The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I challenge to do the math again. I ignored it the first time you posted this but the fact that you keep posting it shows you don’t understand. There’s one important piece you keep missing.... I believe in you.. you will figure it out. 

Like I said. Some people get a high stewing over the leafs. “What will they do with their cap. They are so screwed, might as well drop out of the league entirely”.

....Hey that is fun. 

If you're referring to Horton, that's still not going to save them.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That Tavares signing is really looking ill-conceived now.  Someone here had said just that when it happened, but it's become more obvious now.  Problem is, Dubas seems to be following Lou in not addressing the real needs of the team, for whatever reason.  The hole that's been there for the last couple years has suddenly yawned into a cavern. 

Um, they are four dmen short of a starting NHL defense, and don't have the cap to fill it with quality, even without Marner.  Muzzin and Reilly are the only two NHLers on their roster that will be there opening night.  Maybe they need to explore a trade for Marner's rights now in a sign and trade, and avoid him being offer-sheeted and all they get are picks?

As soon as they didn't trade Nylander last year, they screwed up. Acquiescing to his salary demands only made it worse.

It's not un-fixable but it's not good.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They have the same top 4 they bowed out of the playoffs with - minus their best defenseman in the playoffs = Hainsey.

How do you propose they upgrade on Hainsey with no cap space?

And are you suggesting that Gardiner is addition by subtraction - because they're losing him as well.

Otherwise it's a cool story.

Zaitsev is a contending top 4 - that's also a cool part of your story.

What part of they are one shut down D away, does not make sense to you.  

I seriously don’t know how you take what I said and equate that to going back with the same D core?  Oldnews time hasn’t been good to you. 

How could they improve?  Guess they are now forced to not make anymore transactions from here on out.  Cool story. 

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They have the same top 4 they bowed out of the playoffs with - minus their best defenseman in the playoffs = Hainsey.

How do you propose they upgrade on Hainsey with no cap space?

And are you suggesting that Gardiner is addition by subtraction - because they're losing him as well.

Otherwise it's a cool story.

Zaitsev is a contending top 4 - that's also a cool part of your story.

Is Zaitsev kind of like Hutton?  I wonder if the Leafs would let him just walk if they could, like we're doing with Hutton?

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard an insider this morning say the Avs are in on Marner.  Could be very interesting come July 1.  Leafs would have to match that. 

The Leafs should be trying to make a trade as opposed to being forced into offer-sheet dynamics - of matching or picks.

Other teams smell blood in the water - and it it's only enhanced by Dubas' mishandling of the drawn out Nylander situation, and the snowball effect of caving at the last hour like he did.

They've shown a tendency to spend like school kids who just got their allowance - but then not having the wisdom to be proactive when they are approaching difficult situations.

They need to make a trade - like yesterday.  Like last year.  LIke every deadline.

They've needed to make additions to their blueline for years - but instead they did things like rent Brian Boyle or Plekanec - and the irony - the year they actually needed to add a depth center at the deadline (last year, when Bozak was gone) they traded Par Lindholm at the deadline.  Tavares and Marner wound up -9 in the playoffs because they became the Leafs inadequate shutdown line.

They get itchy/hasty whenever they have cap to spend - and they idle like a deer in the headlights when they need to be proactive.

Just get out ahead of it for once and make a gd proactive trade.

Hey Chayka - what will you give us for Matthews.

At least when you're talking to Chayka you're talking to a GM that doesn't necessarily exercise his leverage (ie the Datsyuk dump he took for nothing, letting Holland off the hook).

One kid genius to another, help us out here Chayka.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As soon as they didn't trade Nylander last year, they screwed up. Acquiescing to his salary demands only made it worse.

It's not un-fixable but it's not good.

To make matters worse Dubas publicly gave his word that he wouldn't trade Nylander. Not only did he cave to crazy demands salary wise but he also gave a NTC to a player that legally couldn't be given one. The other GMs must have been choked!

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What part of they are one shut down D away, does not make sense to you.  

