The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade P.K. Subban to Devils for Steven Santini, Jeremy Davies, 2019 2nd-round pick, 2020 2nd-round pick

38 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I wonder if Vancouver was one of the other teams involved. Canucks needed a good D man way more than a top 6 forward. 

Doubt it. If GMJB supposedly wasn't all-in on acquiring him from MTL if it meant having to part with Tanev, I can't see that having changed now. Would've been sweet to have him paired with Hughes, though. 

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I like PK as well but that’s a good point.  We aren’t good/established enough to take on a potential distraction like that just yet, especially since he really doesn’t fit the current group.

Subban's not "hard working" enough for you? If he's "a potential distraction", doesn't that actually say far more about the mindset and focus of whoever allows themselves to be distracted by him than it does about him

And, when you can name me who amongst the current crop of Canucks defencemen that is "good/established enough" at his level, you be sure to get back to me. Your mentality is exactly why this franchise and, in part, its fanbase (CDC'rs) will never win a Stanley Cup: too busy and concerned with filling out the roster with good little boys whom you can bring home to meet the grandparents. Anyone who is outside of that is considered "a potential distraction" whom CDC'rs hope lands elsewhere if/when said player becomes available. But, hey, have fun rooting for Tanev again next season in between the inevitable IR stints. Maybe Hutton will toss your kid a stick, too. 

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

This is a trade that wouldnt have happened if teams weren't scared that the cap is going down (in terms of the return). See the Marleau trade

Let's count the number of armchair hockey scouts in this forum who swear it happened because of Subban's "locker room presence" and "big personality" or whatever else they can come up with. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Subban's not "hard working" enough for you? If he's "a potential distraction", doesn't that actually say far more about the mindset and focus of whoever allows themselves to be distracted by him than it does about him

And, when you can name me who amongst the current crop of Canucks defencemen that is "good/established enough" at his level, you be sure to get back to me. Your mentality is exactly why this franchise and, in part, its fanbase (CDC'rs) will never win a Stanley Cup: too busy and concerned with filling out the roster with good little boys whom you can bring home to meet the grandparents. Anyone who is outside of that is considered "a potential distraction" whom CDC'rs hope lands elsewhere if/when said player becomes available. But, hey, have fun rooting for Tanev again next season in between the inevitable IR stints. Maybe Hutton will toss your kid a stick, too. 

I was actually commenting on our fledgling young core / leadership group not being similar in personality to Subban.  

Adding him does risk rocking the boat. While I’m confident we’re moving forward, having personalities clash in the locker room is the last thing this club needs right now, especially if we start losing. 

One of the major bonuses to JB’s tenure here as GM is how solid the room appears to be.  

I think he pursued Subban anyways and his level of play likely outweighed any locker room risk, but it’s still a valid point that he did come with a bit of concern from that lens.

I think “big personality” types are great on winning teams with established leadership groups.  They become a risk when things go sour.  (Or they jump ship like Kesler.)

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I was actually commenting on our fledgling young core / leadership group not being similar in personality to Subban.  

Adding him does risk rocking the boat. While I’m confident we’re moving forward, having personalities clash in the locker room is the last thing this club needs right now, especially if we start losing. 

One of the major bonuses to JB’s tenure here as GM is how solid the room appears to be.  

I think he pursued Subban anyways and his level of play likely outweighed any locker room risk, but it’s still a valid point that he did come with a bit of concern from that lens.

I think “big personality” types are great on winning teams with established leadership groups.  They become a risk when things go sour.  (Or they jump ship like Kesler.)

What proof do you have that it was Subban-as-locker-room-risk that ultimately drove GMJB in another direction? You don’t think cap hit had anything to do with that? Especially since they’re already overpaying Tanev and just re-upped with Edler. 

And, exactly what Kesler-like ship-jumping skills has Subban ever displayed? His refusal to sign an offer sheet with another squad while he was with MTL wasn’t sincere?

1 hour ago, Fakename70 said:

What proof do you have that it was Subban-as-locker-room-risk that ultimately drove GMJB in another direction? You don’t think cap hit had anything to do with that? Especially since they’re already overpaying Tanev and just re-upped with Edler. 

And, exactly what Kesler-like ship-jumping skills has Subban ever displayed? His refusal to sign an offer sheet with another squad while he was with MTL wasn’t sincere?

I don't have any proof because I wasn't saying that.  I was actually trying to say JB likely kicked the tires because PK's talent is worth any risk to the locker room.

It's me who is fine with not landing him and it's just based on my general idea about when to add big personality players.  I really don't know much about PK at all beyond his general reputation.

Poile started his conference on the trade by saying "The first thing I want to say is that how good P.K. was for the Predators, both on and off the ice".  He says "he was great on the ice and was even more fabulous off the ice".  Talks of how he sells the game, his energy/positivity and his charitable work.

From yesterday in Vancouver:  https://www.nhl.com/predators/video/poile-discusses-subban-trade/t-277437416/c-68543203

Martin Brodeur tells Montreal media that they also made the trade for his personality.

He was specifically asked if they had any concerns and they think he's going to be a great fit.  Aside from what he brings on the ice he also mentions his marketing power.

The Rangers are their closest rivals with NY just a hop away.  Both teams are ready to take the next step.

Interesting that the Preds wanted Gaudette:

Leafs were one of three in on Subban

Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet: Believe that the Maple Leafs, Devils and Canucks were in on P.K. Subban at the end. The Predators wanted Adam Gaudette on a Canucks deal. Got the sense that the Maple Leafs went hard after Subban and believes that they were the team the Predators GM David Poile was waiting on.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Interesting that the Preds wanted Gaudette:

Leafs were one of three in on Subban

Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet: Believe that the Maple Leafs, Devils and Canucks were in on P.K. Subban at the end. The Predators wanted Adam Gaudette on a Canucks deal. Got the sense that the Maple Leafs went hard after Subban and believes that they were the team the Predators GM David Poile was waiting on.

The more I think about it I wish we would have made the deal.

I could handle seeing Gaudette go even though I like him.  He's not in the top tier of the core.

If you could choose Myers for 6-7mil or Subban for 9 for 3 years.

We could have had a former Norris winner for cheapish.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

The more I think about it I wish we would have made the deal.

I could handle seeing Gaudette go even though I like him.  He's not in the top tier of the core.

If you could choose Myers for 6-7mil or Subban for 9 for 3 years.

We could have had a former Norris winner for cheapish.

I would have made the deal. This to me is a massive mistake.

30 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I would have made the deal. This to me is a massive mistake.

I read Jersey were the only ones willing to take his whole salary.

I think we could have fit him for 3 years, with Luongos recapture it would have made it harder for sure now.

Still would have liked him on our top pairing.

2 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I read Jersey were the only ones willing to take his whole salary.

I think we could have fit him for 3 years, with Luongos recapture it would have made it harder for sure now.

Still would have liked him on our top pairing.

Agreed and I think the salary could be made to work.  Eriksson could have been moved out along with not signing Granlund and moving out a couple smaller pieces.