Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay alf who replaces Myers ? his a top four D , that can play in all areas.....edler and Myers make a good two way pairing and Myers would work with OJ or Rathbone in theory also. 

So having Myers and the type D prospects we have benefit each other......

Tree is better, and will cost 1/3 against the cap.  Rafferty replaces Stecher for less than 1/2 the cost.  OJ will be up a ready too, as will Bone.  Our D is too old, soft, and Slow.  We are too easy to play against.  Edler, Hughes, and Tanev I would keep.  Other spots are for Tree, Rafferty, Bone, and OJ.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tree is better, and will cost 1/3 against the cap.  Rafferty replaces Stecher for less than 1/2 the cost.  OJ will be up a ready too, as will Bone.  Our D is too old, soft, and Slow.  We are too easy to play against.  Edler, Hughes, and Tanev I would keep.  Other spots are for Tree, Rafferty, Bone, and OJ.  

Okay tree I like big and mean but a leftie and Myers is a rightie and raff is the only right hand prospect that could take Myers spot but Myers brings more edge....also raff would have to be sheltered at the start, Myers doesn't.

myers balances guys like OJ and bone and their play style work together so why move Myers? 

You want Barrie that bad? 

Also Hughes needs a D partner that will make hits not take hits..someone that will make more room for Hughes to act like thuggy bear not huggy bear.....he needs someone that will hand the battles with the big guys in front of the net.....josh Manson type :) 

alf im with you I don't like soft players but when we have a pairing of Hughes and tanev , that screams soft.....Myers isn't the problem...edler and Myers have shown pretty good together . 

Hughes Manson 

edler myers 

OJ/bone/tree/Benn and right side if we let tanev and stech walk we have raff.....which his smart play could work with tree or Benn two guys that play with an edge but raff is not going to add toughness....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m guessing the cap has to adjust, because of lost revenue.  I’m hopeful the league gives each team a couple compliance buyouts to help get them through the difficult time.  Buying out Loui and Myers saves us 12 million off the cap.  

Okay fair speculation, I read your comment as one that had the news secured. I thought maybe a missed an announcement. The only news I've heard is the 84-88 projection... which is for sure up in the air now due to this. 

1 minute ago, Tower102 said:

Okay fair speculation, I read your comment as one that had the news secured. I thought maybe a missed an announcement. The only news I've heard is the 84-88 projection... which is for sure up in the air now due to this. 

I think 84 to 88 has to do with the NHLPA escalator.  The guys say they want escrow (currently about 15%) to come down, if not disappear.  So the cap was going to be at most 84, and likely stay there for a couple seasons to get escrow down to zero.  The league, with the NHLPA has made the cap fake upwardly by 15%.  Now there’s this loss of revenue from the shutdown.  Cap might stay at 84, but there will be a 40% escrow next season.  

• Like 1

How about that MIller trade (this is the Miller trade thread is it not?)

17th in the NHL in scoring.  With EP at 20th it gives the Canucks 2 x top 20 scorers - while also having a top 5 scoring defenseman.

2nd in the NHL in faceoff % - Couturier, Miller, Beagle - gives the Canucks 2 of the league's top 3 faceoff guys.

Leads the team in hits - 2nd to Tyler Motte among forwards in hits/game, hits per 60 - 3rd to Edler and Motte in hits/game.

Shows up every night - every shift - with the kind of driving energy that every team needs, particularly in it's top 6.

In other words, he's been a principal, driving force in what has the team in a playoff spot at the point of this stoppage - so not only has he lived up to and exceeded expectations (even of those of us that loved this deal, and certainly blown this absurd thread to pieces) - but critically, he has also been instrumental in reducing the cost of his acquisition.

As things stand, the results the team has achieved to this point would dictate that they move their non-lottery, late round 1st in the first year of a conditional deal - in other words, they'd have closed the contingency/cost on this deal - at a longshot 1st, and put to rest any (always overblown) anxiety that lurks at the surface of this market, always seemingly desperate to express itself (in whatever irrational over-reaction it can).   Ermagerd - all our feerzz has ben reellizzzed - Bennig just overpaidz for a cap dumpppzzz!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

17th in the NHL in scoring.  With EP at 20th it gives the Canucks 2 x top 20 scorers - while also having a top 5 scoring defenseman.

2nd in the NHL in faceoff % - Couturier, Miller, Beagle - gives the Canucks 2 of the league's top 3 faceoff guys.