I seriously don’t know how you take what I said and equate that to going back with the same D core?  Oldnews time hasn’t been good to you.

your weak chirp game implying I'm too old to get your plan is ironic. considering your blue koolaid perspective of their blueline and the fact you've done nothing to qualify the absurd claim that they are 1 shutdown D from 'really contending'.    That is loopy as hell wadr.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

To make matters worse Dubas publicly gave his word that he wouldn't trade Nylander. Not only did he cave to crazy demands salary wise but he also gave a NTC to a player that legally couldn't be given one. The other GMs must have been choked!

If nothing else it's going to be very interesting in LeafLand.  Dubas certainly has himself in a deep pit, can he dig himself out?  If not, I have to wonder how long until the locals start turning on him.  The Marleau trade has helped, but just look at the cost.  Seems he came in perhaps a little too cocksure, and he won't be able to blame it all on Lou either.

2 minutes ago, Talon71 said:

So, where do we discuss the Canuck trade again?  

good point.

I've had my fun with the Leafs self-inflicted crisis.

But in fairness, we did spend about 150 pages on the Miller deal already haha.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Zaitsev kind of like Hutton?  I wonder if the Leafs would let him just walk if they could, like we're doing with Hutton?

they would love to.  but Zaitsev has 5 years and 22.5 million of cap left.

they're desperately trying to move him - and look at all the takers.

he's a cap dump, period.

they try to posture in their media that they might get a moderate return for him - as they always do - raising the hopes and expectations of that fan base.

• Upvote 1

Just now, oldnews said:

they would love to.  but Zaitsev has 5 years and 22.5 million of cap left.

they're desperately trying to move him - and look at all the takers.

he's a cap dump, period.

they try to posture in their media that they might get a moderate return for him - as they always do - raising the hopes and expectations of that fan base.

I wonder if the Leafs will trade Zaitsev, and retain 2 million of his salary?  Then he's paid more like a bottom pair guy.  How about Hutton for Zaitsev (2 million retained)?  Then the Leafs don't have to qualify Hutton,and save almost 3 million to pay another forward.  :frantic:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if the Leafs will trade Zaitsev, and retain 2 million of his salary?  Then he's paid more like a bottom pair guy.  How about Hutton for Zaitsev (2 million retained)?  Then the Leafs don't have to qualify Hutton,and save almost 3 million to pay another forward.  :frantic:

Dubie might have to keep Zaitsav the way things are going. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ouch is right. There gunna have to get Hainsey on a sweetheart deal to even salvage a decent defence.

Atleast they have Sandin & Liljegren coming, tho I dont know if Liljegren will even be a player.

Yeah, last I'd heard they don't think they're ready yet.  Sandin is projecting to be a much better prospect at this point, too.  The Leafs are going to be dumpster-diving in free agency to plug up the holes, just to ice an opening-night roster, like the Oilers did last year with their forwards.

• Cheers 1

...and in the meantime, how much better does our cap situation look?  Even if we do ink Myers for big money we're still looking good.  Miller gives us a top-6 forward without losing anyone from the roster, and hopefully dumping Loui after July 1st frees up the cap just spent so we break even.  Seems a better way to spend cap, as opposed to tying up millions for a first round pick.  Then again, what if Toronto ends up heading back to the lottery :o

Lots of bodies up front suddenly.

Miller - Pete - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson

---

Schaller - Gaudette - Goldobin

Motte - Granlund-  Spooner

Then ideally we'd being in a UFA T6F, & give MacEwen a shot at the bottom 6 in training camp.

Lots of stuff there, but still not overflowing with quality. Gunna have to move some bodies out, hopefully starting with Eriksson.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

your weak chirp game implying I'm too old to get your plan is ironic. considering your blue koolaid perspective of their blueline and the fact you've done nothing to qualify the absurd claim that they are 1 shutdown D from 'really contending'.    That is loopy as hell wadr.

This has zero to do with a plan and 100% to do with your understanding of basic English. 

Me implying they are one D away does not equate to me saying they can go back with the same D core and are set. It means they still are “missing” one piece.

Now I have better things to do in my day then dumb down a statement to your level.

• Wat 1

40 minutes ago, Talon71 said:

So, where do we discuss the Canuck trade again?  

Miller is ethically intense..   that type of game can become infectious in a room and on the ice.

This is a bold move by Benning..  the right one for an injection of character above everything else this player brings.

• Upvote 1