The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

...and in the meantime, how much better does our cap situation look?  Even if we do ink Myers for big money we're still looking good.  Miller gives us a top-6 forward without losing anyone from the roster, and hopefully dumping Loui after July 1st frees up the cap just spent so we break even.  Seems a better way to spend cap, as opposed to tying up millions for a first round pick.  Then again, what if Toronto ends up heading back to the lottery :o

If leafs had to pay a first to dump marleau contract for one year. What makes you think Eriksson going to be any easier. 

Canucks are yet to sign EP, Boeser and Hughes which could easily add another 20-25 million to our books. We also have to extend him marky. If we throw 7-8 at a middle pairing guy like Myers our cap doesn’t look that good anymore. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If leafs had to pay a first to dump marleau contract for one year. What makes you think Eriksson going to be any easier. 

Canucks are yet to sign EP, Boeser and Hughes which could easily add another 20-25 million to our books. We also have to extend him marky. If we throw 7-8 at a middle pairing guy like Myers our cap doesn’t look that good anymore. 

Didn't say it would be easier, but we also aren't in the bind Toronto is.  We can keep Eriksson for the entire term if need be, but the situation now with his comments and such have greased the skids on him moving out, and his agent will also assist in that process.  Sure, we might have to give up something to move him or take something ugly-ish back, but I highly doubt Benning would fork over a 1st (and can't really now anyway) just to do so.  Who knows, maybe tag a 2nd or one of the other low-salary value guys like Granlund or Motte.  Especially for tightwad teams, $3mil per isn't bad at all for a guy who can still play.

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lots of bodies up front suddenly.

Miller - Pete - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson

---

Schaller - Gaudette - Goldobin

Motte - Granlund-  Spooner

Then ideally we'd being in a UFA T6F, & give MacEwen a shot at the bottom 6 in training camp.

Lots of stuff there, but still not overflowing with quality. Gunna have to move some bodies out, hopefully starting with Eriksson.

I agree that is the top 12 (give or take), so yep, issue is what to do with the next six

-Granlund: to me is trade bait (or Sutter is trade bait and slip Granlund into the top 12)

-Spooner:  waive

-Gaudette:  start in Utica for now

-Goldobin:  gets a 6 month last chance while Roussel is out

-Schaller/Motte:  competition for 13th forward, waive the other

This assumes everyone is healthy (except Roussel) at the start of the season.   I think they only have to make one trade.  Two, if you want to make room for Gaudette for October.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This has zero to do with a plan and 100% to do with your understanding of basic English. 

Me implying they are one D away does not equate to me saying they can go back with the same D core and are set. It means they still are “missing” one piece.

Now I have better things to do in my day then dumb down a statement to your level.

Let's hypothetically say that you are correct in your assumption that the leafs are 1 top 4 shutdown D away.

What do they trade to get said player? These players dont come cheap and the leafs just tied up their first for the next 2 years. Their prospect cupboards are getting empty so most likely they would have to lose a good player up front to add the the back end.

If they decide to go the UFA route a top 4 shutdown starts at about 4.5 and could go as high as 7. No cap space for that.

Even if you somehow found a top 4 shutdown D with a dirt cheap contract and doesnt require you to lose a good price up front your top 4 dmen would be Reilly, Muzzin and mystery man. You only have 3 top 4 D. That is a step back from last year when you had Hainsey and Gardiner.

• Upvote 2

Actually on the same note ^ because the pick is conditional and could be pushed back to 2021, would they still even be able to use it? They could still offer sheet under 10.5 for the 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd though.

Edit: Nevermind, if it's a 5 year window, then the pick only being in 1 of those should count.

Edited by Ur a Towel
  • Wat 1

40 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Let's hypothetically say that you are correct in your assumption that the leafs are 1 top 4 shutdown D away.

What do they trade to get said player? These players dont come cheap and the leafs just tied up their first for the next 2 years. Their prospect cupboards are getting empty so most likely they would have to lose a good player up front to add the the back end.

If I’m the leafs I’m firstly interested in Tanev. He fits there need. And kapanen becomes trade bait. Reilly is a 70+ point defensemen. Put someone like tanev who players a simple smart game, next to him and that would a solid top pairing D. 

But there are plenty of other options too. 

Hjarmlsson, Larsson, pesce Faulk, Miller vatanen, stralman

If they decide to go the UFA route a top 4 shutdown starts at about 4.5 and could go as high as 7. No cap space for that.

Even if you somehow found a top 4 shutdown D with a dirt cheap contract and doesnt require you to lose a good price up front your top 4 dmen would be Reilly, Muzzin and mystery man. You only have 3 top 4 D. That is a step back from last year when you had Hainsey and Gardiner.

That’s assuming zaitzev isn’t traded? He’s still a 20 minute guy.  Heck even hainsey could come back. They likely bring up Rosen and have dermott play on the right side. Sandin could also make the jump.

53 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Didn't say it would be easier, but we also aren't in the bind Toronto is.  We can keep Eriksson for the entire term if need be, but the situation now with his comments and such have greased the skids on him moving out, and his agent will also assist in that process.  Sure, we might have to give up something to move him or take something ugly-ish back, but I highly doubt Benning would fork over a 1st (and can't really now anyway) just to do so.  Who knows, maybe tag a 2nd or one of the other low-salary value guys like Granlund or Motte. 

We will likely have to give up some value. But even without LE. After our young guns get locked up. Assuming they don’t take discounts, We’d be looking at 40+ locked up by 6 players with Bo being the only real value contract. 

Especially for tightwad teams, $3mil per isn't bad at all for a guy who can still play.

That’s what most thought with marleau who’s only owed 1.25 million after July first and comes with a 6.25 cap hit. Didn’t work out so well. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

So Benning didn't even try to pay less.

Who is this source?  Wild speculation I'm sure.  Man the media out east and around here as well as some fans on CDC.... Just brutal.

Edit: Ian Mac.... Nuf' said.

Edited by Rodishred
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Send Matthews to Arizona - take a trio of vital pieces - a center (Keller?) - a D (Chychrun) and a third piece?   and get on about competing.

Get Arizona to throw in a first rounder, if anything can save hockey in that arena it's hometown kid Mathews.

32 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Ouch. Puts more salt in the wound

Not really.  There was another quote, which I cant find now, which basically said Tampa Bay's heavy preference was to move Killorn or Johnson, however, there was little interest in them and since Miller's NTC hadn't kicked in and there was significantly more interest, he was the one who was ultimately moved.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Didn't say it would be easier, but we also aren't in the bind Toronto is.  We can keep Eriksson for the entire term if need be, but the situation now with his comments and such have greased the skids on him moving out, and his agent will also assist in that process.  Sure, we might have to give up something to move him or take something ugly-ish back, but I highly doubt Benning would fork over a 1st (and can't really now anyway) just to do so.  Who knows, maybe tag a 2nd or one of the other low-salary value guys like Granlund or Motte.  Especially for tightwad teams, $3mil per isn't bad at all for a guy who can still play.

Zach Smith seems the obvious solution to that problem.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If we throw 7-8 at a middle pairing guy like Myers our cap doesn’t look that good anymore. 

I've mentioned this same concern in several different threads and have been completely dismissed.

We're one bad contract full of dollar/term/clauses away from having our own, not insignificant, cap/ED concerns. 

• Upvote 3