The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Did Canucks lose out on their guy?

Rate this topic

Doogie

I for one really love the Podkolzin pick, his stock dropped a bit, not sure if it was the Russian factor or his performance this year but I’m glad it did and he fell to us. He checks off all the boxes we needed in our top 6: Size, Speed, Skill and he plays with an edge. 

However, with the rumours of the Canucks looking to move up in the draft and Ben Kuzma tweeting after Detroit’s pick the Canucks draft table did a mini wave (I’m assuming they were upset). Did the Canucks lose out on their guy, Seider? 

Edited by Doogie
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Doogie said:

I for one really love the Podkolzin pick, his stock dropped a bit, not sure if it was the Russian factor or his performance this year but I’m glad it did and he fell to us. He checks off all the boxes we needed in our top 6: Size, Speed, Skill and he plays with an edge. 

However, with the rumours of the Canucks looking to move up in the draft and Ben Kuzma tweeting after Detroit’s pick the Canucks draft table did a mini wave (I’m assuming they were upset). Did the Canucks lose out on their guy, Seider? 

lol more like the canucks were wtf at that pick.. that guy is not even in the top 20 in most ranking

• Haha 1

I think the Canucks would have preferred to take Philip Broberg... he is a big puck handling rushing defenseman and fits their real needs on the blue line.

But with the Oilers grabbing him, Benning had no real other choice but to take the BPA his scouts recommended.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, koregen said:

I love the fact they drafted a winger and I'm really liking the pick. My only concern is that he is Russian and the whole run back home to the KHL thing. Perhaps this will be incentive for Tyramkin to make a return. Also, I am so happy that we managed to get Edler re-signed to a very friendly team building contract yesterday. Thanks Edler for sticking with us and thanks to all parties involved to getting this deal done, loosing him for nothing would have been devastating for our back end.

Should be okay. I don’t think Tyramkin was high profile enough for us to give larionov, Bure, mogilny, chubarov etc a ring to get them to call him and sucker him into coming over to our bad team.

VP probably is high profile enough for us to pull out all the stops to get him over here. And if we can’t keep him here, blame Benning.  Other teams have no problems keeping their kucherovs, tarasenkos, kunetsovs etc. Why should we if our management is competent enough?

• Upvote 3

The main reason I like this pick, is that when he comes over, he can drag Groot back with him......

Altho that Boldy was available and I liked that pick better..... but who knows .......throw the dice. when he comes over, we will all be happy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Should be okay. I don’t think Tyramkin was high profile enough for us to give larionov, Bure, mogilny, chubarov etc a ring to get them to call him and sucker him into coming over to our bad team.

VP probably is high profile enough for us to pull out all the stops to get him over here. And if we can’t keep him here, blame Benning.  Other teams have no problems keeping their kucherovs, tarasenkos, kunetsovs etc. Why should we if our management is competent enough?

I disagree with a lot of your points, it is not the way I see it. Coming to a new country with English as your 2nd language is difficult even for the best, especially when you have the option of going back home and being a star. There have been rumors that perhaps Tyramkin wants to give it another shot, I guess only time will tell.

36 minutes ago, Doogie said:

Possibly. They might have taken Seider at 10 and as the lone top RHD I think it was highly likely as a choice, but Detroit shook up the draft by taking him at 6.

There is not much point discussing the picks that got taken ahead of us, because we had a #10 pick. Perhaps Benning tried to deal for a higher pick but to me moving up a few spots was not worth it because we would have to give something back in return.

With the re-signing of Edler and drafting a winger I would now be looking to RFA/trades to utilize our cap space to get another good defense man. Hopefully the Aquillinis can afford it after the recent tax evasion news.

• Haha 1

If I had to guess I would think that maybe Seider was a guy they potentially had a deal to trade down for? Maybe they were shocked he went so high?

As for "their guy? I think they were high on Zegras and maybe even had Boldy or Caufeld in their sights. I'm thinking they probably thought Podkolzin would be long gone and maybe weren't prepared to take him, but thought BPA was the way to go.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, koregen said:

With the re-signing of Edler and drafting a winger I would now be looking to RFA/trades to utilize our cap space to get another good defense man. Hopefully the Aquillinis can afford it after the recent tax evasion news.

Ruh roh....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Too much marijuana ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3