The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Did Canucks lose out on their guy?

Rate this topic

Doogie

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If I had to guess I would think that maybe Seider was a guy they potentially had a deal to trade down for? Maybe they were shocked he went so high?

As for "their guy? I think they were high on Zegras and maybe even had Boldy or Caufeld in their sights. I'm thinking they probably thought Podkolzin would be long gone and maybe weren't prepared to take him, but thought BPA was the way to go.

BPNNH

Spoiler

Best Player Not Named Hughes

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

Whole TV panel said that Podkolzin was the second best player in the entire draft. I think Benning knew what he was doing all along. Sneaky, sneaky, pick.

I think I read somewhere that scouts had him pegged as the #2 skater. I'm not sure about the #2 overall :)

7 minutes ago, koregen said:

I think I read somewhere that scouts had him pegged as the #2 skater. I'm not sure about the #2 overall :)

Yeah i saw that on the stat boards of the mocks and thought ummm doubtful and one other had him at 4 but then down, think the media had some to do with it hyping his 2 year deal and wouldn't go crazy high because gm's would shy away from him (potentially)  so it lowered him. Seems to be a strong possibility but i put him 5-7 as in the same boat as the not nhl ready players who need developing so i think it could have gone either way with him.. a toss up i suppose, worst case scenario we have a lethal russian waiting in the wings if we lose someone in the expansion draft at forward... 

The one thing I’m excited about with our pick is this kid has compete and high motor. Some scouts even noted he is good at getting under oppositions skin and is hard to play against. That mixed with his obvious skill set and size and the Canucks have a potential picture perfect top 6 playoff performer. 

The biggest complainers here are from the instant gratification crowd. They want it all and.... NOW!

I like this pick meanwhile he will be developing with men in a very good league. Like many Russians and players from all over the world they dream to play on the big stage the NHL!

In Benning we trust!

• Upvote 2