The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

On 10/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, Gaudette Celly said:

Odd, I thought losing a "cap dump" was a good thing...

Some irony in the fact a person that works in a baseball/football/basketball market - is puzzled by how stupid social media in Vancouver is.  Food for thought in this 'hockey' market.

Doesn't help when media dimwits like Sekeres are feeding people nonsense - embarrassing to refer to a player like this as a cap dump = it wasn't just the kids on twitter over-reacting and blowing head gaskets before they have any idea what they're talking about.

Anyhow

Sutter has 5 pts in 6 games, +3 (5.5 on ice-goals for per 60, not bad for a guy that has no offense in his toolbox). 

Miller has been dominant = 8 pts, +4, 5.5 on ice goals for, 65.7% faceoffs (people laughed when I suggested he could platoon with EP, take draws and make life a little easier for him, something he has been doing), a team low 33.9% ozone starts, 2nd highest corsi at 60.7%.... not bad for a cap dump.

Edler scoring like a Norris candidate, beside Myers, who has also been excellent.

4 straight wins - anything but on the backs of their young core - it's the 'foundation' that is leading this team right now.

Anyhow - if Ferland can get back to healthy and look like himself - (and Roussel behind him) - there's not much for the smarmies to complain about in Benning's work the past few summers (should go without saying that Beagle is also a stud, but some things simply can't be shown to noobs with no will to see).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Miller has been dominant = 8 pts, +4, 5.5 on ice goals for, 65.7% faceoffs (people laughed when I suggested he could platoon with EP, take draws and make life a little easier for him, something he has been doing), a team low 33.9% ozone starts,

Just a little correction, he has a ozone start % of 66ish. The website you are using for that information has everyone flipped for some reason. 

But yea, he's been the best forward on the team thus far. Just between him and Hughes, our possession game is miles ahead of last year. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:11 AM, Duodenum said:

I feel like once the fanbase sees Miller play, there will be a lot more fans ok with this deal. 

As others have said, Horvat is 24 and Miller is 26. It's time to start making these type of moves and I'm happy it was for a guy that'll fit with our core for the next 5 years at least. 

Looking good so far...

Edited by Duodenum
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Just a little correction, he has a ozone start % of 66ish. The website you are using for that information has everyone flipped for some reason. 

But yea, he's been the best forward on the team thus far. Just between him and Hughes, our possession game is miles ahead of last year. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

you'd think they might have picked up on it by now.

maybe that site is out of Toronto.

anyhow - I like using those numbers when I'm pumpiing our young guys haha.  they're insanely good numbers when inverted (Hughes, EP et al = tremendous 'underlying' numbers haha)..

But the inverse it more to be expected - and if they are flipped, they make more sense = make our shutdown guys look a lot better - as they are, they make our shutdown guys look worse.

the upside of the correction = Sutter has been unreal.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

you'd think they might have picked up on it by now.

maybe that site is out of Toronto.

anyhow - I like using those numbers when I'm pumpiing our guys haha.  they're insanely good numbers.

But the inverse it more to be expected - and if they are flipped, they make more sense = maker our shutdown guys look a lot better - as they are, they make our shutdown guys look worse.

the upside of the correction = Sutter has been unreal.

Yea Sutter has been crazy good so far, he's really recovered well from his injury. 

I must say, I was not expecting him to be this good coming back this year. 

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

Yea Sutter has been crazy good so far, he's really recovered well from his injury. 

I must say, I was not expecting him to be this good coming back this year. 

I'm wondering if he's 100% - just because the one area he's still struggling is in the faceoff circle - where he's typically very good.

Then again, Beagle started quite poorly in the dot last year, and finished with his usual elite %.

One of the luxuries of adding a guy like Miller.  Even with EP, as expected, not very strong in the dot, and Sutter 'rusty' or whatever, they still have 3 really good faceoff guys rolling (and can use Miller in key draws, taking pressure off EP - and that line starts with the puck that much more often).

Finally enough real depth that they can work through a few guys out of the lineup or not quite up to par.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'm wondering if he's 100% - just because the one area he's still struggling is in the faceoff circle - where he's typically very good.

Probably take a bit more time to get his arm/shoulder strength  back up to 100% but he has been very good so far.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I’m interested to see what the trade haters think now?

anyone stand by being pissed about it? 
anyone change their tune and now like it?

I can’t stand that trade. Giving up a 1st for a chump who will retire a decade before the potential 1st rounder would? We traded a star 1st pick for nothing. Shame on management.

Edit:

Ghostsof1994 & J-23...

sarcasm buds... sarcasm

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I’m interested to see what the trade haters think now?

anyone stand by being pissed about it? 
anyone change their tune and now like it?

I firmly stand by my original assessment and nothing you write will change my mind :angry:

:bigblush:

50 minutes ago, rekker said:

This JT guy, he is one rugged SOB. Reminds me of a young Rekker, lol. Nice pick up JB.

Seeing JT play has me wonder why a team TBay that got crushed in the playoffs for being too small and soft traded the one forward they had who was big and tough?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Marky cost us that one.  It’s not his fault though.  That loss is 100% on Green.  No way Marky should be starting tonight.  He’s clearly exhausted.  Coaches can’t win games, but their mistakes can lose games.  

Marky looked sharp until the 3rd

All this talk about the Miller trade being a bad trade is based on assuming the worst.  When we don't actually know what/who that pick/ player ends up being until the final product is a known.  There is a word for that type of thinking/approach to an argument.  

image.png.fa1568af7dad9ada6b64eac2e83fa5c7.png

They use the extreme worst case scenario as their position. Then act as though you have to defend that - not the actual facts.

People who favor the trade or think it was a reasonable trade then have to to defend it based on their position even though logic says:

1) We don't know what number pick that 1st rounder will be. 2) We don't know if that player will ever play 1 game in the NHL 3) We don't know if that player will be a capable top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman if and when they do make the NHL 4) We don't know if Tampa possibly trades that pick for ????? 5) Miller is a known and proven NHL player 6)  that can play as a top six forward 7) plays all forward positions and is a very capable center 8)  has leadership qualities 9) is proving himself "currently" not "potentially"  2 to 5 years from now. 10) Miller was also a 1st round pick taken 15th overall. 11) Signed to a very reasonable contract of 4 years at $5.25M with no trade protection.  12) I may have missed some.......

Makes absolutely no sense.  Unless the reason really is that they don't like Benning?   By the time this plays out they won't have to defend their strawman.  Yet they will come back to remind us they were correct if the strawman materializes. 

Not really a fair debate.  This is why I try hard to avoid these.  It is an exercise in futility.  

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seeing JT play has me wonder why a team TBay that got crushed in the playoffs for being too small and soft traded the one forward they had who was big and tough?  

Good point. Coaching? Maybe if a player like JT had a larger role on that team they wouldn't of been out in four games. JT is the exact type of player TO needs. Instead they spent that first on getting rid of a player, lol. And yet still the media bows at Dubas's feet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good point. Coaching? Maybe if a player like JT had a larger role on that team they wouldn't of been out in four games. JT is the exact type of player TO needs. Instead they spent that first on getting rid of a player, lol. And yet still the media bows at Dubas's feet.

Miller is awesome.  Guy is feisty as hell too.  I didn’t realize how well he skated.  He’s fast, quick, and skilled.  And he’s big.  He was a steal for a first.  Like you say, Dubass gave up a first to dump a player the Leafs actually need.  

• Cheers 2