The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

59 minutes ago, khay said:

Basically, what he is saying is that if we make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021, then the cost is fair since it's JT Miller for mid-late first + 3rd.

On the flip side, if we miss the playoffs in both of those years and the pick we give up in 2021 turns out to be a top 10 pick, we lose the trade. If it turns out to be a top 5 pick or a lottery pick, then we lose big. 

JT Miller is certainly a good addition to the team. But I don't like this type of trade that depends on team's future performance as it brings way too much uncertainty. It's like one of those financial derivatives (i.e., call/put options).

Some fans are mad because of the risk factor. Look at Ottawa, they were within one game of SCF, so they traded for Duchene to help them over the top. Well they got to pick 4th overall in two consecutive years and one of those 4th overall isn't going to be playing for them.

There is no denying that this was a bit of a desperation move by JB to try and improve the roster now. His job is on the line and really, the only tradable assets that can get us a top 6F/top 4D are future 1st rounders. I understand the move, but I don't like the risk. 

Now, I hope JB can sign Panarin and get us a top 4D and for his sake, EP, Boeser, and Hughes take a huge step forward as well as JV, Gaud, and Juolevi. If we make the playoffs, this risk will have been worth it.

Canuck luck tells us we are going to do what NJ did. Scrape into the playoffs next year and win the lottery in 2021. 

‘But let’s be optimistic. We are only giving up a 3rd and the 31st next year. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Imagine if they now lock Boeser in to a long term/reasonable hit? He might see JB's aggressive play as the aforementioned vote of confidence(in young core) & try to throw his full weight/effort behind this direction. Edler's signing too, might foster confidence/commitment from everyone to pull on the rope 110%.

One thing's certain..personally maintaining a wide ****ing berth away from HFboards for the summer(at least). Those hating posers are insufferable.

That would be great.  If he can manage Boeser at less then 7 x 7 it would be a team friendly deal.  I don’t go on the other boards...heard bad things about them...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So far it'll be interesting to see who slots in where, but I think it'd be smart for Green to mix up the gritty players amongst the skilled ones.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Baertschi

Roussel - Sutter - Leivo

Virtanen - Granlund - Eriksson

Gaudette

Obviously a lot of changes that could still happen, I think Miller could easily play 3C and we trade Sutter and ideally Eriksson as well but they'll be tricky trades to make.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

That would be great.  If he can manage Boeser at less then 7 x 7 it would be a team friendly deal.  I don’t go on the other boards...heard bad things about them...

I only lurk(occasionally) on rainy days. It's a CNN comparable level of info/opinion

• Haha 1

The condition on the 1st is a clever one. If we still suck next season and get a top pick it's ours and surely the following season we'll be strong enough to have that 1st round pick in the 20-30 region. If we miraculously make the playoffs next season it'll be partly thanks to Miller for sure in which case I'm happy to spend a 20th-ish overall pick. This pick is more than just a hockey player trade, the conditions tell us that JB values us making the playoffs next year for the young core to develop in a winning environment. Not happy with the amount, but happy with the direction. I expect a few more deals, ideally move one of Sutter or really Eriksson then a UFA signing. Our defence is still one or two top-4 guys short of a playoff defence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

So far it'll be interesting to see who slots in where, but I think it'd be smart for Green to mix up the gritty players amongst the skilled ones.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Baertschi

Roussel - Sutter - Leivo

Virtanen - Granlund - Eriksson

Gaudette

Obviously a lot of changes that could still happen, I think Miller could easily play 3C and we trade Sutter and ideally Eriksson as well but they'll be tricky trades to make.

Guessing it's more likely Eriksson will retire in Moomin Village. Dude gets his dirty $, bonus cash-grab, & he'll be punted!

Miller - EP - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Jake

Baer - Gaud/Sutter - Motte

Leivo - Beagle - MacEwen

is Rous ready to go in the Fall?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This trade thread hit 100 pages in 11 hours.

I remember the Shinkaruk-Granlund trade thread had hit 100 pages in 8 hours -- probably a CDC record.

Wouldn’t the Hodgson trade have almost doubled that? I’m pretty sure that was the most shrill cdc has ever been.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guessing it's more likely Eriksson will retire in Moomin Village. Dude gets his dirty $, bonus cash-grab, & he'll be punted!

Miller - EP - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Jake

Baer - Gaud/Sutter - Motte

Leivo - Beagle - MacEwen

is Rous ready to go in the Fall?

If there are no further additions to the forwards, it will be interesting to see who fills that 2RW spot. Can Jake progress this off-season and be ready to go? Do we put Baer there as he has chemistry with Bo and he has played RW before (with the twins)? Would Leivo be a better fit? Goldobin provides playmaking skills? Surely Eriksson is gone...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The condition on the 1st is a clever one. If we still suck next season and get a top pick it's ours and surely the following season we'll be strong enough to have that 1st round pick in the 20-30 region. If we miraculously make the playoffs next season it'll be partly thanks to Miller for sure in which case I'm happy to spend a 20th-ish overall pick. This pick is more than just a hockey player trade, the conditions tell us that JB values us making the playoffs next year for the young core to develop in a winning environment. Not happy with the amount, but happy with the direction. I expect a few more deals, ideally move one of Sutter or really Eriksson then a UFA signing. Our defence is still one or two top-4 guys short of a playoff defence.