Leads the team in hits - 2nd to Tyler Motte among forwards in hits/game, hits per 60 - 3rd to Edler and Motte in hits/game.

Shows up every night - every shift - with the kind of driving energy that every team needs, particularly in it's top 6.

In other words, he's been a principal, driving force in what has the team in a playoff spot at the point of this stoppage - so not only has he lived up to and exceeded expectations (even of those of us that loved this deal, and certainly blown this absurd thread to pieces) - but critically, he has also been instrumental in reducing the cost of his acquisition.

As things stand, the results the team has achieved to this point would dictate that they move their non-lottery, late round 1st in the first year of a conditional deal - in other words, they'd have closed the contingency/cost on this deal - at a longshot 1st, and put to rest any (always overblown) anxiety that lurks at the surface of this market, always seemingly desperate to express itself (in whatever irrational over-reaction it can).   Ermagerd - all our feerzz has ben reellizzzed - Bennig just overpaidz for a cap dumpppzzz!

Bo is 3rd in the league for face off wins, and has a pretty good % at 57.3

^ Yes, I know, Miller thread. Yup, JB did good on that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

^ Yes, I know, Miller thread. Yup, JB did good on that one.

I'd take it one step further. JB has done good on everything for this team. 

Thank you lord Benning. 

• Thanks 2

Hey... everyone... seriously... as crazy as it sounds... Miller is a member of the Canucks!

• Hydration 1

21 hours ago, oldnews said:

Not to mention his leadership. 

When I heard JT has been taking Jake under his wing , that made the deal so much more valuable for us. 

long time not posting... so don't light me up with gasoline for not using the right format 

SO as of today the nucks are not in the play off, does that mean we don't give TB our conditional 1st round pick?

8 hours ago, 1994_fan said:

long time not posting... so don't light me up with gasoline for not using the right format 

SO as of today the nucks are not in the play off, does that mean we don't give TB our conditional 1st round pick?

they are 3rd in the Pacific - it's determined by pts%

On 3/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, 1994_fan said:

NJ has our pick too not TB 

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-gm-jim-benning-j-t-miller-pick-depends-on-play-in-result-1.1480176

Benning: Miller pick depends on play-in result

Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning said Wednesday it is his understanding that the result of the best-of-five round will determine whether the team's first-round pick transfers to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Canucks general manager Jim Benning said Wednesday it is his understanding that the result of Vancouver's best-of-five round will determine whether the team's first-round pick transfers to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Benning says his understanding is that the first round pick in the JT Miller deal will be determined by what happens in the play-in series. #Canucks

The Canucks traded a conditional first-round pick to the Lightning last summer - along with a third-round pick and goaltender Marek Mazanec - in return for J.T. Miller, with the pick transferring this year if the Canucks made the playoffs and the Lightning receiving Vancouver's 2021 first-round pick if they did not.

Under the NHL's Return to Play format announced Tuesday, the Canucks will face the Minnesota Wild to determine which team advances to the 16-team playoff field. 

In 69 game with the Canucks this season, Miller posted a career-high 27 goals and 72 points.

• Thanks 1

I hope we win the series and give up the pick this year, because I feel like this crop of prospects will be harder to evaluate due to the ramifications of COVID-19. 
Plus, our young guys need playoff experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I hope we win the series and give up the pick this year, because I feel like this crop of prospects will be harder to evaluate due to the ramifications of COVID-19. 
Plus, our young guys need playoff experience.

To be honest, I'm not for or against either scenario. On one hand, you are right in that it may be harder to evaluate; however, on the other hand, the overall quality of this year's prospects is considered to be higher. There is really a case to be made for either scenario.

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be honest, I'm not for or against either scenario. On one hand, you are right in that it may be harder to evaluate; however, on the other hand, the overall quality of this year's prospects is considered to be higher. There is really a case to be made for either scenario.

1) Win cup

2) Win draft lottery

That's my order. Yea I know there are other scenarios.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

1) Win cup

2) Win draft lottery

That's my order. Yea I know there are other scenarios.

Sure, there are other scenarios, but I perceive what you've said as goals. Those other scenarios would be kind of silly as "goals" in my opinion. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Burr 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'll take your word for it, but I've never been so disinterested in a draft. I'm sure others feel that way, because it looks like we might not have a pick until the 3rd round (although Benning has said he wants to recoup some picks). If we lose against Minnasota, interest in the draft will spike. I guess I'll start looking into some prospects from this crop.

• Hydration 1