking your head because you'll never find a single player we've drafted from Russia or the USSR that has even been more than a regular season 4th liner.  Trotting out Bure as your only response shows that

Larionov... So there's two ;)

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, Warhippy said:

So we shouldn't have drafted him simply because he's Russian? Even if he's the BPA at our pick? 

Should we avoid drafting Germans like Seider because we haven't had luck with German players? Or a Slovenian like Kopitar? We've had bad luck drafting Canadians too, but it's worth that risk because we have had some success there?

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So we shouldn't have drafted him simply because he's Russian? Even if he's the BPA at our pick? 

Should we avoid drafting Germans like Seider because we haven't had luck with German players? Or a Slovenian like Kopitar? We've had bad luck drafting Canadians too, but it's worth that risk because we have had some success there?

You're missing a fact from your assertion. Russian have historically been difficult to negotiate with. We have had  Russians who simply decided to move along. Chubarov who returned to Russia out of the blue, Koltsov ditto and Tryamkin ditto. The allure of mother Russia and their own life style was just to much to over come. That's not a great record. I could add Larinov and Bure were not enamoured with Vcr either and wanted out. ….. Kopitar, Slovenians, Germans are strawmen, a red herring that has no baring on the facts. The Russian have made their own bed and it's up to them now. Frankly I wouldn't be trusting of them either. Out of interest can you recall any other third round selection refuse to go the AHL …. just saying:lol:

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

You're missing a fact from your assertion. Russian have historically been difficult to negotiate with. We have had  Russians who simply decided to move along. Chubarov who returned to Russia out of the blue, Koltsov ditto and Tryamkin ditto. The allure of mother Russia and their own life style was just to much to over come. That's not a great record. I could add Larinov and Bure were not enamoured with Vcr either and wanted out. ….. Kopitar, Slovenians, Germans are strawmen, a red herring that has no baring on the facts. The Russian have made their own bed and it's up to them now. Frankly I wouldn't be trusting of them either. Out of interest can you recall any other third round selection refuse to go the AHL …. just saying:lol:

So we can decide to shun Russians or try to build a reputation that welcomes them should they be the BPA and actually help our team regardless of what nationality they are. Why remove ourselves from potentially very good NHLers?

On 12/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, Warhippy said:

why didn't you just say apart from Bure?  That difficult to do?  And some of the best players in the NHL have been Russian so just because we haven't had that good of a shot at guys like Ovie doesn't mean you just give up on Russians

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

why didn't you just say apart from Bure?  That difficult to do?  And some of the best players in the NHL have been Russian so just because we haven't had that good of a shot at guys like Ovie doesn't mean you just give up on Russians

No way the Canucks in this day in age discriminate against Russians.  I think if there were a Russian, Swede,Fin, or any other person from any other country the BPA, they would take said player. :)

14 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

No way the Canucks in this day in age discriminate against Russians.  I think if there were a Russian, Swede,Fin, or any other person from any other country the BPA, they would take said player. :)

I don't think it's discrimination as much as caution...........with good reason, imo.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So we can decide to shun Russians or try to build a reputation that welcomes them should they be the BPA and actually help our team regardless of what nationality they are. Why remove ourselves from potentially very good NHLers?

Why waste a pick on some one who todate  have failed to stay here. It's not as though these Russians are head and shoulders better than other option ( who likely will sign and hang around )Define how much better Podkolzn than Soderstrom, Caufield, Boldy et al

On 12/10/2019 at 4:07 PM, shad0w4life said:

Didn't we only taken one russian in first round previously? Should see the number of canadians that were busts

You'd be right ish.

Koltsov was the only other 1st rounder I remember taking.  Chubarov was really close, early 2nd I believe and a number of Russians after the 1st round.  But Bure is literally the only name people can bring up.  We've never had luck with Russian players.  Whether that is fat or design who knows.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:44 PM, higgyfan said:

Igor Larionov:)    The jury is still out on whether Tryamkin will end up being a good pick.  In a couple of years, we will see how Podkozin pick pans out.

