The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Just now, mpt said:

Completely relevant when he was traded recently for a 5th.

Hayes, 1st, 3rd or Miller and a 5th.

Again, bad trade

Hayes likes playing in the East no surprise he bolted back there. Still irrelevant. 

7 minutes ago, mpt said:

I’d rather have Hayes, a 1st and a 3rd.

Would you trade Hayes, 1st and a 3rd for Miller and a 5th?

And if that 1st becomes a 23rd-25th pick? Or better yet a bust?

Problem with evaluating a 1st is that people are assigning a high value to it despite it not being a known value yet.

If you look at the odds, the majority of 1st round picks don't become impact players. But everyone is fearing the worst here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I like the pressure this puts on Benning. He's betting on himself making the team better here, and he's gambling his job to do it.

He could have kept going the "safe" route keeping all our picks, signing overpaid free agents and continuing to inch towards being a playoff team. Fans don't wanna wait 10 years for playoffs though, and neither does he.

100% This is pretty much it.  I’d wager Bo, Brock and Petey don’t want to wait either... same with Edler who signed a sweetheart deal.  Our forward group compared to last year with Miller, Pearson and Leivo at LW now looks downright solid.

Still lots of cap and some decent prospects for us to wheel in FA or trade and add to the D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

Me thinking it was smart for the Leafs to acquire draft picks while rebuilding is common sense, it doesn't make me a Leaf fan.  I think most moves they've made since then have been at best questionable.  

You on the other hand cheer for the Bruins, have Marchand in your sig and rubbed Canucks fans faces in it while the Bruins were doing well.  

So trading Marleau and a 1st for a 6th is a good move too? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Anyway, what do I think of this trade?

At first it looks like Benning is sacrificing the future to save his job this year.  But actually he's always traded our draft picks away to try to compete NOW so it's more of the same.  The only difference is instead of trading prospects & 2nd round picks he's now traded a 1st rounder.  

Miller is the best player Benning has ever traded for so he will help.  This team is also better than the dumpster fires he tried to prop up in the past.  So can Miller make an impact on a team that has a shot at the playoffs?  Yes.  Do I think a 1st & 3rd is worth that, at the stage this team is at?  No.

In the end I hate this trade.  This management group is only good at ONE thing.  Drafting.  So trading their 1st & 3rd away in what is supposed to be a very deep draft coming up is IMO a huge mistake.  

Is this team ready to actually win some playoff rounds?  No.  Players drafted this/next year should be helping this team when it his it's prime.  Instead we spend those assets on a type of guy that's available in free agency every year.  I'm feeling like an Islanders fan in the Milbury years.  

Can you please point me to the forwards available in free agency that have scored over 20 goals in every year but 1, can play all 3 positions well and are big bodies with skill on a reasonable contract? I won't hold my breath..  You can not like the first round pick but you don't get to pretend JT Miller is bad just because you are clueless about him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We traded a first round pick for a former first round pick (15) in his early prime plus a lottery ticket.  BTW since 2001 only 7 guys from the third round on have played 100 games in the NHL, and only half of them were good...food for thought

Just curious if you had the stats on how many of those were D men?

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

Great pickup! If we miss the playoffs then we get to keep our first next year and it slides to 2021. Seems like many dont understand its a conditional.

Just the usual suspects crying is all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

And if that 1st becomes a 23rd-25th pick? Or better yet a bust?

Problem with evaluating a 1st is that people are assigning a high value to it despite it not being a known value yet.

If you look at the odds, the majority of 1st round picks don't become impact players. But everyone is fearing the worst here.

If its a late 1st, no biggie, no clear evidence that our pick will be anywhere near there.  We aren’t like the Penguins where you can assume a playoff spot.  We could easily be a top 10 pick as much as a 20-31 pick.  Likely in the 10-16 realm.

The bigger problem is, do you really think in the next two years we couldn’t fetch a player better than Miller with a 1st round pick involved.  We now have to hold onto a 1st round pick due to the condition in this trade.

If you think Miller is the best player that we can acquire in the next two years that needs a 1st rounder to acquire, then go ahead and make the trade.  This trade doesn’t seem like very good asset management to me.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s taken some time to digest this move and some research too to calm the nerves.  

This is what I have to say about it:

1.  Benning has been saying for months he’s wants to add quality top six guys and that he wouldn’t give up our young players to do it.

2.  That simply leaves picks or free agency

3.  Quality top six guys on decent/fair contracts won’t be available from a non cap issue team, Miller was an obvious target not considered before.

4. Since LE Benning has been tentative in overpaying for free agents

At first it seemed like too much, more of what it would cost at the TDL, but as a LW last year on the third line he’d be 23 in scoring in the league.   That’s first line LW production these days.  He’s also a mucker along the boards, plays like Horvat and gets pucks.   Something our top line desperately can use.

The cost for a straight across trade would have meant we’d lose a core player and maybe got a little something back depending on who it was.  We basically used our first to accelerate things eight years into a good players prime.  

Took some soaking in, and one can say Bennings legacy pivots in betting on our team now....he’s absolutely addressed the forward group this draft with what we already have....next up defense ...I’m almost certain this summer we will see that transformation too.

A well thought out post based on good analysis of the overall situation.  Well done, thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Oh - you "like the player" now.

A couple hours ago you were calling him a "cap dump".:blink:

It is a cap dump for Tampa, they need the cap dump.

Lucic is a cap dump for Edmonton too, and I like the player.

Marleau was a cap dump and I like the player.

Whats your point?  Would I let a team fleece me out of a 1st and 3rd when you know they have cap problems?  Hell no.

Cap dump for Tampa, overpayment for a decent player for Vancouver yup!

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Sorry a late 1st?  That's just not a fact at all.  Nothing prevents this from being the #1 overall pick 2 years from now.  We just saw what happened with Ottawa & Colorado right?

The plan is for it to be a late first though.  If we don’t make the playoffs in 2 years, then yeah this trade looks bad. 

You can’t assume the worst scenario where we bottom out of the playoffs 2 years and then finish dead last (or win the lottery) though.  That hasn’t happened either.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Flip this thread is funny...

Canucks fans... Can't wait for the draft, come on Benning make a trade bra bla bla...as soon as a trade is made its the worst garbage ever...

Incredible he can't get McD out of Edmonton for Biega and a 6th, as they are close to cap hell...everyone else is doing so good...

Comedy central... Sweet jesus a lot of panic reaction...

A 6th? A 6th? Better be Biega only!

• Haha 1