The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

We  have a good forward group now and JB still has the chance to go after Panarin or Lee in UFA.

On D, I hope JB tries to get C Miller out of Vegas and take Clarkson's dead cap for a relatively cheap price.

Then trade Tanev to TO for Zaitsev and a plus. 

Would give us:

Edler  Miller

Hughes Zaitsev

Hutton (OJ)  Stecher

Schenn (if they can resign)

Much better than this year and a much higher scoring forward group. Still need to dump a bunch of forwards.

Edit: the scary part is JB going hard after Myers in UFA....7 million per for 7 years is scary. But that would cover off the 2nd pairing RHD. The thing I don't like is that, while Myers is big, he plays like he is small. The opposite of Stecher.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Pettersson's production fell off a cliff because he was having to do all the heavy lifting in the defensive zone as well as produce offensively.  Getting Miller as a linemate solves the root cause of your complaint.

Now that I've had time to digest, I don't mind this deal.

No, your premise is false, Horvat still had the same defensive responsibilities as he’d had since Sutter was injured.  That never changed, the thing that changed was not a change in Pettersson’s role - Pettersson admitted as much in confessing that he would be much more prepared for the NHL grind in the coming season. Gaudelle too started the season at 186 lbs and ended up closer to 170. 

Another false premise is your assumption of why I don’t like this deal- I like the player, what I am disturbed by is the potential price. Vancouver is so thin in talent that the loss of a significant player could easily bury this team into the basement of the league and we would be giving up the compensation for our possible ineptitude to a team much better at obtaining and accumulating assets -vis. the Lightning. Vancouver is still at the stage in its rebuild where we should be accumulating picks, not giving them. Crack open and compare the rosters between Tampa and Vancouver - Miller was mostly a FOURTH liner with Tampa. We are potentially giving up a lottery pick and a third for a fourth liner?  See the Marleau deal with Carolina - that should have been our trade - that is how you capitalize on having cap space.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We  have a good forward group now and JB still has the chance to go after Panarin or Lee in UFA.

On D, I hope JB tries to get C Miller out of Vegas and take Clarkson's dead cap for a relatively cheap price.

Would give us:

Edler  Miller

Hughes Zaitsev

Hutton (OJ)  Stecher

Schenn (if they can resign)

Much better than this year and a much higher scoring forward group. Still need to dump a bunch of forwards.

It looks like Schenn is hitting the market, apparently the Canucks and his agent were talking at the draft and no progress.

I like the C.Miller, Barrie, whoever is cheaper to acquire. Risto is being shopped by Buffalo too, i would circle back to see if the price had dropped. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This trade thread hit 100 pages in 11 hours.

I remember the Shinkaruk-Granlund thread had hit 100 pages in 8 hours -- probably a CDC record.

It would have shattered it if we didn't also have the draft threads live lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

According to these charts, JT Miller, who averaged 14:40 of ice time, started in the offensive zone less than half of the time, yet his line generally outshot the opponents line. Also, JT Miller's most common linemates were Cirelli and Killorn.

jt.png

jt2.png

did you know that JB drafted Brisbois a few picks before Cirelli in the 3rd round...after Cirelli as a OHL rookie scored the only two goals in the Memorial Cup Final game...

I was screaming for JB to draft Cirelli...if you want to look for signs that show character and drive....a rookie scoring the only two goals in the Final game is that...Focht me!

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yah..I hate getting a legit top 6 winger.  boohoo :sadno:

That being said, J.T Miller is a Canuck, and I'll be rooting for him.

But man, like what @ForsbergTheGreat said, we coulda just got someone like him via FA and used the top picks to get someone like Barrie or another defenseman, an area we need more help on. 

At the end of the day, I don't enjoy on $&!#ting our players as much as I've been vocal about this trade. I want Miller to prove me wrong and make me eat $&!#. He's entering his prime years, I would think playing with Petey or Bo and routinely getting 1st line minutes will probably increase his scoring.

All I have to say. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I’m happy getting Miller but when the Canucks make the playoffs in 2020, Canucks first draft pick will be 2nd round in the 50s unless we can pick up an earlier pick. 2020 is suppose to be a super talented draft class. So I’m not sure how to feel.

but it’s funny pre draft  I was thinking future Canucks team as a small skilled team. Now I see Canucks bigger and just as skilled which is needed for the playoffs. The more I think about it and watch Podkolzin, the more I’m excited because Canucks are adding Playoff grit. I do see Canucks having a more realistic Cup run happening sooner and Toronto will be crying. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

No, your premise is false, Horvat still had the same defensive responsibilities as he’d had since Sutter was injured.  That never changed, the thing that changed was not a change in Pettersson’s role - Pettersson admitted as much in confessing that he would be much more prepared for the NHL grind in the coming season. Gaudelle too started the season at 186 lbs and ended up closer to 170. 

I'm not saying the line was deployed in a defensive role.  I'm saying Pettersson was the main defensive presence on that line.  Having a linemate who is also strong defensively and can get the puck can only help with lessening the energy EP40 has to expend.

• Upvote 1

I don't like this trade,it's smells of desperation. Considering the Cap circumstances in TB, Benning should have come out on top and not pay have to pay fair value. I believe, he paid too heavy a price. If Canucks make the the playoffs because of adding JT Miller, then fine. But no need to give up a 3rd round pick. Overpaid. But if we don't make the playoffs, or Miller does not live up to expectation then we are in big trouble. The first round draft pick in 2021 would be very valuable.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This trade thread hit 100 pages in 11 hours.

I remember the Shinkaruk-Granlund trade thread had hit 100 pages in 8 hours -- probably a CDC record.

That was one epic thread and it's always to go back in and relive it.  This one's pretty solid, but the shink-granny thread had more bang for the buck!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Not so keen on that, considering we're stuck with him for that many years.  Rather retain on Tanev for the year and get value elsewhere, and sign a RD placeholder, with hopefully Rafferty and Woo showing enough promise to be ready in a year or two.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1