Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Another aspect of the Miller deal is how much he will improve the development of the emerging stars, EP, BB and QH. How much does  a younger established vet influence his teammates? Benning has gone from having very few high quality young vets to a much higher level in 4 seasons. Comparing the pros and cons of Miller now versus a 1st rdr maybe making an impact in 4 years is valid but impacts will be felt through the roster. 

• Hydration 2

The amount of hate that day when Benning traded a 1st.

Its gonna be fun.

Real fun.

Just now, Me_ said:

The amount of hate that day when Benning traded a 1st.

Its gonna be fun.

Real fun.

Jim also said they are going to try and add a first at this years draft too. Maybe if we are a good team tho he won't fiddle with the mix.  I thought they meant moving Tanev but if he's a healthy and stable partner for Hughes I'd rather keep him.

• Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Jim also said they are going to try and add a first at this years draft too. Maybe if we are a good team tho he won't fiddle with the mix.  I thought they meant moving Tanev but if he's a healthy and stable partner for Hughes I'd rather keep him.

Add Tryamkin

and Podkolzin 

This is gonna hurt other team real bad.

• Upvote 1

I liked the trade, early-on for a few reasons.

- I called it, with an April proposal to obtain JT Miller( love when Prop-guesses strike iron! )

- Felt we'd obtained 5 1st rounders over these past 2 drafts. Our stellar scouts bought us aggressive gambling clout, with their recent performance.

- As some have mentioned, adds to the depth, thereby enhancing the talent our youth can work with(esp Bo, EP, & AG)

Lastly RFA's have recently been acting a little uppity, in terms of $ demands. As JB pointed out, the past few Cup winners have underscored the necessity of having many capable vets. Too many costly UFA's & overpriced RFA's is a risky gambling endeavour a certain popular eastern team is engaging in. You need lots of guys in the 'mid-range' in terms of age & experience, with locked-in deals at reasonable rates. This lends itself to a balanced, efficient roster.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Add Tryamkin

and Podkolzin 

This is gonna hurt other team real bad.

If that happens Ill wear a damn russia flag to a game, over my Tryamkin jersey of course...

Oh man, this Tryamkin talk...:frantic:  ...he is playing well over there this year too.......:bigblush:

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

8 hours ago, zimmy said:

We can always "build through the draft" but would you agree that its high time we "win with the draft"? In other words  have confidence in the good job done over the past several drafts and allow this encouraging core to win now rather than wilt on the vine waiting for draft picks that won't arrive for two, three, four,  five years in the future? 

I'm not going to stop cheering for the Canucks. Nor am I going to avoid cheering for Miller.  He's here, he's a Canuck, my pom pom's are out!

But its not a deal I would have made.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

- Felt we'd obtained 5 1st rounders over these past 2 drafts. Our stellar scouts bought us aggressive gambling clout, with their recent performance.

What 5 Nux?

8 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Fair enough, thankfully we aren't in GMJB"s shoes.

I cheer for JB as well. Believe he does a very good job. No hate whatsoever...

You never agree with all moves.  Generally the GM outperforms me as a critic. Which I accept. I liked Juolevi.  We were both wrong.  Tkachuk was a miss. I like Pettersson, drafted him in fantasy leagues. We were both right? I wanted to draft Nylander. No comment :lol: 

I never did think Jake was a bad pick though. 

The Canucks are improving. Its a great time to be a Canuck fan!

• Hydration 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What 5 Nux?

QH, Woo, Madden

Podkolzin & Mr Elbows.

There are a number of experts who've said these guys were in their first rd rankings, or (even better) have climbed into that realm, imagining there were a 2018 re-draft.

51 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

QH, Woo, Madden

Podkolzin & Mr Elbows.

There are a number of experts who've said these guys were in their first rd rankings, or (even better) have climbed into that realm, imagining there were a 2018 re-draft.

Hoglander has the elite athleticism. Upside in his skills. Un-guardable speed & strength. I'll buy that.

Woo and Madden are displaying fantastic compete levels. Good results. Can make plays. Good prospects. Coaches will still have plenty of match ups to deploy against them who can handle them physically. Its not the same.. 

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hoglander has the elite athleticism. Upside in his skills. Un-guardable speed & strength. I'll buy that.

Woo and Madden are displaying fantastic compete levels. Good results. Can make plays. Good prospects. Coaches will still have plenty of match ups to deploy against them who can handle them physically. Its not the same.. 

