The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

If nothing else the Canucks gotta move some money at forward 

miller-pettersson-boeser

baertschi-horvat-Pearson 

roussel-sutter-virtanen

schaller-beagle-spooner

eriksson, gaudette

leivo, motte, goldobin and granlund are RFA’s

even after the Miller trade they still one more guy to help score 

Loui is gone.

Spooner to Utica.

Granny, Goldy, Schaller have relatively low cap hits so could perhaps be flipped to teams with cap issues, to swap contracts and take on some short-term salary. 

With the addition of Miller and desire to add a dman, they must certainly have a plan for moving the extra bodies.

31 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Part of it is there will always be automatic outrage whenever a 1st round pick is moved, but also the timing of the Marleau trade.  As a result, a false equivocation has been presumed between two very different situations, same as the false equivocation with the Ottawa acquiring of Duchene.

Apparently a "fair" return for Miller would have been Tampa including their first rounder.

Yup. As a fan, you have to he prepared for something like this, given the state of our franichise. I assumed it would be one or more of Virtanen, Gaudette, Woo, Juolevi, Demko, Dipietro, or Madden that we traded because those are the guys with real value outside of our core 4, but Benning chose to double down on his guys and give up the future 1st. I guess it makes sense, given Benning's contract situation. Other teams may also value our 1st more than those prospects. But you have to give to get and spare parts just wasn't going to get this trade done.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Loui is gone.

Spooner to Utica.

Granny, Goldy, Schaller have relatively low cap hits so could perhaps be flipped to teams with cap issues, to swap contracts and take on some short-term salary. 

With the addition of Miller and desire to add a dman, they must certainly have a plan for moving the extra bodies.

Still some doubt as to whether JB qualifies Goldy and Granny as well.  

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Probably doesn't mean he's gone, but it does mean if he's out again there isn't a gaping hole in the offense.

I get why people are nervous about the first, but JB obviously believes in this core group, we should too, they're pretty awesome 

And they're all the type of guys to play the relentless attacking style, "now with increased heaviness".  The ones drafted today fit that mold very well too, as do others that are coming like Lockwood, Woo, and MacEwen.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

JT Miller is actually pretty durable - he played 82, 82, 82 and 75 games in the last 4 seasons.

Valid point.  Sutter was pretty much an iron man until he joined Canucks.  Guddy was hurt a lot more here as well.

3 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Yeah, not sure if they'd just let them walk though?  Rather doubt it, they can at least qualify them and see if they can find a new home unless they figure there is absolutely no market for them at all.  But some bodies have to go, and they are the obvious candidates.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sonoman said:

They're both NHL players. Ideally, you'd like to bring them back at a number lower than their qualifying offer but you risk losing them to free agency. I can see them letting Granlund go but I think Goldobin gets qualified. There's too much talent there to not give him one more chance.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And they're all the type of guys to play the relentless attacking style, "now with increased heaviness".  The ones drafted today fit that mold very well too, as do others that are coming like Lockwood, Woo, and MacEwen.

They have a very clear idea of the style they want to play and it's been a methodical process to get the right players to do that.  Right now they have a lot of fwds to use to paint that picture, it'll be fun to watch how the roster actually takes shape as JB and Co move guys that don't fit their vision.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

They're both NHL players. Ideally, you'd like to bring them back at a number lower than their qualifying offer but you risk losing them to free agency. I can see them letting Granlund go but I think Goldobin gets qualified. There's too much talent there to not give him one more chance.

Granny is just do versatile.......I think they let Goldy walk and keep Granny and then move him in a deal at some point this season.

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Good trade lol.

Guess that makes me a troll cause finishing your statements will lol makes you a troll. CDC logic here :picard:

lol

doi....dragged into the gutter again...lol

Edited by Pete M

1 hour ago, combover said:

I have no issue with people that think Bennings doing a good job it’s funny that most of them can’t accept fans that don’t like what he’s doing and stand behind what they say. Must be a troll. 

I don’t post on here to get a rise I post my opinion same as you.if some one wants to discuss it great  Don’t like it don’t read it, ignore me, 

want to try to brow beat bully or intimidate with childish name call well I can drop to that level too. 

Let me ask you this 

so for two years most on here have be laughing at the oiliers and lucic and how eriksson is better.

now a rumour surfaces that eriksson for Lucy and those same people now say great what a great move get it done. What changed other than the management said so. 

If someone else is doing your thinking and you blindly follow and change your opinion and beliefs to match and defend almost angrily wouldn’t that make that person your lord or saviour.almost sound like a religious fanatic .. that’s how some on here act with Benning. 

Now chia pet isn’t the worst gm ever and he would be a great addition...lol.really why because he’s a Canucks.

but I’m a troll because I don’t want to trade first rounders, acquire players like Lucy or have a guy that just got fired for being terrible and I stand behind it and defend my position. 

There's  91,567 members on CDC. That's a lot of differing opinions. There's actually only a few that always praise Benning no matter what. There are far more that criticize Benning no matter what and the defenders are usually responding to them.

I think the Lucic backers are probably the same ones who wanted him over Eriksson when he was a UFA. There are also the Eriksson haters who want him gone and somehow think that Lucic would be a better fit. For the record, I'm not one of those.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's unfortunate this move came on the heels of the "Chiarelli joining the Canucks" rumour.  All the usual suspects were already primed for action.

Elaborate.

And also, Chiarelli as a Canucks; what a bizarre rumour...