The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

but they signed Witkowski and Maroon to fill the physical void.

The Lightening are okay cap wise, but can teams that have 3 or 4 guys making huge cap dollars win a Cup?  It’s like they have to dump some really good players, and replace them with crap.  Then those super high paid players have to play more, and harder minutes.  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Lightening are okay cap wise, but can teams that have 3 or 4 guys making huge cap dollars win a Cup?  It’s like they have to dump some really good players, and replace them with crap.  Then those super high paid players have to play more, and harder minutes.  

I think he held value of being a very good player who needed to be traded due to a lesser role vs his caphit being the driving force in dealing him.

He would not have cost a first if the Lightning felt in any way they HAD to trade him for cap reasons. He was traded because of internal talent coming up and that in itself should not leave their top players playing harder minutes. The Lightning now have a very effective 4th line ( signed Maroon and Witkowski ) that can keep the opposition honest and three lines that can burn you on offense. Last season while Miller is a bigger body who was indeed physical they were missing the presence of that one line to do that kind of work. 

On 10/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, Alflives said:

Due to florida taxes, weather, privacy and tampas amazing team they can sign good players that take less for the lifestyle. Dont worry about Tampa... they will be just fine despite losing gems like miller.

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Due to florida taxes, weather, privacy and tampas amazing team they can sign good players that take less for the lifestyle. Dont worry about Tampa... they will be just fine despite losing gems like miller.

They have Hedman.  If he goes down they’re done.  

On 10/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, Alflives said:

Seeing JT play has me wonder why a team TBay that got crushed in the playoffs for being too small and soft traded the one forward they had who was big and tough?  

well what likely happened is tampa had to do a salary dump

and jt was not a player they were looking to dump

they had other players more suitable for that outcome

but jb didn't want the lesser players

and maybe tampa had to do a real trade rather then just a dump

so took back a 1st rounder for this quality asset

kept the players that were more dump material

as maybe they realized there was little real interest in those players

they really needed cap space to sign point

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

well what likely happened is tampa had to do a salary dump

and jt was not a player they were looking to dump

they had other players more suitable for that outcome

but jb didn't want the lesser players

and maybe tampa had to do a real trade rather then just a dump

so took back a 1st rounder for this quality asset

kept the players that were more dump material

as maybe they realized there was little real interest in those players

they really needed cap space to sign point

Maybe TBay should have kept Miller and traded Point?  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

they are going to do that next

point for miller at tdl :P

plus a couple draft picks coming the nucks way too

34 minutes ago, Me_ said:

TBL

Miller

VAN

Point

1st

.....naaaaaaahhhhhhhh.....

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

There would probably be CDC members against that trade if it happened though. :rolleyes:

I'd do it if Tampa throws in a 7th rounder.::D

• Haha 3

On 10/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, theo5789 said:

Let's not group us all together. Many here were talking about how good he would/could be. The ones that didn't know simply didn't know who JT Miller was and did some quick looks on his minutes and production while eating up the media talk.

Considering all the flak we hear about Virtanen and Juolevi, I'm surprised many weren't actually happy to use up a 1st for a legit NHL regular. Virtanen and Juolevi are the ones constantly mentioned when it comes to JB's draft record. It's not surprised some fans are "accustomed" to the trade record because all that is always brought up/remembered are the ones that didn't turn out well, while the majority of his deals have been fine (steals don't happen as often these days with GMs looking to make hockey trades).

So now JB has upped his trade record. He's made solid UFA acquisitions (no longer placeholder signings). and his draft record speaks for itself. There's no reason to be dumping on JB for the next little while unless you're looking for it.

If you go back through my comments, you'll see I've been a big JB supporter the entire time.  I was simply pointing out that, right or wrong, it's not completely ridiculous that people were miffed at losing the first round pick knowing JB does well with them.  One other point - lots of people don't know TB players from this side of the continent.....so it makes sense that people really didn't understand the deal.  But regardless, I've always liked JB.....if not for his work, for the fact that he seems like a decent human being who values having good role models on the team instead of jackasses.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Fun fact: JT Miller has more points and goals than anyone on the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Ya but the real question is Sergachev vs Juolevi. /sarc

People will always try to find something negative in a positive situation on CDC...

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Hilarious reading the first ten pages of this thread, pure comedy. Some people are confused what a cap dump is comparing this move to the Leafs trading a 40 year old and the Devils trading two second rounders for a declining D man with a 9 Mill cap hit.  Miller is a really good player on a great contract. The pick is conditional and i don't see the Canucks missing the playoffs in the next two years and if they do, they'll be a WC team so it still won't be a top 10 pick unless they won a lotto pick. When was the last time they won one of those, even with the best odds? I believe the draft lottery has been rigged since Crosby was the first overall pick. Last year was too obvious, NJ(second one in two years), NYR and Chicago.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1