The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

I have not posted for some time. At first I was very upset with giving up a first round pick. I feel we could have given up slightly less and this would have been an awesome trade. I actually real like Benning and trust his judgement when it comes to drafting. The trades scare me. The free agent signings scare me. Only time will tell but if we don't make the playoffs this trade will really suck. 

I am warming up to the trade as it comes with good contractual value and Miller can be moved for assets. Miller is what we need and that won't come cheap. Plus if we give up a pick in the 20+ range it is a good trade. My guess is that they spend to the cap and that will change the defence. Should be exciting hockey next year and for years to come.

Now Benning has to trade some of our players and get a decent return! Unlikely is my guess...

1 hour ago, TheRocket18 said:
if  miller cannot crack 70 on the PP with stamkos, kucherov, Hedman and point... he won’t do that with Vancouver. He even played on wings of point and stamkos most of the year. Not happening.
You clearly don't know how the Tampa PP operated if you think he should've been scoring more on there. He was played below the goal line and was tasked with doing all the puck retrievel behind the net and in the corners. He got the puck passed it to either Stamkos or Kucherov depending on which half wall they were on, they went to Hedman who them went to either Stamkos or Kucherov for the one timer. So Miller did the dirty work but got no points because he was the 3rd to touch the puck. He did set up Point in the slot a lot so if you have a net front guy he'll find them. 

He hardly played on Points wing at all. He was with Stamkos some but only when Palat was injured. Cooper wanted his guys, Johnson and Palat, in the top 6 so Miller was left with bottom 6 duty. When he played with Stamkos and Kucherov after being traded for he put up 18 points in 19 games, so the potential to produce with good players is there.

I hope people read this. One of the major issues of the EP-BB line was puck retrieval (with skill). Boeser has never been the greatest at this and EP would do it, but he often was the only one. By adding another decent PP guy also will push someone to the 2nd unit to make it more threatening.

• Cheers 1

This trade is the result of the Canucks trying to compete last 4 years instead of embracing a rebuild.

If we'd been acquiring draft picks then losing a 1st and 3rd wouldn't be a problem today, we probably would of had prospects to deal instead of picks as well to keep the pipeline going.  

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

I'm never a big fan of trading first round draft picks, but I've always accepted you need to give quality to get quality.

It's kinda funny reading people just howl over it. Miller will have an immediate impact, the 10-32 pick in 2021 won't make an impact for 3 years, if ever.

We've needed a heavy, skilled, top 6 LW for YEARS. We finally trade for one, manage to keep all of our prospects and people wanna cry about a 10-32 OA pick.

Boohoo

I like this move by JB. Go get us a legit RD.

Let's win some &^@#ing games dammit!

Better yet, it's a 17-32 pick if we make the playoffs this year.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

This trade is the result of the Canucks trying to compete last 4 years instead of embracing a rebuild.

If we'd been acquiring draft picks then losing a 1st and 3rd wouldn't be a problem today, we probably would of had prospects to deal instead of picks as well to keep the pipeline going.  

:bored:

if only we’d followed your hero and signed Marleau then traded him with a 1st and a 7th for a 6th.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I still think there is a deal to be made with a cap strapped team for a good "D" man (key word is "good")

Hope we have another Miller (Colin) coming our way with the surplus of forwards to help out the right-side D group.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That mic’d up was great, Stamkos was hilarious too. 

JT needs to really work on his shot. (from that clip)

Like really really. Benning should tell him to work with Brock.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Why would a cap strapped team deal a good D man?  They can deal a middle 6 forward and get a 1st and 3rd in return instead.  

a cap strapped team with young "D" prospects ready to step in, who have a lower cap hit....

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Well if we miss the playoffs next year Tampa has to wait another year for that pick. Next year Tryamkin's KHL contract expires and he can return. Do you like our chances better with him on the back end for the following year? And all of this ignores possible ufa additions, more prospects possibly surprising, and other possible trades that can improve the team even further.

I see it as a pretty decent deal considering Tampa has to wait up to two years to get that pick. 

I would like our chances better but I still don’t think we are deep enough. Call me ultra conservative but the uncertainty of a lottery pick makes me extremely nervous. 

Now if we were an actual cup contender, a trade like this would make a lot more sense. 

• Upvote 1

Alright, so I don't mind this too much, and depending on what other moves are made, I could end up being quite happy with it. It's definitely a statement trade, either we make the playoffs or Benning's time here will be done here. If we're stacking up now, there's no more excuses to tank. But since we did give up one of our biggest trade pieces outside our top players, will this mean that we will be going for D in free agency? If that's the case, I feel like there's a good chance Gardiner will be the target, just because I feel Winnipeg's going to try their best to keep Myers.

Also, are we going to actually get rid of Eriksson, or just waive him after preseason? Because I really don't think there's room for him now.