Canucks didn't really draft very many Russians compared to the other major hockey countries and when they did, the pick was way down in the cellar rounds.  Besides, throughout the years the Canucks have been pretty bad at drafting, so I don't think the messy history of picks can be pinned on "being unlucky with Russians".

Larionov was 11th round and Bure was 6th.  We've had a ton of Czechs too.  By and large our entire European scouting dept outside of Sweden has been entirely suspect

I see the hate on here towards drafting Russians because of the past but it is not fair to judge benning on picking Russians as he has not had a failed high pick towards a Russian yet and there is a chance that tree and pod end up being key pieces to this team,  I’d say his only really bad blunder has been Juolevi so far and it’s not like he could have predicted these injury’s that set him back a year or 2 now.... maybe jake as well but it’s not like ehlers or nylander are superstars that make me pissed off there not on our team the other 2 options majority wanted at that pick. IMO tkachuk is the only real hindsight we missed big on  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Why waste a pick on some one who todate  have failed to stay here. It's not as though these Russians are head and shoulders better than other option ( who likely will sign and hang around )Define how much better Podkolzn than Soderstrom, Caufield, Boldy et al

Why assume it's a wasted pick? Podkolzin will define it himself. The Canucks if true to their word ranked him above those guys and drafted what they believe to be the BPA. We will see if they are correct. We have drafted guys like Schroeder who have hung around and didn't accomplish much, is that not a wasted pick that happens to be a North American?

33 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Why assume it's a wasted pick? Podkolzin will define it himself. The Canucks if true to their word ranked him above those guys and drafted what they believe to be the BPA. We will see if they are correct. We have drafted guys like Schroeder who have hung around and didn't accomplish much, is that not a wasted pick that happens to be a North American?

It's a matter of comfort. It's why many other teams shy away from Russian player. Schroder was a waste for sure, but some of that falls on the NHL because they stated they intended to call games allowing smaller skilled players, it never happened ( at that time) Podkolzn may indeed be a good player and will not balk at playing in the AHL if need be, or resist the call of the KHL but these are risks that don't exist with NA/EU players. It's simply a higher risk pick. Should a Russian player quit in NA  and retrun to the mother land he won't be the first and I doubt will be the last, they're unpredicatable and you get limited choices in the draft. Vcr has suffered with Russian players in the past

On 12/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Kickboxing and BJJ are pretty good things to get into if you want to explore more of those sort of things. Tons and tons of kid programs that are very educational.

Figure skating could be good too if she likes skating and dancing.

Lots of potential you have at that age. I am not a parent, being a young adult, but I bet it is a amazing thing to watch a child grow.

In essence of what comes of it should be and what is the most important trait a person can develop is discipline, body and mind...  That's half the battle and makes all the difference when your challenging yourself to the next level. Even in the NHL you can see the guys who have it the most to those who don't, yeah it's hard at the start but like anything, you get out what you put in.. 

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It's a matter of comfort. It's why many other teams shy away from Russian player. Schroder was a waste for sure, but some of that falls on the NHL because they stated they intended to call games allowing smaller skilled players, it never happened ( at that time) Podkolzn may indeed be a good player and will not balk at playing in the AHL if need be, or resist the call of the KHL but these are risks that don't exist with NA/EU players. It's simply a higher risk pick. Should a Russian player quit in NA  and retrun to the mother land he won't be the first and I doubt will be the last, they're unpredicatable and you get limited choices in the draft. Vcr has suffered with Russian players in the past

Every player is a new opportunity. He was one of the highest ranked players. Everything he has said has his full intention of playing in the NHL. We could afford the two years for him to come over and it actually benefits us capwise. The storybook isn't over for Tryamkin just yet. Perhaps we turn the tide on the Russians on our team and no longer miss out on potentially some golden opportunities. Some of the best players in the NHL are Russians. There is no reason why we should be mining for talent there as well.

• Upvote 2