If there were a redraft today(2018 class) are you saying none of the 31 teams would select Woo or Madden 1st round? Admittedly I only watch NHL play over here..but from what I've heard, either of them have been upgraded(based on last season) as worthy late-1st picks.

34 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If there were a redraft today(2018 class) are you saying none of the 31 teams would select Woo or Madden 1st round? Admittedly I only watch NHL play over here..but from what I've heard, either of them have been upgraded(based on last season) as worthy late-1st picks.

THN has Madden 25th among NCAA prospects;

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-100-players-to-watch-for-in-the-ncaa-in-2019-20

They do have Woo as the last top 6 D man for Team Canada. That's at the edge of first round. But not a TC lock;

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/an-early-projection-of-canadas-2020-world-junior-championship-roster

They are currently over achieving their physical gifts. In of its own that is positive. Being compelling physical talents would be better. Madden the more accomplished, doing it against men in NCAA. Bounces off checks with the puck, using his balance and agility. Will remain to be seen if he can do that as a pro. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Woo and Hogs were both predicted to go in the first round at their respective drafts -  Woo had slipped from around 15 at he beginning of he year, injuries furthered his fall to the low 20’s - and of course he slipped right out of the first round at the actual draft.  Hogs was a considered a mid twenties so he didn’t slip as far.

That said the year before Lind was ranked around were Woo was, and slipped and hasn’t lived up to it (yet) and some lists also had JG going near the very end of the first round and the same with him.   The only reason we were able to draft any of these guys at all was because we were lottery teams - doubtful if we made the playoffs they’d still be around by the time it was our turn - unless we used our actual first rounder to nab them in the first place.  

I get what Nux was saying though - it looks like we are hitting on some of our second and third rounders - won’t know for sure for another couple of years.   So far AG, Tree and Demko all have been or are in the show though...

23 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

In the words of the great Rick James that was Cold Blooded

MgtuAZQ.gif

that Chapelle segment is priceless.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Yung1 said:

this guy gets it

Agreed! Love the trade 

A first rounder for a proven NHL player, and with term left.on contract bette then trading a first rounder at trade deadline for a guy who is going to free agency in 4months

I'm going to add a few points about Miller - and his draft position - for perspective.

He was a 15th overall pick - but realistically he was a better pick than many guys taken before him - Ryan Strome at 5, Brodin at 10, Siemens at 11, Murphy at 12, Baertschi and Oleksiak at 13 and 14....and very little comparable talent behind him well into the 2nd round (outliers like Kucherov, Karlsson or Gaudreau imo are not legit players to cite - the entire NHL passed on these players, some teams multiple times - they can't be considered to be potential top 10 picks in anything other than pure, dishonest hindsighting.

Imo Miller is easily a top 10 to 12 player in his draft (including those outliers) - and given the kind of (complete) game he plays, he's arguably a better asset (and even moreso when you look at his contract/terms) - than the vast majority of his draft class.

Compound that with another factor here - the Canucks have this potential franchise player named Pettersson - that you simply don't wait for years to complement with the right wingers = the time to go out and find a heavier, speedy, sizable LW to play with him and Boeser was now.   Anyone that watched the Sedins toil for years with placholders (before Burrows' emergence) might understand the point.

When the opportunity arises - out of a contender swimming in depth, and tight to the cap - you take that opportunity imo. 

What's laughable is the idea that a player like Miller becomes a "cap dump" because of the circumstances in Tampa - that is absurd.

Any deal comes with risk, particularly when you are giving up an unpredictable outcome like a (mid-round?) draft pick - but the calculation of the risk is in looking at the median/average outcome of picks in that range - and it's hard to argue that Miller is not worth that risk.

But I think the underlying thing that a lot of people were whiffing on - is the value in acquiring good fits to play with EP and Boeser - and in that sense, going out and getting Miller and Ferland made perfect sense (if anyone can name better options/opportunities available on the market this past summer - fill your boots posting them).

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

If that happens Ill wear a damn russia flag to a game, over my Tryamkin jersey of course...

Oh man, this Tryamkin talk...:frantic:  ...he is playing well over there this year too.......:bigblush:

Myers & Tryamkin on the same team. I mean...

56 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Myers & Tryamkin on the same team. I mean...

Imagine if the nucks somehow acquire Ristolainen this year for some plug forwards..

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn Stecher 

:emot-parrot::wub:

Next year without any signings on d...

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Ristolainen 

Edler Tryamkin 

Benn 

Woo in Utica..

• Like 3