The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Killorn has a full NTC. Gourde signed an extension with a full NTC during that season. Neither were legitimate options.

Tampa very much had to trade Miller. But he's a good player, so I'm sure they had multiple teams trying to trade for him. Canucks just offered the most.

I believe the NTC's didn't click in till July 1st. But could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

It continues to bug me that this trade was considered a cap dump and a force trade for Tampa. They needed to clear space for sure. But they had several options to do so. Killorn and Gorde come to mind. They had other options as well thay elude me at the moment. I wasn't big on the trade at first but I will give JB the Captain Morgan clap on this one. Well done JB and pro scouts that thought JT would fit in as he has.They were bang on.

More than one thing can be true at the same time. It was a cap dump, but the Canucks identified Miller specifically as a potential fit for top six. When Tampa realizes that Canucks want Miller in particular and not just some other guys Tampa has leverage, and thus Canucks had to pay a price. If Canucks just sit and wait and hope for a bargain, Miller may possibly remain with Tampa or be traded to another team. 

Edited by Maddogy

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I believe the NTC's didn't click in till July 1st. But could be wrong.

Killorn's NTC has been in place since 2017.

Gourde's kicked in on July 1st, but as I said, he just signed that extension during last season, as he was originally set to become a UFA. Had the team signed him during the season with a NTC, and then traded him prior to July 1st, it would have looked terrible on management, and no doubt affected their future dealings with young players.

58 minutes ago, rekker said:

As per the previous two posts. I guess my meaning on a cap dump player is two fold. A player with a high salary on a capped out team, but also a player not at all worth his salary. It's why I dont see Miller as a true cap dump player. 

Agreed. It's like saying Horvat will be a cap dump when you trade him away. Sure it frees up "cap space", but Miller was producing decently well on Tampa Bay. And as another poster pointed out, TB had other options to free that space.

• Cheers 2

On 1/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Here’s a hot take. We got a 50% discount. Miller is worth 2 1sts and 2 3rds. 26 years old, on pace for 75-80 points at $5.25m per year cap hit and signed for 3 more seasons. Try to tell me teams wouldn’t give up 2 1sts + for a non rental player like that.

Maybe not such a hot take after seeing the returns on trades so far, yeesh sellers market much? We got a steal.

Just now, theo5789 said:

It was a cap dump though!

Yes, Tampa needed to move him for cap reasons. Do you really think that Benning was the only GM interested in him?

We got good value on a guy who has become integral to our team. Would we really be chasing the playoffs this year without him???

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Amidst all the trade flurry, maybe some need to be reminded of a move we have made in preparation for this season and that has worked out so well for us thus far.

If people need to be reminded of one of the most beautiful trades in Canucks history then We can’t help them lol

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes, Tampa needed to move him for cap reasons. Do you really think that Benning was the only GM interested in him?

We got good value on a guy who has become integral to our team. Would we really be chasing the playoffs this year without him???

I was just joking.

• Cheers 1

Here's a weird scenario. 

Say the Canucks miss the playoffs and end up with the 12th overall pick... 

The Devils who have the Canucks first rounder (from the Tampa Coleman trade) might have a guy high on their list at 12th. 

Canucks could use their 1st round this year or push to next year. 

How much is that 1st rounder worth to the Devils? 

Could we get another draft pick this year or next year (3rd or 4th rounder from the Devils) in exchange for letting them pick this year? 

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Here's a weird scenario. 

Say the Canucks miss the playoffs and end up with the 12th overall pick... 

The Devils who have the Canucks first rounder (from the Tampa Coleman trade) might have a guy high on their list at 12th. 

Canucks could use their 1st round this year or push to next year. 

How much is that 1st rounder worth to the Devils? 

Could we get another draft pick this year or next year (3rd or 4th rounder from the Devils) in exchange for letting them pick this year? 

This would also depend on if the Canucks have a guy they are really high on in #12.

• Cheers 1

On 2/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, VegasCanuck said:

So, we spent a 1st and a 3rd to get Miller, NYI just spent a 1st and a 2nd for Pageau.

I'd say we easily got the better value for our picks.

In fact, here is what the first line has cost to build:

VAN

Pettersson

Miller

Toffoli

NHL

Schaller

Mazanec

Madden

1st ‘17 (5OA17)

1st ‘20 or ‘21

2nd ‘20

3rd ‘19

Do you do this trade?

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

In fact, here is what the first line has cost to build:

VAN

Pettersson

Miller

Toffoli

NHL

Schaller

Mazanec

Madden

1st ‘17 (5OA17)

1st ‘20 or ‘21

2nd ‘20

3rd ‘19

Do you do this trade?

In general, Petterson is probably worth 2 x 1st on his own, so, yes, I'd make that trade.

Schaller and Mazanec were contract dumps.

Madden is an interesting prospect, but we don't know for sure how he will develop as far as ceiling.

2nd round pick has about 33% chance of having an NHL career of 100 games or more

3rd round pick is about 20% chance.

Would be pretty happy to do that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

45 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

In general, Petterson is probably worth 2 x 1st on his own, so, yes, I'd make that trade.

Schaller and Mazanec were contract dumps.

Madden is an interesting prospect, but we don't know for sure how he will develop as far as ceiling.

2nd round pick has about 33% chance of having an NHL career of 100 games or more

3rd round pick is about 20% chance.

Would be pretty happy to do that.

ryan reynolds wtf GIF

• Haha 2