The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Patrick Marleau, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick to Hurricanes for 2020 6th-round pick

I agree with weaponizing our cap.  If a conditional first is what it takes for a team to get out of a one year bad contract, the Nucks should be reaching out to other desperate cash strapped teams to see if they are interested   The longer the contract the more it would cost.  As for Loui we have the option of trading one bad contract for another which Toronto doesn't have because they have to shed salary.

27 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I read it perfectly fine.

You were trying to paint aquilini in a negative light and rumor mongering.  You just pulled out "aquilini must have said no" out of your ass.   Maybe Santa claus and his elves told Jim no.  See, I can make up random baseless **** too.

Nope. Wrong again. Nice try though. I wasn’t throwing Aqua under the bus. Just throw an idea out there. Nothing wrong with that. Never said it was fact. Never said it was rumour. Just thought it could be a possibility. You don’t think so. That’s fine. Next time come up with your point of view that doesn’t attach someone else. You can argue to an opposite opinion with out attitude. 

Next time try something like.... I don’t believe Aqua Man would do that. He’s always been generous in the past. I believe he would give Jim full ability to spend money to gain assets. 

That would be more constructive. 

Good Luck, moving forward. 

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

benning should be doing stuff like this  wander wat vegas will give us for clarkson or wings for any their bad contracts  i want a few extra 2nd rounders today 

Jim said he's going to be active in the UFA market and may need cap for trades. He's focused on improving our Defense. The idea of 'weaponizing cap space' (a term that has become an over used cliche lol), won't work for us now at the stage we're at. There's a reason he's not making these deals, he needs the financial flexibility this year.

49 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is a good 6M dollar investment for Carolina, Alf

IMO, we at CDC have to be a lot more vocal on supporting these types of deals

The Radio's then talk about it

and Aqualini and Benning hear about the support...……….

Can't say it will make it happens, but it improves the odds

Teams are respond to their fan bases

should we be drafting in the same manner?

have you looked at cdc preferences in a recent thread posted here ?

nucks should operate according to some sort of democracy ?  really??

i say hire the skilled people with expertise and let them do their job

placate the fan base with words as required

you are very silly in your approach

it's aquaman's business, let him run it professionally

• Cheers 1

It’s starting to feel like Benning just isn’t smart or savvy enough to pull off these kinds of deals.

We’ve been begging/waiting for him to relieve cap for teams in exchange for picks for years now and he hasn’t delivered. 

54 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

It’s starting to feel like Benning just isn’t smart or savvy enough to pull off these kinds of deals.

We’ve been begging/waiting for him to relieve cap for teams in exchange for picks for years now and he hasn’t delivered. 

i agree we have the cap space, I rather take on a cap hit for a 1st that you could then turn into say JT miller than go take that cap $ and over pay Myers...JB trying to save his job by spending and hoping for a playoff appearance next year imo.  GM's never look long term they dont have that security its about winning as soon as you can

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

i agree we have the cap space, I rather take on a cap hit for a 1st that you could then turn into say JT miller than go take that cap $ and over pay Myers...JB trying to save his job by spending and hoping for a playoff appearance next year imo.  GM's never look long term they dont have that security its about winning as soon as you can

Canucks were on their way to playoffs this year before the injuries. I suspect they make playoffs this coming season. Miller will be one of the reasons why. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks were on their way to playoffs this year before the injuries. I suspect they make playoffs this coming season. Miller will be one of the reasons why. 

need better D and hope that Markstrom can play like he did last year. Hope we let him play into next year before we give him an extension this summer. We do also have demko so I wouldnt want to give Marky much term with an extension

I'm guessing that VAN was one of the four teams involved in the Subban talks. The word is that NJD was the only team willing to take on the entire cap hit of Subban's contract. If I'm right - this means JB has a clear plan and it doesn't involve wasting millions by overpaying.

It of course also would mean that he's planning to use the the money elsewhere...

I'm guessing if the conversation happened with Benning he wasn't willing to waste the cap room as he might want to try to sign some players, also the Loungo thing is hanging over his head atm.  If Marleau was willing to play in Van then I'm sure JB would have been all over it.

• Cheers 1