The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

7 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Maybe if Benning had acquired picks for the last 4 years instead of trading them in a "must stay competitive" mentality and still end up being the worst team in the league over that period.

Maybe if he had traded assets instead of watching them age and lose value on a junk team. 

Maybe if Benning could make a good big trade.

Maybe he could sign a FA without a huge overpay. 

Maybe if he didn't just trade a 1st and 3rd for JT Miller.

Then fans wouldn't be so negative. 

Maybe the team just got better skill, leadership and toughness wise and fans shouldn’t dwell too much on the 2022 version of the team that 1st round pick is  most likely to impact, if at all.

Or do.  Whatever. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

This trade is not bad but weird.

Jim HATES trading 1st round picks. Rumours go that he is willing to offer 1st for D. However what we got is not D but a gritty veteran forward.

So what the heck happened to trading 1st round pick for D?

Another trade option came up? There are UFA D men we can go after? We can still trade for a d man? We resigned Edler?  Don't believe every &^@#ing rumor? 

Edited by Gnarcore

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I hope so. The Canucks will once again be a bottom team once again if they don’t.

Don't think that's fair to say... Barrie isn't that big of a must. I'd rather just get a dman in free agency than lose more picks at this point 

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

This move seems more like a desperate attempt to make the playoff..  if you are tossing in a 1st I rather we go for like a Zucker..  realistically which of the 8 teams that's in the playoff are we even better than? Dallas? 

If Eriksson can be dumped after July 1st we'll be sitting with around 20 million in cap space, even with Boeser re-signing.

You don't think we're gonna use that to get better?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Maybe the team just got better skill, leadership and toughness wise and fans shouldn’t dwell too much on the 2022 version of the team that 1st round pick is  most likely to impact, if at all.

Or do.  Whatever. 

2022 if were lucky...most likely 2023/2024 considering it will most likely be in 2021. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm still expecting a trade for a defenseman.

The Barrie deal could still happen, but if fans didn't like giving up a 1st, I'm guessing they're not gonna like giving up guys like Virtanen, Gaudette, DiPietro, and Woo. A deal involving Stecher, Sutter, a top prospect, and a 2nd could still happen. 

If they touch DiPietro ill be pissed lol. Woo as well. They can move Virtanen and Gaudette but not woo and dipietro lol

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Horvat plays against top pairings.

Miller plays against bottom pairings.  

Not saying Miller is bad, just it's silly to compare him to Horvat IMO.  Would you trade Horvat for Miller straight up?  

That is simplifying it also he scored 56 points against “top pairings” with the Rangers...

With Tampa he mainly played against other teams 2nd/3rd lines and 2nd pair defence. 

Miller/Horvat is a fair comparison objectively speaking. Bo 6’ 215,  JT 6’1 218, Miller can play Centre best season 56 points at 24 to Bo’s 61 points at 24. With an extra 5 minutes a game in the top 6 would produce 50-60 points easily. Not as far off a comparison as you think. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Miller is listed as a center, so does hew convert to wing or is Sutter/Beagle on the market?

Miller can and does play center or wing - and imo will in all likelihood be playing with Pettersson.

He is for the top 6, does not effect Sutter or Beagle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think you can only judge this trade in 5 years. It all depends what contribution Miller will make to the success of the club and who Florida picks with our pick and how that player turns out. But from the other hand it's a far too superior a trade compared to Leafs trading their first rounder for ummmmm no one. :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Miller was a 15th overall first round pick out of the USND program.  A lot of people wanted Boldy with our fist pick this year. Will Boldy ever be as good a pro as JT  Miller?  Will he ever bring the kind of tenacity Miller brings to the ice?  We get the player now.  Canucks have a decent amount of futures and with this trade we also get to live and win in the now.   

Dunno... but Podkolzin will be immensely better that a 10OA, and that’s what counts most.

Thanks Benning!

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rush17 said:

If they touch DiPietro ill be pissed lol. Woo as well. They can move Virtanen and Gaudette but not woo and dipietro lol

I'd rather them trade Demko than Dipietro.

I think Demko has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the league but his injury history at such a young age is something to be concerned with.  Dipietro could be a stud in this league so makes Deko expendable.

1 hour ago, mpt said:

Lucic 51% corsi with 54.5% defensive zone starts; 259 hits.  55.6% faceoffs What’s your point?

VAN

Lucic

Puljujarvi

EDM

Eriksson

Hutton

Edited by Me_
  • Wat 2

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

Lucic 51% corsi with 54.5% defensive zone starts; 259 hits.  55.6% faceoffs What’s your point?

5.25 mil, solid skater and 50 point player at 26 years old. 

vs

7 mil boat anchor with a NMC 

What's your point? 

• Haha 2

What does this trade do to the Seattle entry draft next year? Who will be vulnerable to be stolen at that draft? 

Mike Babcock just said the better your D is obviously the less time you spend in your zone!

i don’t have zone stats but, but help is on the way 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

When we become a contender, we'll need to acquire a 1st to have a rookie on ELC if we want to actually win a cup. We're giving away an opportunity to have a great talent on cheap during a good drive. That's the worst part. 

Podkolzin? Madden? Woo? Hoglander? They're all ~2 years away and they'll be on ELCs for 2-3 years from then...

• Upvote 1