The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Did Canucks lose out on their guy?

Rate this topic

Doogie

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

He had the opportunity to give up a 2nd rd pick to move to 6th and pick Zegras. Idk why Benning didnt.. 2nd rd pick is nothing to move up 4 spots and grab "THE GUY" you desire alot. Not saying Pod is bad, but we had to settle. I rather just pay up the 2nd rd and get someone they really LOVE. 

Sorry, and you know that? 

Has JB stated that anywhere, cause I may have missed that part...

Just generally interested in hearing if this is fact or fiction...

Was listening in the car. Radio guys said they were going hard after Zegras. Since Detroit was going way off board they may have been frustrated the Steve wouldn’t trade with them and then went way off the board for someone who was probably going to be available at 10. 

Edited by DrJockitch

If the lotto balls didn't cause us to move down a spot, we'd have nabbed Zegras at 9. We lost out on him due to luck more than anything. 

2 years is also a pretty decent timeline. This year will be Hughes' first year in the NHL. Virtanen is on the edge of maybe becoming a top 6 player. Gaudette needs a couple years to mature into a 3C. Our draft picks in 2020 and 2021 will really add to the Canucks overall depth. 

We're still a rebuilding team and can't afford to be throwing picks away, especially when there's potential top 6 and top 4 talent left in the second round. 

Edited by OneSeventeen

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

In two years, when we all watch Podkolzin play, everyone will realize this was the best pick after Hughes.  Big, fast, skilled, mean, and hyper compete guys are a must to win Cups.  I love that Podkolzin is mean.  This kid is going to be no fun for the other teams to play against.  

If I recall  Alf you were very high on Seider .  Good call. 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Upvote 1

Benning made a good point. If he went to college he might take up to 3 years to be ready. The kid said all the right things about coming over to the NHL. I was a little surprised that they went this route but it could become a real steal. The kid does play the game the right way. He has the size that we all like and he has an edge to his game.

Get Tryamkin back at the end of his contract this year. Give Glody a real shot this year. Lets get Jake on steroids , just joking but it would be nice if Jake would wake up and realize that he needs to play with more grit . He also needs to realize that the front of the net is where he needs to set up and that most players can't stop him from getting there. Size is still important.

• Upvote 2

Quinn Hughes standing beside Podz on the stage...thinking to himself "f$ck me, I played against this guy in two tourneys and he lit up and dominated the US devleopment team....can't believe he is on my team...he's a beast!"...you could see it in "Q's" eyes and his expression of awesome!

• Upvote 2

Vegras was their guy, but we hit a home run with Podkolzin. If i had to make my completely uneducated guess I would say they had Zegras ranked around...5 or 6 on the draft board, while they had Podkolzin at 8 (that one we know). So far so good with this draft, hoping for another great day today.

37 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Benning made a good point. If he went to college he might take up to 3 years to be ready. The kid said all the right things about coming over to the NHL. I was a little surprised that they went this route but it could become a real steal. The kid does play the game the right way. He has the size that we all like and he has an edge to his game.

Get Tryamkin back at the end of his contract this year. Give Glody a real shot this year. Lets get Jake on steroids , just joking but it would be nice if Jake would wake up and realize that he needs to play with more grit . He also needs to realize that the front of the net is where he needs to set up and that most players can't stop him from getting there. Size is still important.

I really wanted Zegras, but I think Pod will be a great fit on the Canucks.  Hard working, competative,  physical, with a motor that never shuts off.  Apparently a good leader, who always has his teammates' backs.  I think he will have a positive affect on Jake, as Pod's character and relentless attack has been known to influence the players on his team(s) in Russia.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

In two years, when we all watch Podkolzin play, everyone will realize this was the best pick after Hughes.  Big, fast, skilled, mean, and hyper compete guys are a must to win Cups.  I love that Podkolzin is mean.  This kid is going to be no fun for the other teams to play against.  

Isn’t that what we said about Virtanen?

I see a kid who doesn’t have very good hands, doesn’t use his line mates well, and doesn’t have offensive awareness.  

Big, fast, skilled?, mean, compete level

vs

Hands, puck distributor, intelligence to read the play

I’d choose Zegras

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I really wanted Zegras, but I think Pod will be a great fit on the Canucks.  Hard working, competative,  physical, with a motor that never shuts off.  Apparently a good leader, who always has his teammates' backs.  I think he will have a positive affect on Jake, as Pod's character and relentless attack has been known to influence the players on his team(s) in Russia.

Jake may not be here when this kid shows up. Jake needs to figure this out on his own.  The trade rumors are a good thing and you can be sure that Jake has heard them loud and clear.  Maybe he has had his last chance but if not then he will need to start the year strong and carry it through. Contract year will give him that extra boost.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

Isn’t that what we said about Virtanen?

I see a kid who doesn’t have very good hands, doesn’t use his line mates well, and doesn’t have offensive awareness.  

Big, fast, skilled?, mean, compete level

vs

Hands, puck distributor, intelligence to read the play

I’d choose Zegras

There are plenty who are high on Zegras, but I never liked his game.  I see him as too fancy, too east west, too unwilling to get to the hard areas, too perimeter, and too soft.  

I much prefer Podkolzin.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There are plenty who are high on Zegras, but I never liked his game.  I see him as too fancy, too east west, too unwilling to get to the hard areas, too perimeter, and too soft.  

I much prefer Podkolzin.  

Completely fair analysis.  I always prefer players who can see the ice well, Podkolzin seems like a bull in a china shop, ala Virtanen/David Booth.

Saying that Podkolzin was probably the best left on the board, glad we didn’t take Krebs, great release but thats about it

Edited by mpt

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

Completely fair analysis.  I always prefer players who can see the ice well, Podkolzin seems like a bull in a china shop, ala Virtanen/David Booth

Podkolzin has way more skill in his left foot than Booth and Virtanen

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Vegras was their guy, but we hit a home run with Podkolzin. If i had to make my completely uneducated guess I would say they had Zegras ranked around...5 or 6 on the draft board, while they had Podkolzin at 8 (that one we know). So far so good with this draft, hoping for another great day today.

I'm just curious, and maybe I missed something, but how is everyone certain that they had Podkolzin at 8? Benning said himself himself in his interview right after the pick that Podz was a top 5 talent in this draft. 

Seems to me the only reason he fell to the Canucks is because of the 2 year contract in the KHL but, like Benning also mentioned, everyone that was left would've been 2-3 years from making it anyways so it just made sense to take a top 5 talent at 10th.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Podkolzin has way more skill in his left foot than Booth and Virtanen

Yet in a deep draft Virtanen was ranked 5th.  The aftermath is always easy to criticize.  At the time no difference.