Good biopsy of conditions.   LE is assuredly on his way out, I’m a little nervous at what cost though..Sutter i don’t think will be going anywhere, if he’s injured again he’s virtually impossible to trade, if not the team will want him for the playoff push...same goes with Tanev with the exception we could find something for him but it won’t be worth his value to the team. 

As far as the defense go I completely agree except we could still make it with them, Hughes is a huge upgrade over Pouilet, and sad to say Schenn seems to be an upgrade on Gudbranson (at least on our team).   He’s more willing to muck it up and so far is a better defensive defenseman too.   It’s a definite possibility that we can make the playoffs with it the way it is right now.  

Long term if OJ works out things won’t be that bad.   Just missing a top four RHD...sign Myers and problem solved.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Hypothetically, no team will give up what we gave to get Miller because we paid a premium which looks to be a lottery pick 2 years down the road. 

The Canucks are the worst team record wise over the past 4 years so the onus is on the Canucks to prove they can become a playoff team and not give Tampa what atm looks to be a lottery pick.....not the other way around which is what people have to understand here.

Hypothetically....hypothetically... This is what this is all about... maybes, ifs and buts... JB is damned if does and damned if he don't...

Hypothetically we could miss out on the best player to ever walk on the earth, only for him to have a car crash and lose both legs, god forbid... Nobody knows jack $&!# about what happens next, and neither does Benning. He just does, what he can to improve the team.

Do I think he is on the clock from management... yes of course he is on the clock from management, just like any other manger in the league. 

Do I think management believes in, what Benning is doing, Yes I think they do, cause otherwise he'd be gone after no playoffs in 4 years... How many other teams gives their manager more time to properly rebuild their team....

Will they give him another 4-8 year hoping for him to eventually be lucking in the draft? No I don't think so... Unless we are challenging seriously for a playoff position in the next two years, I think, he will be history. And Benning knows that himself... 

He has been drafting wisely, and now is the time to assemble a team that can start the push.

If Juolevi can get up to speed this season and maybe Woo next (Trym would still be interesting), this team is challenging for a play offs berth... Which is a hell more likely than us drafting in the top 3 in two years time.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Great post.   Got to admit I was in shock when I heard the trade and it took some time and some research for it to soak it.  Don’t see JT Miller a lot so for a lot us including me he’s a bit of an unknown.   Knew TB coveted him when they picked him up though...seemed like a guy that would help push them over the top.  And he’s helped them do that for sure.   To me we’ve added another Horvat type that can move around where he’s needed....that’s worth a first and a third every time.   What would we want back if we traded Horvat in a year or two ?  Similar sIze, game (both have clutch abilities and leadership qualities) and stats.   Probably a lot more then we paid for JT Miller, I’ve heard he’s worth a number one RHD many times on the CDC. 

We cant build a team just through the draft, just ask EDM and they had what five first overalls? 

If Bennings done for now then we know he’s steering the boat towards a modest improvement but likely another lottery ticket next season.  If he continues and switches his attention to our defense next then we know he’s working towards improving our team at an accelerated rate now, to take the most advantage he can during  Hughes, EP, Boesers and Horvats second contract window as that’s when he will have the most cap space with this core.  

Wait three years from now sure we will continue to have a steady stream of quality guys coming in but we’d also not be creating the best environment for them to succeed ala EDM and wasting some of their early prime etc.

Like your comments on what Horvat must think about this....he’s going to take a lot of pressure off the entire top six and the team for that matter.   For now I’d like to see him on the LW to help or first line...sure every guy on the team is stoked too.

Once Podz arrives our top six will be sick...somehow Benning did it one more time, and this time at 10th.  A possession wizard as he “gets you” if you have the puck either takes it away or forces a bad play on their part.  One source called him a “lion” because of how he plays the game.   Our top six is going to be very, very difficult to play against in a couple years. 

Fear and upset has turned to excitement for this fan over the trade, don’t think this will do anything but help the team make the next step, keeps the cap structure in great shape too.

Bingo Ibatch... hammer meets nail.

Love you comparing it to Bo... Ask all the whiners, if they would ship out BH for that deal... 

Should we not be able to reach the ultimate goal, or seriously contending within three years, the players on our team will be young enough to give huge returns, should we need to go in another direction.

This is the difference fro when Benning entered the building. He had nothing of value to ship out in order to speed up the rebuild.

Our main assets then were all under NTC's and getting older...

In three years time Miller will be 28/29 with 1 year left on a 5,5 contract. If he play up to his present standard, that should easily bring back a first if a bit of salary is retained at TDL, so it is the right trade to be had if Benning were to trade for anything. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Energy!

One down. Now it's time to wine and dine Tyler Myers!

Nice,

I'll have a bit of that thank you... Exactly what Petey and Brock needs on their line.... or any line really... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Canuck luck tells us we are going to do what NJ did. Scrape into the playoffs next year and win the lottery in 2021. 

‘But let’s be optimistic. We are only giving up a 3rd and the 31st next year. 

I hope so too. That way, we give up 2020 1st to TBL and draft a top talent for ourselves in 2021.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1