The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Don't hate the trade. I think many people were initially expecting this to be a pure cap dump, but it's not. Miller is still a very good player, signed to a reasonable contract. It's a typical hockey trade. 

My thought is that Tampa is tight to the cap and needed to move something out, so you would expect a bit of a discount. But it may be that Benning didn't want a cap dump (Callahan) and wanted someone who could contribute. So the price goes back to market value. 

Edited by Lonny_Bohonos_14

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s taken some time to digest this move and some research too to calm the nerves.  

This is what I have to say about it:

1.  Benning has been saying for months he’s wants to add quality top six guys and that he wouldn’t give up our young players to do it.

2.  That simply leaves picks or free agency

3.  Quality top six guys on decent/fair contracts won’t be available from a non cap issue team, Miller was an obvious target not considered before.

4. Since LE Benning has been tentative in overpaying for free agents

At first it seemed like too much, more of what it would cost at the TDL, but as a LW last year on the third line he’d be 23 in scoring in the league.   That’s first line LW production these days.  He’s also a mucker along the boards, plays like Horvat and gets pucks.   Something our top line desperately can use.

The cost for a straight across trade would have meant we’d lose a core player and maybe got a little something back depending on who it was.  We basically used our first to accelerate things eight years into a good players prime.  

Took some soaking in, and one can say Bennings legacy pivots in betting on our team now....he’s absolutely addressed the forward group this draft with what we already have....next up defense ...I’m almost certain this summer we will see that transformation too.

Bingo... Thanks Ibatch... and since its not a FA there is still money in the bank to inprove the team should he choose to do so...

We all know we were needing 1 or 2 top 6 players as well as 1-2 D men. Can he get another D-man, I think we could start to make noises. Play offs this season or next is now the target. 

Bring it on...

27 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah why plan for the future as a franchise.  

Maybe if we were cup contenders I'd be all in for slitting our throats (like Gillis did) by trading all our picks away. 

I love how people here praise all the 1st round picks playing on this team but the one we just traded away is apparently worthless.  LOL jesus. 

Overreact much? Keep in mind the 1st is conditional. If it turns out to be a high end pick, we have bigger issues at that point.

People here are going all doom and gloom, yet we actually got a player we need on our roster. There's word that other teams like Calgary wanted Miller so we clearly had to beat out at least one other team on this.

• Cheers 4

Just now, oldnews said:

you've just made the term "cap dump' meaningless.

You're applying it to a player that is EASILY worth his cap hit. Tampa's tight cap situation does not make MIller a 'cap dump'

If you're determined to talk absolute nonsense, carry on.  Or carry on backtracking - whatever.

Referring to Miller as a "cap dump" is contrived nonsense, and you know it.

Actually cap dump is a term when teams need to dump cap.  Exactly what Tampa did.  Cap dump is not for getting rid of a bad contract.  There is a reason words have meaning, not my problem you have different definitions

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Killing penalties and playing physical isn't important in the playoffs, oh wait.

Miller was more than just points for that team. They're gonna bow out early again because they don't have enough quality role players.

Ya he’s really been a key piece in Tampa’s playoff success the last couple of years..

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Killing penalties and playing physical isn't important in the playoffs, oh wait.

Miller was more than just points for that team. They're gonna bow out early again because they don't have enough quality role players.

For a team needed to stretch every dollar, you need some production out of a guy making more than 5 Million. At that cap hit he needs to be more than a role player, which he'll be in Vancouver.

Tampa can get role players to be physical & kill penalties for less than 5 million.

2 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

If we miss the playoffs we retain our pick..  if we make the play offs no one is going to like that?

The odds of us being a bottom 10 team again are low. Especially if Boeser is healthy all year and has a good off season. Hughes in the line up all year, and and, if another offensive minded d man is acquired? 

I'll bet JB gets another first of high end prospect before July 1st anyway.

We don’t retain the pick, we still give them a 1st, just the next year.  Either way he costs us a 1st

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Hey I can play this game too.

What if it becomes the #1 overall pick?

What if it does become the 23rd overall pick, didn't we get Boeser there?  

You trade the #1 pick or Boeser AND a 3rd for Miller? 

You missed the point completely.

I'm showing that it could be either side of the coin. Everyone is just assuming top 10, when there's just as much chance it's 20th or later.

It's why it's impossible to fully evaluate the trade until all the values are known.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Miller isn't a penatly killer.

That's not really a point of acquiring him.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Can you please point me to the forwards available in free agency that have scored over 20 goals in every year but 1, can play all 3 positions well and are big bodies with skill on a reasonable contract? I won't hold my breath..  You can not like the first round pick but you don't get to pretend JT Miller is bad just because you are clueless about him.

Well free agents don't have contracts.  That's what makes them free agents.  So it'd be pretty hard for me to find free agents on a reasonable contract.  

Also, where did I say he's bad???  I said he's not worth at all what we gave up.  

35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Luongo is so good it makes Schneider expendable.

Schneider is so good it makes Luongo expendable.

Schneider is so good it makes Lack expendable.

Lack is so good it makes Markst... nah. Markstrom is so good it makes Lack expendable.

Sign Miller... Miller is so good it makes Markstrom expendable.

Demko is so good it makes Markstrom expendable.

DiPietro is so good it makes Demko expendable. 

Ok.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Neither would I that is why I like the Miller deal. Not a rental and a better player. 

Miller is better than Hayes I agree, Winnipeg’s pick is also very likely a worse pick to give up.  Our 1st rounder still has a very good potential to be a lottery pick.  Time will tell if it was worth the risk.

Miller IMO is likely not the best player in the next two years we could use a 1st round pick to acquire, vs Winnipeg who was trying to win a Stanley cup and was one of the front runners to do so.

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

For a team needed to stretch every dollar, you need some production out of a guy making more than 5 Million. At that cap hit he needs to be more than a role player, which he'll be in Vancouver.

Tampa can get role players to be physical & kill penalties for less than 5 million.

That can also put up 50 points in the regular season? Good luck.

And Miller was not the only one to struggle offensively in the post season FYI. The whole team did, hence the 4 game sweep. Players making alot more than him too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2