The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

MVP of the team this season imo. Has been an absolute hero for them . If that pick ends up outside the top 12 or so I can't see how the trade isn't seen as a success. Even if you look at the player like a commodity or stock the value has certainly increased since the transaction . The great thing is he can go off for a huge season or two ( or three) and they don't have to worry about an incoming new contract for a while.  What he is giving for 5.25 is a bargain and if he can keep it up could be one of the better value deals in the league over the course of it.  I think at the time of the deal most reasonable people recognized the risk but had a wait and see attitude ; the ones that came out fast , hard, and negative are now looking wrong and foolish imo. Even the point that the Canucks should not have paid that price for a "cap dump" is only valid if it is true that every team except the Canucks valued him as such . I doubt this was the case.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, reyezone said:

We really should hold the media responsible for the negative spin and it’s trickle down into this fanbase and message board. It’s remarkable how little most of these goobs on the radio know about players and prospects around the league not to mention in this organization, yet they have the audacity to criticize a blockbuster trade when it happens at the draft in their own city!!!

Were there any media who remained agnostic on the trade when it happened? I seem to remember all criticizing as an overpay and salivating at the opportunity to carry forward the “Dim Jim” moniker. 

Absolutely..& they risk future credibility by vociferously amping up their opinions/volume, to attract listeners in the moment. Like teen crack heads looking for a better high, & wrecking any faith the fanbase may construct.

6 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

MVP of the team this season imo. Has been an absolute hero for them . If that pick ends up outside the top 12 or so I can't see how the trade isn't seen as a success. Even if you look at the player like a commodity or stock the value has certainly increased since the transaction . The great thing is he can go off for a huge season or two ( or three) and they don't have to worry about an incoming new contract for a while.  What he is giving for 5.25 is a bargain and if he can keep it up could be one of the better value deals in the league over the course of it.  I think at the time of the deal most reasonable people recognized the risk but had a wait and see attitude ; the ones that came out fast , hard, and negative are now looking wrong and foolish imo. Even the point that the Canucks should not have paid that price for a "cap dump" is only valid if it is true that every team except the Canucks valued him as such . I doubt this was the case.

why assume jt was a cap dump

i assume tampa preferred to cap dump one or 2 different players

but jb was not interested in those players

or he could have had one of them for a much lesser return

jb knew tampa had to reduce their overall salary hit to sign point

and picked a player he really wanted from tampa

and paid closer to market value for that player (but still slightly less then market value)

that is how i look at this trade

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, kacholu said:

I love what Miller brings to the table and the player he is/what he has been doing so far. 

My problem is JB not being able to negotiate. Imagine if we could have landed him for a 2nd or prospect we weren't super high on. 

One of the reporters metioned JB took the offer without countering. 

Assuming he took the offer without countering. Benning probably thought about the offer and felt like he was going to win the deal. He assessed the talent and bought low on a player that was only 26 (many prime years left) on a bargain contract (despite the cap dump talk, he possibly signed one of those tax friendly Tampa deals) signed for 4 more years (all prime years). You look at the value today and he's well above what we paid for him.

With all that said, it's a bunch of baloney that he took whatever offer and didn't counter or negotiate. This is all just a perpetuation of the unfounded "Dim Jim" slander.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

why assume jt was a cap dump

i assume tampa preferred to cap dump one or 2 different players

but jb was not interested in those players

or he could have had one of them for a much lesser return

jb knew tampa had to reduce their overall salary hit to sign point

and picked a player he really wanted from tampa

and paid closer to market value for that player (but still slightly less then market value)

that is how i look at this trade

I wasn't suggesting he was.

59 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

AYYYY GUYS IM READY TO GET FLAMED! Do you guys think Miller can keep this up for next season too?

What kind of trade value does he have now? Must have increased, whats his value at the deadline.  

Law of economics: Buy low; sell high :P 

Time to get flamed. But plz be peaceful :)

***Obviously we will get him tho. Just trying to get a hypothetical value yenno :)

I'll play the game. Yes his value has skyrocketed from a supposed 3rd/4th liner "cap dump" that declined in points from his previous season. If we were to make him available at the deadline, we might be able to get a kings ransom. But why trade someone that we need now and can help us for the next while on a decent contract? Everything he is now would be what we in a trade return (except having that covered unknown or the golden 1st round pick that could just as easily end up being a dud). He would create a large hole that needs to be filled, so not sure what kind of return would justify trading him at this point.

We could probably get a great return for EP as well, but I'm sure you and others could figure out why we wouldn't for the same reasons why we wouldn't trade Miller now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha...Sekeres is an idiot.

If you want a laugh, go back in this thread to page 8 (when we found out JB traded a 1st rounder) and read the comments. So many bad ones.....:lol:

Edit: my own first comment also sucked lol. But I liked the trade shortly after when I was able to do more research on JT Miller - I did not know much about him at the time of the trade.

There's a reason that guys like Sekeres are in commentary and not running a team. No owner in his right mind would ever trust him to do anything with an NHL team, above janitorial lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'll play the game. Yes his value has skyrocketed from a supposed 3rd/4th liner "cap dump" that declined in points from his previous season. If we were to make him available at the deadline, we might be able to get a kings ransom. But why trade someone that we need now and can help us for the next while on a decent contract? Everything he is now would be what we in a trade return (except having that covered unknown or the golden 1st round pick that could just as easily end up being a dud). He would create a large hole that needs to be filled, so not sure what kind of return would justify trading him at this point.

We could probably get a great return for EP as well, but I'm sure you and others could figure out why we wouldn't for the same reasons why we wouldn't trade Miller now.

Thanks for playing. The way I see it is that EP is gonna stay forever a canuck :P. Same goes for Horvat/Hughes. in my eyes at least 

50 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

really?

you think the first offer tampa put out there

is that they wanted a conditional 1st rounder

they only want the 1st in the year the nucks make the playoffs

cuz yeah, they prefer a lower pick in the first round

do you even think before you post such nonsense ?

It was reported by one of JB fanboys Ian Mcityre. By the way you got triggered it seems like you are one of them fanboys too. Guess no point in arguing with you. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Thanks for playing. The way I see it is that EP is gonna stay forever a canuck :P. Same goes for Horvat/Hughes. in my eyes at least 

At this rate, Miller could potentially finish his career as a Canuck. Unless of course we decide to unload him for no particular reason other than he's been on another team before so why not?

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

There's a reason that guys like Sekeres are in commentary and not running a team. No owner in his right mind would ever trust him to do anything with an NHL team, above janitorial lol.

Not even janitorial because he'll be too busy spewing sh*t rather than cleaning it up.

But seriously though, I'll cut him a bit of slack because I got on him about what I thought was a false rumour about Dahlen which ended up being true. I guess it's better when he's reporting facts rather than spewing opinion (for a reporter, go figure).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kacholu said:

I love what Miller brings to the table and the player he is/what he has been doing so far. 

My problem is JB not being able to negotiate. Imagine if we could have landed him for a 2nd or prospect we weren't super high on. 

One of the reporters metioned JB took the offer without countering. 

Tampa wasn't thrilled to lose Miller that's why he cost what he did. They were shopping Killorn, Benning paid a tad more to get a much better player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:17 AM, MJDDawg said:

Brian Burke just on the Canucks (I'm paraphrasing here):

"This is the wrong move for this team and I put the blame strictly on the ownership group there".

Ugh.

I’m laughing at Burke’s past comment. Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2