The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Did Canucks lose out on their guy?

Rate this topic

Doogie

14 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Benning definitely didn't seem nearly as excited as he was last year after getting Quin. Might've been disappointed with missing out and Seider and then almost getting Zegras. 

C'mon Quinn was almost like a lottery pick falling on your lap, who couldn't contain themselves picking from that spot .

• Upvote 1

In two years, when we all watch Podkolzin play, everyone will realize this was the best pick after Hughes.  Big, fast, skilled, mean, and hyper compete guys are a must to win Cups.  I love that Podkolzin is mean.  This kid is going to be no fun for the other teams to play against.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In two years, when we all watch Podkolzin play, everyone will realize this was the best pick after Hughes.  Big, fast, skilled, mean, and hyper compete guys are a must to win Cups.  I love that Podkolzin is mean.  This kid is going to be no fun for the other teams to play against.  

Ummm Alien, put down the moon juice your drinking... however if you shoot for the moon and only get somewhere past orbit and he helps the team then pretty content with that...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Doogie said:

I for one really love the Podkolzin pick, his stock dropped a bit, not sure if it was the Russian factor or his performance this year but I’m glad it did and he fell to us. He checks off all the boxes we needed in our top 6: Size, Speed, Skill and he plays with an edge. 

However, with the rumours of the Canucks looking to move up in the draft and Ben Kuzma tweeting after Detroit’s pick the Canucks draft table did a mini wave (I’m assuming they were upset). Did the Canucks lose out on their guy, Seider? 

If anything I actually assume that Edmonton lost out on their pick.

Look back in the GDT Ithe second Detroit called Seider I said Edmonton was going Broberg, I said it in the draft thread too, if Detroit takes Player X Edmonton will take player Y

Yzerman picked the guy Holland wanted, Holland picked the second best person at that position according to his sheets.

They are collectively going to be possibly the biggest and best D taken in the first round after Byram (maybe before if both hit their ceilings)

Look back at the draft from Edmontons table, Holland was not happy

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Benning definitely didn't seem nearly as excited as he was last year after getting Quin. Might've been disappointed with missing out and Seider and then almost getting Zegras. 

He had the opportunity to give up a 2nd rd pick to move to 6th and pick Zegras. Idk why Benning didnt.. 2nd rd pick is nothing to move up 4 spots and grab "THE GUY" you desire alot. Not saying Pod is bad, but we had to settle. I rather just pay up the 2nd rd and get someone they really LOVE. 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

He had the opportunity to give up a 2nd rd pick to move to 6th and pick Zegras. Idk why Benning didnt.. 2nd rd pick is nothing to move up 4 spots and grab "THE GUY" you desire alot. Not saying Pod is bad, but we had to settle. I rather just pay up the 2nd rd and get someone they really LOVE. 

With Lavoie or Kailyev, why give a vital 2nd pick?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Because you get the guy you want for certain. We settled for Pod, not saying hes a bad player or anything but I think it was pretty clear Benning LOVED zegras. 

How do you know JB loved Zegras?  

• Cheers 2

After the playoffs we just watched, we managed to come away with a Tarasenko jr. with a lot more heart and little less snipe.

He is an odd one to prognosticate because he's not really 'boom or bust', in that his dogged pursuit of the puck will bode well no matter what... but we don't know how high he can actually go. I mean, this was Russia's number one offering this year, and the one WJC game I attended this year he looked exactly that.

But where are the points this year? Hard to imagine him not putting up numbers next to our young players.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When we need as many good young prospects as we can get you wanna give away 2nd round picks for a player that isn't even the best player available?

I can only imagine the reaction on here if Benning gave up another 2nd round pick. Especially to get a player that is arguably not even better than the players available at 10.

What makes u think Zegras isn't BPA? Maybe Benning thought  he would take a risk and zegras fall to 10. Nonetheless, can't do anything now. Just hope Pod becomes good. 

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Sorry, maybe the way I phrased it was wrong. But Benning had many  many interviews with  Zegras. Why would someone waste time interviewing someone that many times? 

Our team interviewed all the guys they thought might be available at 10.  Personally I was never high on Zegras.  He’s too east west for my liking.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, koregen said:

I love the fact they drafted a winger and I'm really liking the pick. My only concern is that he is Russian and the whole run back home to the KHL thing. Perhaps this will be incentive for Tyramkin to make a return. Also, I am so happy that we managed to get Edler re-signed to a very friendly team building contract yesterday. Thanks Edler for sticking with us and thanks to all parties involved to getting this deal done, loosing him for nothing would have been devastating for our back end.

If he’s playing and the Canucks are winning then he would be happy. Then those kind of issues will become irrelevant.